Jimmy Graham to seattle? ESPN believes it is possible...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Chris Mortensen (ESPN senior guy) was interviewed this morning on Mike and Mike (ESPN) and he said that a team like Seattle can afford a player like Jimmy Graham and that it would make absolute sense. Note that whoever signs Graham would owe the Saints 2 first round picks. Mortensen says that 2 first round picks won't hurt the Seahawks that much and here are the reasons:

-Graham is 28 (he has a few more years of good football left)
-Seattle has the 32nd pick (which is not really sexy) this year and will be good next year, so their first round pick will be in the 20+ type range
-One of the missing pieces in Seattle is an end zone type tall receiver (which many have discussed here).
-Percy hasn't been very healthy.
-It would take Grankowsky money to sign Jimmy. Not out of reach for Seattle.

My Comments:
If Seattle is looking to Win NOW, while many of its other pieces are really cheap ... this could be a chance to take. It would be a gamble (just like we took one last year with Percy). Lots of people here have been discussing having a possession receiver, a red-zone tall receiver. So, it is clear, it is a need most would agree with. Personally, I think the price is too steep, not only in draft picks, but also in salary cap space.
I would pass on that.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Mods, if this is the wrong forum, please move. Apologize in advance.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't buy it at all. If he blocked stronger than a beaded door curtain, yeah. But he doesn't.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
They way he disrespected our players in the wild card round, I don't believe Mr "I'm Jimmy" would even make it pre season without being on the IR list. That's if we even signed him.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
As much as I would love a great receiving tight end, PLEASE NO. I think half the team (the defense) already hates him and it's a waste of picks.

chrispy

Reaction score
tweet from Schefter

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
If I'm the Seattle Seahawks or Green Bay Packers, I'm willing to sign TE Jimmy Graham to an offer sheet and to give up to 1's to get him.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I love off-season speculation, especially as Super Bowl Champions. However, as much as I'd like to see the Seahawks add some more dynamic pieces to the puzzle, I don't see Jimmy Graham as being a fit. Our guys terrorized him this season and gave the NFL a blueprint on how to render him ineffective. I also think we could get a TE with the skill set we need for a lower price.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Even Saint's fans are calling him out for disappearing in big games and folding whenever he's touched. No thanks

Throwdown

Reaction score
No thnx

We can't afford to bring in a guy who's soft as hell, 'specially with 3 super stars to be retained in Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
If they did sign him, say goodbye to Bennett and Tate, talk about a mixed bag. The seahawks destroy all tight ends so that should have no bearing. This d would toughen him up. It has legs IMHO. We'll have to see what they do with Bennett. Graham is a game changer and Carroll has been know to aggressively seek that and a big bodied receiver.. This is an interesting story..

bigcc

Reaction score
grab ASJ at 32 for 1/16th the price, keep an extra first rounder in the process. Not comparing ASJ to Graham, but dudes solid in the red zone, and thats all we really need him for..... The two 1sts for Graham I'd do in a heartbeat..... just not for his price.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I have a cheaper alternative. His name is Austin Seferian Jenknins.

Andddd somebody beat me to it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
No way I see this happening. This type of move is completely against the grain of our philosophy under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. The goal is to be able to keep young, productive guys coming in via the draft, and limit the number of expensive free agents we bring in. Not only would Graham be expensive monetarily, he would be horribly expensive in terms of draft capital. Sure, both those number one picks are probably going to be very low, but they're still first round picks, still high in terms of the entire draft. There are a lot of very good players sitting in those positions, and we need picks there to pick them there. Especially with this year's draft being minus a third round pick, this hurts us, and just when we finally get ahead of the ball in terms of drafting need. We're finally at the point where we're able to sit back and draft good players where they fall, instead of drafting good players where they fall and hoping like hell they fill one of our glaring needs. There are much better options than to pull the trigger on such a high-cost, risky move.

TwilightError

Reaction score
"I'm Jimmy" does not fit well in a run first offense. Cant block and wont get enough targets to justify his salary.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2mfo5eqq said:
No way I see this happening. This type of move is completely against the grain of our philosophy under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. The goal is to be able to keep young, productive guys coming in via the draft, and limit the number of expensive free agents we bring in. Not only would Graham be expensive monetarily, he would be horribly expensive in terms of draft capital. Sure, both those number one picks are probably going to be very low, but they're still first round picks, still high in terms of the entire draft. There are a lot of very good players sitting in those positions, and we need picks there to pick them there. Especially with this year's draft being minus a third round pick, this hurts us, and just when we finally get ahead of the ball in terms of drafting need. We're finally at the point where we're able to sit back and draft good players where they fall, instead of drafting good players where they fall and hoping like hell they fill one of our glaring needs. There are much better options than to pull the trigger on such a high-cost, risky move.

Robert Gallery, Matt Flynn, Sidney Rice, Heath Miller, and Percy Harvin disagree with everything you just said.