Is kicker position that cant be improved throug competition?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I guess you can include punter is here as well but what made me think about this is a throwaway comment someone made about drafting a kicker to compete with Haush. But that got me thinking, will a kickers value ever really be improved simply by having more competition. Of course you need to hit a certain base before making it as a kicker in the NFL, through leg strength and what not.

But the art of kicking is so mentally based I feel like its a little like golf. You get in a grove and you ride out that groove until you hit a slump. It is imperative for kickers and golfers to be loose and not tighten up, which can be caused by higher stress positions brought upon by competition. That isnt to say other positions dont want to play loose, but I believe kicking is much more mentally based.

So anyway, basically my point was that Mora is dumb for keeping 2 kickers the whole year, and there is a reason hardly any coaches ever do this. No too much of a point to this but can anyone think of another position where competition would not always be welcomed?