Another Harbaugh article by Art Thiel...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
We will have to ask our resident niner trolls if Artie boy is on the "approved sportswriters" list. 8)

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Historical theater in that article.

I'd forgotten about the murder by crossbow. The whole Ken Behring era started badly and ended worse.

James in PA

Reaction score
No way. Harbaugh said there is nothing to any of these reports. So we know they must be made up. And remember, Harbaugh had no interest in Peyton Manning during his free agency tour a couple years ago either. He just went to visit him and toss the ball around a little. That's it! Damn media always reading too much into things.

Polaris

Reaction score
James in PA":ronwschm said:
No way. Harbaugh said there is nothing to any of these reports. So we know they must be made up. And remember, Harbaugh had no interest in Peyton Manning during his free agency tour a couple years ago either. He just went to visit him and toss the ball around a little. That's it! Damn media always reading too much into things.

Also remember that there was absolutely no interest and no talks with Cleveland regarding Jim Harbaugh as well. All vicious rumormongering. Really.

rigelian

Reaction score
Then again Harbaugh said that "Critics of A. J. Jenkins would look foolish":

" I’ll go on record: A.J. is going to be an outstanding football player. What he’s done in the offseason has led us to believe nothing but that he will be an outstanding football player in the National Football League.” ~Jim Harbaugh

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":sd8srqnj said:
We will have to ask our resident niner trolls if Artie boy is on the "approved sportswriters" list. 8)

:lol:

Really not complicated.

Kawakami + Grant Cohn + Lowell Cohn are the only three Bay Area sports writers you'll see Bay Area sports fans (of any and all teams) disregard, and it's purely because all three of them just write trolling think pieces and don't actually use sources or report anything. They just spend their time creating controversies out of thin air (Kawakami and Lowell have literally been doing this since I was a kid in the 90s, Grant is Lowell's kid and follows his dad).

You can keep track, I'm sure. :)

For instance, even PFT just smacked Lowell around for being the hack that he is, and they rightly accuse him of just trying to create controversy and insert himself into the conversation, a la Kawakami when he was "covering" the Raiders: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... criticism/

Seriously, take these three and look at the comments sections to their posts. Over half the comments are just people making fun of them.

For instance, Kawakami's new "reporting" lists PETE CARROLL as someone who might be the 9ers next coach if Harbaugh leaves. That's even stupid by Kawakami's impossibly low standards. :lol:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -at-no-10/

rigelian

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3px5khi6 said:
For instance, Kawakami's new "reporting" lists PETE CARROLL as someone who might be the 9ers next coach if Harbaugh leaves. That's even stupid by Kawakami's impossibly low standards. :lol:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... -at-no-10/

I think you got too far in your effort to discredit Kawakami here. He basically said it would be amusing if Carroll replaced Harbaugh, but he in no way suggested it was a serious possibility.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rigelian":25mjq5r4 said:
I think you got too far in your effort to discredit Kawakami here. He basically said it would be amusing if Carroll replaced Harbaugh, but he in no way suggested it was a serious possibility.

Yeah, that's reasonable. My point though was that EVERYTHING in this column, just like everything that Kawakami writes, should be read as amusement and not as a serious possibility. Nothing is in that column is based on a single thing outside of Kawakami's own mind. Him acknowledging that his own Carroll spitballing is stupid (while in the middle of doing it) is Kawakami at his best. Typical Kawakami is stuff like this from the same column:

I know this: 49ers execs firmly believes if they’d just fired Singletary 1 game earlier in 2010, and installed Tomsula for Game 15, instead of only for Game 16, they probably would’ve made the playoffs that season and been dangerous in them.

Unless you're a regular reader of Kawakami or know his schtick you might believe that his "I know this" and "49ers execs firmly believe" means that it's actually true or that he actually heard this through sources in the 9ers org. If you do know his schtick you know that for Kawakami "I know this" just means "this spitball of mine seems more reasonable to me than my other spitballs."*

It's why 9ers fans didn't listen to him when he claimed Harbaugh and Baalke's relationship was good in early February (he "knew this" because it made sense to him because winning makes things better), just as they didn't listen to him when he claimed Harbaugh and Baalke's relationship was irreparable three weeks later (he "knew this" because there was word of their disagreement, and because they're both very competitive and don't always see eye to eye). He never knows anything because he doesn't actually cover the 9ers and even for the teams he does cover (Warriors and Raiders) he never actually relies on sources or does any actual reporting.

None of this is Kawakami at his worst though, which is when he gets caught just making stuff up, and spends the next month writing about how awesome he is and how much sh!t he has stirred (what happened when he got caught just making stuff up about the Raiders, and Herrera threatened to clean his clock).

*FWIW where this spitball comes from is someone else's unlinked actual reporting from inside the org that Tomsula could serve as a transitionary coach again if needed. That' reporting that's worth believing, although admittedly much less sexy than what Kawakami claims to "know" from it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Now, coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider get along so well that they won a Super Bowl together and are about one von Trapp short of starring in a sequel to “The Sound of Music.”  Tra-damn-la is everywhere.

Sing it with me!

Doe a deer, a female deer...