Colin Kaepernick wants $18M-plus annually from 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Kaepernick is seeking more than the $18.2 million annually that Cutler received in early January, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. If the 49ers aren't willing to meet Kaepernick's asking price, he hasn't ruled out playing the 2014 season on his salary of $973,766 and cashing in as a free agent next offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... from-49ers

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Of course he wants more than Cutler. Kaepernick is better than Cutler, he deserves to get paid more.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not shocked he's better than Cutler. We're probably looking at 20+ for Wilson if he wants it and not a penny less than Keapernick or Newton on the low end.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
They guy has more playoff wins than Cutler and Romo combined, I'd be asking for at least Cutlers money.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1cxv8cyb said:
Kaepernick is seeking more than the $18.2 million annually that Cutler received in early January, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. If the 49ers aren't willing to meet Kaepernick's asking price, he hasn't ruled out playing the 2014 season on his salary of $973,766 and cashing in as a free agent next offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... from-49ers

The only problem with that "cashing in as a free agent" scenario is that as I understand the current CBA, he'd still be a restricted free agent after year 4.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2nm0d1n3 said:
They guy has more playoff wins than Cutler and Romo combined, I'd be asking for at least Cutlers money.
Except that argument is nullified to a fair degree by the fact that the 49ers were one play from the Super Bowl with Alex Smith. Relax, Kaepernick is unquestionably better than Alex Smith, but my point is this is a team game in a big way and "QB playoff wins" doesn't say much; you have to look at the big picture.

P.S., if Romo had been your QB last year, you'd have won the Super Bowl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fn5t75aa said:
lvnginhwktwn":fn5t75aa said:
Except that argument is nullified to a fair degree by the fact that the 49ers were one play from the Super Bowl with Alex Smith. Relax, Kaepernick is unquestionably better than Alex Smith, but my point is this is a team game in a big way and "QB playoff wins" doesn't say much; you have to look at the big picture.

Have to disagree with that one Roland. Romo would have choked in the division and given up 2nd place to the Cardinals.

Kap is worth every penny. I gained newfound respect for the young man in the NFCCG. He almost pulled it off and is dangerous in and out of the pocket. The 2 things that really changed my viewpoint were his comments to Russell "Go get yourself a ring" and when asked if he should have made that throw at the end with Crabtree he said "I'll take that matchup every time."

Now people may say it's foolish to throw against Sherman but that was a hair's width from the 49ers going to and winning the Superbowl. Plus what he said just strengthened the bond between Colin and Crabtree to show that kind of confidence in his WR right after a devastating loss. His composure after that loss is what impressed me.

If SF is smart, they'll take their time like Seattle does and get this done late May, early June, but they will pay him around 18 million a year and try to keep it at that long term so that they can have stability in their roster planning. You give your most important player a 5 year contract with what they initially want, then keep it at that rate throught and that gives you the leeway to sign other players.

I think that's where contracts should differ between the QB and the other 52 players. They always make the other players contract sound big with a nice guarantee but it has a huge number at the end that they will never see. The team knows that, and the player knows that. But with QBs they should make the full contract legitimate with the idea that the QB will see the whole thing. It keeps the team, the QB and the rest of the players comfortable.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It has become very cliche to say Romo chokes away every big moment, but nobody has a better 4th quarter passer rating than him over the past like, four or five years. Not Brady, not Peyton, not Brees...Just sayin'. Lot of people would be surprised if they looked at Romo objectively.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fbjut88r said:
It has become very cliche to say Romo chokes away every big moment, but nobody has a better 4th quarter passer rating than him over the past like, four or five years. Not Brady, not Peyton, not Brees...Just sayin'. Lot of people would be surprised if they looked at Romo objectively.

Until its the game winning/tying drive and well.... He isnt terrible but, he's overated by supporters with stats like that. Not that you're a supporter. Defense has failed him the last couple years but not always. QBR is a stupid stat anyway.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Would Keap make Dallas or Chicago better? I highly doubt it. Rave about his almost in the NFCCG but he also had three critical TO's when they needed him the most.

As for the face if the team I would be embarrassed if he were ours. Don't like Cutler either but his us just demeanor not immaturity and ignorance. I'd take Cutler or Romo on and off the field over Kaep in a heart beat.

ivotuk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":bgfwfa6e said:
Would Keap make Dallas or Chicago better? I highly doubt it. Rave about his almost in the NFCCG but he also had three critical TO's when they needed him the most.

As for the face if the team I would be embarrassed if he were ours. Don't like Cutler either but his us just demeanor not immaturity and ignorance. I'd take Cutler or Romo on and off the field over Kaep in a heart beat.

I disagree on that point. Kaep has much more potential, especially if they can get him to progress through his reads. Having said that, I doubt he ever will progress through his reads because if he can't do it by now, he probably never will.

But if he's in an offense like SF's and has a running game, the man is extremely dangerous. His running ability and "frozen ropes" down the field are downright scary. He's lit up defenses the past couple of years, and that's with a struggling Frank Gore.

If they get Lattimore on the field this year, look out!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ivotuk":33n9s9jk said:
RolandDeschain":33n9s9jk said:
lvnginhwktwn":33n9s9jk said:

Have to disagree with that one Roland. Romo would have choked in the division and given up 2nd place to the Cardinals.

Kap is worth every penny. I gained newfound respect for the young man in the NFCCG. He almost pulled it off and is dangerous in and out of the pocket. The 2 things that really changed my viewpoint were his comments to Russell "Go get yourself a ring" and when asked if he should have made that throw at the end with Crabtree he said "I'll take that matchup every time."

Now people may say it's foolish to throw against Sherman but that was a hair's width from the 49ers going to and winning the Superbowl. Plus what he said just strengthened the bond between Colin and Crabtree to show that kind of confidence in his WR right after a devastating loss. His composure after that loss is what impressed me.

If SF is smart, they'll take their time like Seattle does and get this done late May, early June, but they will pay him around 18 million a year and try to keep it at that long term so that they can have stability in their roster planning. You give your most important player a 5 year contract with what they initially want, then keep it at that rate throught and that gives you the leeway to sign other players.

I think that's where contracts should differ between the QB and the other 52 players. They always make the other players contract sound big with a nice guarantee but it has a huge number at the end that they will never see. The team knows that, and the player knows that. But with QBs they should make the full contract legitimate with the idea that the QB will see the whole thing. It keeps the team, the QB and the rest of the players comfortable.

Wait a minute... Romo chokes all the time (even when it's his defense that gives up the big plays for the loss half the time), but Kaepernick "almost pulled it off" in the NFCCG? You mean the same Kaepernick that coughed up the ball three times for three turnovers in the fourth quarter, and accounted for a single touchdown as the only points after early in the second quarter? The same Kaepernick that threw to probably the worst target available on the determining play of the game? That Kaepernick?

The "Romo chokes" thing is kind of a meme - and a funny one at that. And yea, he's choked away his share of games. But let's not pretend Kaepernick hasn't done so several times too, and in only a couple of years. He's a one-read-and-run quarterback that lucked his way onto a very stacked, talented team, and has done well enough to get them close a couple of times. And he's frittered it away a couple of times, too. Give him a bad year or two, or another couple of chokes when it counts, and the "Kaepernick chokes" meme will replace Romo's awfully damn quick.

His style of play is going to be good for a bunch of wins as long as he's surrounded by some talent. If he has a premier #1 receiver, he can count on just enough passing yardage to force lesser defenses to either sell out for run or pass, and he'll get his yards. That'll work on the bottom half of the league on a pretty regular basis. Decent-to-better defenses will soon learn to shut down his primary read and stack against the quarterback run, along the lines of what the Seahawks did against Carolina and Steve Smith in the '05 NFCCG. If a team simply isn't talented enough to take away the #1 receiver and the quarterback run, they'll have to keep up offensively against the 49ers' stout defense. That will win games for them, but it won't last forever, and it won't win against teams talented enough to expose them. And the more they figure that out, the more Kaepernick will choke away games, provided he doesn't suddenly gain a bunch of awareness and become a cerebral student of the game in his fourth year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sailor, get out of here with your "facts" and "logic". You're getting in the way of a bunch of biased hyperbole a lot of posters in this thread are carrying around!

Subzero717

Reaction score

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qsuzwxv said:
CALIHAWK1":1qsuzwxv said:
Until its the game winning/tying drive and well.... He isnt terrible but, he's overated by supporters with stats like that.
Look where Romo is on the all-time QB 4th quarter comebacks list. Just sayin'.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... career.htm
Tied for 20th?

Are we supposed to be impressed with that?

He's had the equivalent of 7 seasons as a starting QB. He's 63-45 overall. He's had only two seasons when his team has been better than 0.500. He's won only one playoff game in his career.

Generally, he plays pretty well but he just makes the most boneheaded plays that cost his team wins.

He's just 8-8 Tony Romo.

Status
Not open for further replies.