Revis signs 1 year 12MM with Patriots-- Sherm Related

lukerguy

Reaction score
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 3m
BREAKING: CB Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal.

(via @AdamSchefter)
Expand

Excellent news for us with Sherm. I would assume that's the figure Sherm gets over 5 years.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Revis is weird dude. He seems obsessed with inflating his "per year" salary just for the sake of being the highest paid CB. A one year deal? Wow. Why not take a little less per year and get a bigger deal? This dude is all about his ego.

Anyway, yes, this is good news for us extending Sherman.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah I do not get why Revis keeps taking these 1 year deals. Even his deal with the Bucs was basically a year-to-year deal.

Seems like he almost hates security...and this from a guy who complained about his contract in New York.

plyka

Reaction score
The man pulled $16m last year and is going to pu $12m this year --that's $28m over 2 years for a non QB....the man is doing something right, please don't feel sorry for him.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Not a Revis fan but there is nothing wrong with his confidence. If he truly believes he's the top corner and he can back it up, this deal is genius for both parties.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
plyka":2du64tlf said:
The man pulled $16m last year and is going to pu $12m this year --that's $28m over 2 years for a non QB....the man is doing something right, please don't feel sorry for him.

I guess in that sense he is smart...take fewer long term guarantees for a higher salary in the short term that becomes fully guaranteed on Day 1 of the season.

However if he gets hurt at any point, that's it.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1tctywsv said:
Yeah I do not get why Revis keeps taking these 1 year deals. Even his deal with the Bucs was basically a year-to-year deal.

Seems like he almost hates security...and this from a guy who complained about his contract in New York.

Hes still getting paid by the bucs, he wants to leverage his year in NE with a great coach into a fat last contract. He's doing absolutely the right thing, he can parlay this 12 million into 3 years 42 million, which he likely wasn't offered right now.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm sure ego plays a part, but this is a smart move for Revis. Or at least, it's smart if he can keep getting these kind of 1 year offers. Long term deals are inflated and deceptive. A 1 year deal is not. So in theory, if he can keep earning these big 1 year deals he'd come out ahead. That's pretty risky, but with all the money he already has in the bank I guess it's a risk he's willing to take.

Also, let's not brush over the fact that Revis isn't going to the Browns or Raiders. He's going to a team that has a very real chance to win a Super Bowl.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2yg6d10y said:
HawkFan72":2yg6d10y said:

Hes still getting paid by the bucs, he wants to leverage his year in NE with a great coach into a fat last contract. He's doing absolutely the right thing, he can parlay this 12 million into 3 years 42 million, which he likely wasn't offered right now.

Revis doesn't need to do a "prove it" contract. He's Darrelle Revis and he played very well last year. Someone would've gladly handed him a long-term deal if he wanted it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The real winner in all of this is Bill Belichick, though. Loses his premiere CB and then signs a slightly better one for less guaranteed money.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
lukerguy":2k8skwbw said:
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 3m
BREAKING: CB Darrelle Revis and the New England Patriots have reached agreement on a one-year, $12 million deal.

(via @AdamSchefter)
Expand

Excellent news for us with Sherm. I would assume that's the figure Sherm gets over 5 years.

How is 12 million good news? I imagine that Sherman realizes he is in another class than Revis. If he comes at a reasonable price, it will be on him and no one else.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1mo8qx5x said:
lukerguy":1mo8qx5x said:
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 3m

(via @AdamSchefter)
Expand

How is 12 million good news? I imagine that Sherman realizes he is in another class than Revis. If he comes at a reasonable price, it will be on him and no one else.

Because with the inflated number Revis was at, many thought that's where Sherman would aim for. Now that its down to 12, it's a more workable number for the Seahawks IMO. Hopefully the number will be closer to 11 now, but most likely it will be about 13

And no...Sherman isn't in another class than Revis. All around CB, I think Revis is still the best

bigtrain21

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1ml1z7un said:
lukerguy":1ml1z7un said:
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 3m

(via @AdamSchefter)
Expand

Remember, we can start negotiating with him this year which is his last on his rookie deal so we can essentially buy out that last year with the security of a long term contract. That should help things as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope the Patriots draft well and host the Broncos for the AFCCG this season. I'd like to see an actual hard-fought championship game in the AFC this year. I mean, imagine if we had gotten to see a game as close and exciting as our NFCCG was.

mikeak

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2vk8gbny said:
HawkFan72":2vk8gbny said:

Bucs was $16M / year - $0 guaranteed. So no not getting paid by the Bucs

But as pointed out $28M in two years....

I like it pushes Sherman more to <$12M then the opposite. That should fit our plans

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You guys realize that multiple years at 10-11m with 25-30m guaranteed is a far superior deal than one year at 12m right? I can't understand why people get so wrapped up in per year averages without thinking about the bigger picture.

If I offered to pay you an essentially guaranteed $30m over three years or $12m for one year and making you gamble for the rest, which are you taking? Think about it.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I agree BUT if you get $16 then $12 and then a three year guaranteed $30 million isn't that the best outcome?

Maybe not better from the start but hard to argue with results right now

It helps Seahawks though.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
mikeak":2pw5wcyi said:
^ I agree BUT if you get $16 then $12 and then a three year guaranteed $30 million isn't that the best outcome?

Maybe not better from the start but hard to argue with results right now

Yeah but you have the whole injury risk. The reason having a ton of guaranteed money is good is because it guards against that.