Uniform changes and Super Bowl success

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
So the thought first came to me when the 'Hawks first went to the Super Bowl in '05. Now that it's been a few years, it looks even more like there's some merit to this observation: teams have a streak of fantastic success, even winning a Super Bowl, within a few years of a major uniform change.

1997 Broncos - back-to-back Super Bowl championships after changing uniforms that year.
2001 Patriots - a dynasty of three Super Bowl championships within four years after changing uniforms a few years prior.
2002 Buccaneers - Super Bowl championship after changing uniforms a few years prior.
2005 Seahawks - Super Bowl appearance after changing uniforms a few years prior.
2013 Seahawks - Super Bowl championship after changing uniforms a couple of years prior.

The only outlier I see is the 1999 Rams, who changed uniforms immediately after winning a Super Bowl. Still, interesting those events came seemingly in tandem. Wonder if the works to change the uniform were already in place that season. Maybe one of our Rams fans can elaborate on that.

I'm sure there are more earlier, but I'm not going to do the research, and I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Still, an interesting relationship - whether causal or simply coincidental. It would make sense, as a change of appearance goes with a change in how a team is viewed. It would appear to be, or perhaps even facilitate, a change of attitude associated with the visual image of the team. Anyone else think there's something to this?

It will be more interesting to see how the Bucs' success story goes after a uniform change that mirrors the Seahawks' change once again.