Portland Raiders?

Jville

Reaction score
Well, Portland owns and runs Oregon. And, they act like it. I just wish they would pay their way for everything they want ............ rather than reaching into the pockets of those of us who prefer the state of Jefferson.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The Portland metropolitan has a population of 3 million. This is more populous than the metro areas of 11 teams in the NFL (St. Louis, Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, KC, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay).

That said, I think two teams will be moving to Los Angeles before the NFL approves any team moving anywhere else.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Los Angeles is a pipedream. That city is exactly like Kansas City except 10 times larger. It's a conglomeration of a 1000 little cities all backbiting each other.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Well, at least JSeahawks will be able to go to his favorite team's games easier...

I kid! Joke joke! :3-1:

BlueBlood

Reaction score
50 or 60 percent of NFL fans in Portland are Seahawks fans. I just don't see them getting behind the raiders.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Portland would more easily support Green Bay or Pittsburgh than it would the Raiders (if judging by the cross section of fans I've seen).

However, I keep saying it, but no one listens: Portland is not a football town and an NFL team would fail here.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":8tzwsshe said:
Portland would more easily support Green Bay or Pittsburgh than it would the Raiders (if judging by the cross section of fans I've seen).

However, I keep saying it, but no one listens: Portland is not a football town and an NFL team would fail here.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the majority of Oregonians, and Portlanders specifically, reject this idea across the board. What say you, neighbors to the south?

My bet for next move is the Jaguars to London.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1ud28rpe said:

I don't think this happens either (again, L.A.), but I wouldn't be too sure about that.

It's a growing region with a ton of transplants, and they're pretty sports starved. I mean Portland could in no way whatsoever have been described as a soccer town, and the Timbers have truly captured the heart of the city. They're a Ducks town even more than they're a Blazers town.

The Raiders have too much of a storied history to rebrand themselves (they'll stay in Oakland or go back to LA, IMO), but a team like the Jags renaming themselves and moving to Portland is well within reason, IMO. It worked for the Oilers, who had a a much longer history than the Jags and moved to a smaller metro area than Portland.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1sw49enx said:
Los Angeles is a pipedream. That city is exactly like Kansas City except 10 times larger. It's a conglomeration of a 1000 little cities all backbiting each other.

So it's the same as KC but ten times more populous, and KC certainly has no problems supporting the Chiefs. So what's your point, exactly?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ijtw0ukt said:
Sarlacc83":ijtw0ukt said:

I don't think this happens either (again, L.A.), but I wouldn't be too sure about that.

It's a growing region with a ton of transplants, and they're pretty sports starved. I mean Portland could in no way whatsoever have been described as a soccer town, and the Timbers have truly captured the heart of the city. They're a Ducks town even more than they're a Blazers town.

Uh, what? Portland's nickname is Soccer City USA. (The Timbers have existed, in one form or another, since 1975.) The rally around the Timbers is getting to the MLS, and being awesome with Caleb Porter.

Even the Ducks characterization is wrong. Portlanders are ultimately fairweather. Since UO has been successful over the past decade or so, Ducks fandom is more pronounced. But the Blazers are the first love, and you will see Portland rally around them come playoff time. Especially if they get to the West Championship or the Finals.

The Radish

Reaction score
Seaswab":2bys64v2 said:
Where would they play

They could play their games at Seahawks Stadium on the weekends Seattle is on the road.

You know, ride the train like they do now for Seahawks games. Hell Portland residents could see an NFL game live every weekend of the season. And since the Ray-Duhs will not be in the playoffs for the foreseeable future there would be no conflict.

;)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nvhx2ao said:
MizzouHawkGal":3nvhx2ao said:

So it's the same as KC but ten times more populous, and KC certainly has no problems supporting the Chiefs. So what's your point, exactly?

I'll take a guess that the point is there exists a lack of cohesion amongst the various jurisdictions of LA. There are too many mouths to feed, too many separate interests to get the necessary stability from local governments, local businesses, etc. The Chiefs were established at a time of growth and expansion for Kansas City. It was ripe for a pro football franchise. The red tape and logistics of establishing a team and stadium in Los Angeles right now are keeping it from happening.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":33o7hfe4 said:
Popeyejones":33o7hfe4 said:
Sarlacc83":33o7hfe4 said:

Even the Ducks characterization is wrong. Portlanders are ultimately fairweather. Since UO has been successful over the past decade or so, Ducks fandom is more pronounced. But the Blazers are the first love, and you will see Portland rally around them come playoff time. Especially if they get to the West Championship or the Finals.

I don't think you're describing anything particular or unique about Portland. That the currently winning teams in a city are at the forefront of the collective imagination also describes Seattle, San Francisco, and anywhere else.

I was disagreeing with the characterization that Portland isn't a football city (whatever that means). The city shuts down, people are getting together to watch collectively, etc. for the Ducks more than they do for anyone else.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1ytus7md said:
Popeyejones":1ytus7md said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ytus7md said:

I'll take a guess that the point is there exists a lack of cohesion amongst the various jurisdictions of LA. There are too many mouths to feed, too many separate interests to get the necessary stability from local governments, local businesses, etc. The Chiefs were established at a time of growth and expansion for Kansas City. It was ripe for a pro football franchise. The red tape and logistics of establishing a team and stadium in Los Angeles right now are keeping it from happening.

Wouldn't be too sure about that:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/05/los-angeles-nfl-stadium/

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I live here. I have a firm grasp of what happens in this city. (By the way, if you don't know what a football town is, you should google it.)

The city does not shut down for Ducks games. Hell, it doesn't shut down when the Ducks & the Beavers are playing. Because the city is full of transplants who don't have ties to those teams. Portland doesn't have a big football contingent. Certainly nothing like Wisconsin, where I used to live. There, the entire state shuts down at 12PM Central.

Soccer's bigger here, and the Blazers are bigger still (when they're good). If you disagree with my opinion on the city, that's your prerogative, but in my opinion you're ultimately wrong.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^^

1) Yeah, my wife is from Portland and all of her childhood friends still live there, with the exception of one couple who lives in Seattle. We probably spend between four and six weeks a year in Portland (all to say that I don't live there like you do obviously, but I'm not just ENTIRELY speaking out of my backside either :) ).

2) "Football Town": FWIW I said more of a Ducks town than a Blazers town as a response to the claim that it's "not" a football town. Admittedly the "football town" thing doesn't mean much to me as there's no firm definition for it. It's like saying in 1997 that Nashville "isn't a football town" or saying in 2007 that OKC "isn't a basketball town" IMO. Basically it's just way too subjective to be meaningful IMO. My "more of a Ducks town than a Blazers town" is admittedly based on the paraphernalia I see around, and what "the guys" are getting together for when I'm there (there are of course MANY groups of "the guys" though, and not all with the same preferences.

3) Re-reading the "more" of my sentence was buried toward the end of my "city shuts down" sentence. I was saying that in the time I've spent there the city shuts down MORE for the Ducks than the Blazers. You see tons of Ducks stuff around, a ton of Timbers stuff around, a fair amount of Blazers stuff around. Of all the sports the least represented thing is baseball, not football, IMO. Fair enough re: the Blazers, though.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Personally I don't think it would ever happen, but I think it would be lame if the Seahawks blocked it. I would rather have a close proximity rival than claim more "territory."

Portlanders generally hate all things Seattle anyways. Most of them are bandwagon Niners fans because they hate Seattle so much. (Which, by the way, has never made sense to me since any true northwesterner hates all things California, but that's a different subject)