Brandon Browner

HeatEquation

Reaction score
I'm a Pats fan and I am excited about this signing (along with that of Revis.) I think this brings an attitude and physicality to our secondary that we haven't had since our SB years.

But as fans who have watched him for several years, what are your opinions of him?

sutz

Reaction score
Loved him, but he had some injury issues the last year or so, and the drug suspension is a negative.

Best of luck. A lot of us were kind of hoping he'd stick around here, but best of luck to you. Sounds like your secondary is coming around.

drrew

Reaction score
Great guy to have across from Revis.

Super physical, if he gets his hands on the WR at the LOS, the route is done. Can have trouble with speed guys but outside Mike Wallace, there isn't much speed at WR in your division. Will get more than his share of PI calls, but you just learn to live with it.

If/when he loses a step, it won't be pretty because he only has marginal speed for the position, but until that happens, New England will be very happy with him.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
If you are forgiving of DPI flags, and cheat a safety his way because his coverage is not the best...

Then he won't ever let you down as far as beating the crap out of WRs and creating turnovers.

Lithium

Reaction score
Brandon Browner is a pimp, its that simple. Probably wont find too many people on here who wouldn't have wanted him back but luckily we got a guy like Maxwell who is just as good and much younger. He's gonna hit some people, get in some fights, pick off some balls and get called for some PI's and you'll love every minute of it.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Browner actually cut down pretty significantly on his penalties IIRC over the last couple of years, but he definitely will get flagged a few times because of his style of play. His coverage skills have improved since his first year with us, but as others have said, he can struggle with deep coverage. There was no way the 'Hawks were likely to be able to afford to bring him back, but IMO a great player, assuming he's healthy and not suspended. Hope he keeps up the great work with you guys.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2jigiru0 said:
If you are forgiving of DPI flags, and cheat a safety his way because his coverage is not the best...

Then he won't ever let you down as far as beating the crap out of WRs and creating turnovers.
This. I am happy you guys gave him a payday. You will love him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Manhandles receivers. Gets in their heads.

He brought a physical style of play on a level that we had never seen before and some call him the original member of the Legion of Boom.

He will be called for penalties, though. That's the trade off you have to make with a player that is that physical. He will not back down from anyone.

But he struggles with speed receivers. I remember when Mike Wallace was with the Steelers, he torched Browner all day. Browner was never able to jam him at the line and he couldn't keep up. So that's something to watch. Over his last year, with the suspensions and injuries, he did not seem like the same player. He seemed a step slower and Byron Maxwell outplayed him by a good margin. He would have lost his starting job even if he had stayed with us another year.

But if your coaches can scheme to put Browner in the best situation possible for his skills (as ours did) you will love him.

Despite the penalties, we loved what he brought to the field.

One of my favorite Browner moments of all time was him taking on Greg Jennings—or rather, Greg Jennings trying to take on Browner (from the "Fail Mary" game). This is the type of penalty you will see from him that is totally worth it:

fightpack.gif

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Patriots fans, if you notice your defense being more physical and more badass, (I don't mean better, I mean tougher) you'll pretty much have Brandon Browner to thank for that. He's a bad man. :) In Sherman's rookie season in 2011, he yelled at Sherman to stop being a wuss and accused him of being starstruck when he was going up against Fitzgerald and ordered him to do his job, haha.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He can press and track a guy down a straight line very well. He gets abused by double moves. Plays ugly in zone -- so I don't think he can play safety. You'll probably need to cheat a safety over to help him as a CB, which Seattle was able to do since it had Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. Was benched for a half earlier this year for poor play. SEA's defense improved both times he was suspended.

I love BB for what he did for Seattle, but personally, it feels like NE overspent. The groundswell for bringing him back was minimal to non-existent. Finished the season as perhaps the 4th or 5th best CB on the team. Seems we're glad to talk him up since he had a heroic story and caught a raw deal from the league, but I don't recall any significant talk of retaining him around here or any tears shed when he signed with NE. Doesn't seem as though SEA even offered him a deal (but they have talked to CB Thurmond).

Just being honest. I love the man and wish him the best. Thought some fans were too harsh on him early in the year. Still a more promising DB than most out there due to his size and mentality, but I was surprised by the deal.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It is great he is with the Patriots. He can still win and will bring a can of destruction with him to a team that needs it. Plus he is not even in the conference. Great pickup for NE.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think Bellychick will play Browner smart, and dedicate Revis to #1 receivers. Browner saw alot of #1 receivers fleeing away from Shermans half of the field, exposed him more then necessary (which was part of the plan but yeah).

Hopefully, he plays BB in predominantly press coverage. Not getting his full value playing him off.

drdiags

Reaction score
You should see if you can find the video of Browner on punt coverage where he blows up 3 guys while Leon Washington is fair catching.

He is pretty good at smelling out the slip screen and the short crossing stuff. He almost won the "Fail Mary" game late when he punched out the ball on a short pass. He made an amazing play on the Panthers in '12 where he played the Cam option, forced the pitch and stripped DeAngelo (I think) where he ripped the ball out of his hands. He will not back down from anyone and he has some deceptive speed on interception returns.

He was hurt early this season and was sat for a few series because he was being targeted. He had trouble against the Colts when TY Hilton was having a big day against the secondary. He plays the run well. He does have some chicken legs. I think he will do well for the next 2 seasons.

One of my favorites who almost blew a chance to succeed after being overlooked in his prior time in the NFL.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Just hope he doesn't see TY Hilton, TY might be a damn HOFer after what he did to our secondary last season though.

You guys got a steal though in Foxboro with Browner, he's a fan favorite here.