Update: Walter Thurmond visits SF; signs with Giants

Marvin49

Reaction score
Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN·7 mins
Seahawks UFA CB Walter Thurmond @WaltThurm3: "Now off to San Fran." He plays the nickel position.

What do you guys think of him? Interesting that Terrell Brown is still sitting out there and they are looking at other corners.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":fleeltuu said:
Seahawks UFA CB Walter Thurmond @WaltThurm3: "Now off to San Fran." He plays the nickel position.

What do you guys think of him? Interesting that Terrell Brown is still sitting out there and they are looking at other corners.
Good solid player who can move outside too, just keep him away from pipes.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Thurmond sort of regressed playing in the slot late in the year. Maxwell took his #2CB slot (that Thurmond got when Browner was injured) and never relinquished it. He's still a solid player, though.

I actually like Tarell Brown quite a bit. I'm guessing Thurmond would be the better move if he comes cheaper than Brown, but in a vacuum, I'm not sure who is better. Probably Brown, I'd guess.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
walter thurmond III‏@WaltThurm3·25 mins
Great visit with Gus and the Jaguars Organization, some good people. They're headed in the right direction. Now off to San Fran.

drdiags

Reaction score
He can be a good slot corner, as well as a starter. I would take a look at him as well if I were the 9ers. It could be a leverage play on Brown as well.

Another item that is sure to get some convo here is the following

walter thurmond III ?@WaltThurm3 24m
Great visit with Gus and the Jaguars Organization, some good people. They're headed in the right direction. Now off to San Fran.

It's never personal its business, just how the Hawks let red and everyone else walk. Obviously there is a reason I haven't signed back yet.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3pu9jplv said:
Marvin49":3pu9jplv said:

Good solid player who can move outside too, just keep him away from pipes.

And gawdy jewelry/outfits... guy dresses like the count from sesame street.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gee, Thurmond, "Obviously there is a reason I haven't signed back yet" sounds awfully personal for someone claiming it's all just a business.

drdiags

Reaction score
I also think if he hadn't gotten suspended, he would have ended the season as the starting CB over Maxwell. Maxwell got his chance and never let go.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
LOL. Sounds like some Seattle fans aren't too happyabout it. :D

walter thurmond III‏@WaltThurm3·6 mins
People need to chill, I haven't made a decision. It's a visit. You know like college recruiting,same thing smh

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We don't want players that can actually play to go to SF, for obvious reasons. :)

The Seahawks organization seems to be the "DB Whisperer" of the NFL, he'd likely represent an upgrade for you guys.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3caglcj7 said:
Gee, Thurmond, "Obviously there is a reason I haven't signed back yet" sounds awfully personal for someone claiming it's all just a business.

Kinda like how I sense Tate was hurt that Seattle didn't value him nearly as much as DET did, and kinda like how Tate had a few "upset under the surface" tweets after we acquired Harvin, I bet Thurmond got what he might think is a lowball offer and is offended by that.

Marvin, Twitter is the dregs of fandom, so of course there are people that are the worst already whining on Twitter.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":zdym8iui said:

People need to chill, I haven't made a decision. It's a visit. You know like college recruiting,same thing smh

Well, the guy did get paid to nurse injuries forever, only to return, be promoted and then get suspended. I'm fine with him going to SF because I don't think SF improving is bad for the rivalry and I have no problem with making fun of him as a 49er if he were to sign.

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wkr89s2 said:

There are trolls everywhere. Money talks, everything else walks. With limited options, he just has to do what he needs to do to continue his career.

Fans will get over it. Those that called him a PED pusher will now have open arms for him if he changes to their colors. A few of those who defended him will now be dropping F-bombs or N-bombs on him. Goes with the territory.

Erebus

Reaction score
I can't see the 49ers offering him a contract. He's been suspended before, and they're above reproach. :sarcasm_off:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Our guys sure like to pay a lot of attention to negativity on twitter, don't they?

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":66ibjycl said:
We don't want players that can actually play to go to SF, for obvious reasons. :)

The Seahawks organization seems to be the "DB Whisperer" of the NFL, he'd likely represent an upgrade for you guys.

definately agree there. you guys are outstanding at finding DBs and I'd say we're equally as good at finding LB's

I wonder what numbers Walt would command.. 5'11 190lbs runs a 4.5 and about 26 years old.. groomed in the house of the seahawks.. he definately does deserve a look :).

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":3d49p30u said:
RolandDeschain":3d49p30u said:

definately agree there. you guys are outstanding at finding DBs and I'd say we're equally as good at finding LB's

I wonder what numbers Walt would command.. 5'11 190lbs runs a 4.5 and about 26 years old.. groomed in the house of the seahawks.. he definately does deserve a look :).

Seems unlikely that he would be offered more than a one year prove it deal. Anything over 1 year 4 million would shock me. He has never proven himself to be anything more than a serviceable #2. He did OK is in the slot because of the rest of the team, not his talent. He has injury/drug/suspension history.

The seahawks know this, and we have valued him appropriately (very low). That is why he is visiting super desperate teams.

bryantology79

Reaction score
drdiags":1k29f1cw said:
I also think if he hadn't gotten suspended, he would have ended the season as the starting CB over Maxwell. Maxwell got his chance and never let go.

i feel the same way...wt3 just seems more gifted while maxy is a pitbull and really works on his craft which is why he was able to hold on to the job. i hope walt doesnt go but the injury risk/history and him being able to get paid better makes it easier to say bye.

maxwell earned that #2 spot, but if BB gets re-signed would he be able to reclaim it? of course not right away.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what we get from Tharold Simon.

I am also guessing that we have a slot corner targeted in the draft because I don't see one on our roster, and the FO is still lax about Thurmond. Do any draftniks know who we might take to compete for that position? Any explosive athletes that can play that position in particular?