The Market for Corners and Safeties (Byrd, Verner, Talib)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Verner, Talib, and Byrd were the guys to watch to set the market for ET and Sherm's extensions...

Verner (CB) - signed with Tampa. $7M/year, just $14M gtd.
Talib (CB) - signed with Denver. Reportedly $9.5M/year, but numbers will probably drop once details are released.
Byrd (S) - signed with New Orleans, reportedly $9M/year.

All three signed with new teams, and none of these numbers look like backbreakers to me. Good sign for us IMO. Oh, and the entire league basically just decided Revis wasn't worth a non-guaranteed $16M either...

getnasty

Reaction score
Numbers arn't bad but I bet Earl gets 11 a year and Sherman get 13.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Revis doesn't break $10m, then maybe less for Sherm.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Why is Thomas making 2 million more per year than Byrd, that's not going to happen. They were waiting for Byrd to sign as that is what Thomas will make. Or a little over Byrd's contract not by a million or two. I would have tooken Talib at 3 million less per year as well, I am glad Our FO wont pay these numbers.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
If we sign both for $10m each(or 9m/11m), that would be awesome especially given the increase in cap space.

mikeak

Reaction score
Just posted this in the Talib thread then saw this so correcting :)

This is what I am happy about Revis sitting out as a Jet, getting traded to a crappy Bucs and while earning $16 million he received nothing guaranteed and will be cut / restructured tomorrow.

The CB deals today have re-adjusted the market to where Sherman getting $12 / year with $30 million guaranteed is a great deal for him and hopefully it will be even less

We should have planned for that all along

Subzero717

Reaction score
According to Albert Breer Revis is still the best CB in the league. Lucky for us we should be able to save some money since Sherm isnt. Reviss last two years of production clearly support that.

davidonmi

Reaction score
considering Byrd only got 9, we should be able to lock up thomas for 10/11 which isn't a terrible #

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think we can get Earl for $9-10 Mil, jus tliek other will want to stay with the LOB.

And Sherm just went from projected $11-14 to $10-12. His Franchise number would only be about $10mil it might not make too much sense to lock him up right away.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ you lock up Sherman now if you can partially as a sign of respect. You don't make him play out the final year of his contract risking injury. You do right by Sherman and RW who are playing for peanuts

kearly

Reaction score
Was just going to make a post for this. Overall I'd say the market has been set favorably for us.

ivotuk

Reaction score
LOL! The numbers have been falling in our favor ever since Pete Carroll became our head coach. I'm telling you, all his "Better LA" and "Better Seattle" work is paying karmatic dividends!

Last year we need DT/DEs, and what happens? Depressed DE/DT market. This year we need to sign DBs, and what happens? Depressed DB market!

We need a wide receiver or two and what happens? Glut of WR in the draft and 2 former #1s as low cost FAs available (Britt & Nicks).

Hell to the yea!

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Revis signs for ONE YEAR at $12 million. If he accepted a longer term deal, then that number would surely be much lower. (Seems he's quite obsessed with the status of "highest paid CB.") Anyway, more good news IMO.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
No way we extend them at those numbers. That is what they might get on the open market. Remember FA signings in and of themselves are bloated from reality.

Earl Thomas at just over 9 million sounds about right - 6/50 or something along those lines. 20 guaranteed.

Sherm will probably grab about 10/year - 5/50 with 22 guaranteed.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Just give ET and Sherman 5 years/50 million with 25 guaranteed each.
Sherman is 3 mil better than Verner and ET is better than Byrd. Thats actual market value.
The Pats were terribly desperate after losing Talib, and overpaid for Revis.
Similar to the Donks in total FA panic mode, and desperately trying to buy a defense.

Random sidenote: I wonder where Elway ranks himself in the all-time QB conversations... above or below Peyton... LOL.
So far its 2 rings to only 1... and 3 Super Bowl losses to only 2.
Tough calls to make being the Horse Face these days...