Ian Rapoport: Jared Allen mulling options

kearly

Reaction score
UPDATE: Melton to Dallas. So Dallas is out of the picture for Allen, if they were ever in it.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/445980424972800001

Jared Allen plans to head back home after his #Cowboys visit to weigh his options. Don’t expect a decision today. He’ll talk to his wife 1st

Discussing with the wifey? Sounds like he wants to make a decision soon. I can't imagine the Cowboys have any chance for him. Not sure if the retirement talk is a bluff, but things could get interesting pretty soon.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Allen,

It is time for a ring. Come to Seattle, great place for the family. Mountains, ocean, hunting, camping, fishing. Call Percy.
12th man going insane with each sack. Complete the circle. Seattle is the best choice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2gsm1bh2 said:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/445980424972800001

Jared Allen plans to head back home after his #Cowboys visit to weigh his options. Don’t expect a decision today. He’ll talk to his wife 1st

Discussing with the wifey? Sounds like he wants to make a decision soon. I can't imagine the Cowboys have any chance for him. Not sure if the retirement talk is a bluff, but things could get interesting pretty soon.
John Abraham took til the last week of July last year to sign.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":31xirc5s said:
John Abraham took til the last week of July last year to sign.

I'm in "long haul" mode myself, as is JS. Anyone wondering why Seattle has been so quiet in free agency hasn't put 2 and 2 together.

That said, I would be surprised if it took THAT long for Allen. Reasons:

#1: Allen is three years younger right now than Abraham was last offseason. Abraham was also cut coming off a great season, which would cause teams to at least wonder if anything is secretly wrong with him. Whereas I think teams have stayed away from Allen mostly because of the price tag, they stayed away from Abraham because of the risk.

#2: Allen, at least for a moment, received a $10 million a year offer from Denver. Abraham never got more than bargain basement offers. It's possible Seattle's offer could be in the $5-$7 million range, and if Allen takes too long, that offer could fall off the table. I don't think Abraham would have blinked if he were offered a 2nd tier pass rusher money. Allen is probably realizing that 2nd tier money is the best he's going to get.

#3: I would imagine Allen wants to play for Seattle pretty badly. I think his retirement statement is probably a bluff, not because he is money grubbing but because he enjoys the game more than most. Really hard to envision him walking away with some good seasons still in the tank.

Maxman186

Reaction score
i think he wants to play for us but he is having a hard timing coping with the fact that he wont get elite money

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
With McDonald gone, #69 is now available. All part of JS's master plan.

Maxman186

Reaction score
With Cowboys signing Melton, i think Allen either retires or is a Hawk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I used to have a mullet, and when my friend suggested I get it cut, I said "I'll mull it over." 8)

drdiags

Reaction score
No reason Allen can not also go to Dallas along with Melton, since the Boys cut Ware along with losing Spencer and Hatcher. If they want to, I would bet they can sign them both. Same as the Seahawks would have.

EDIT: Scratch that. Depending on how Melton's contract is written, to sign Allen along with Melton would require cutting several players, since only a small number have cap savings. Most of the players have a negative cap impact if cut. Miles Austin only saves around $40K. DeMarco Murray and Mincey are one of the few that have a plus cap impact over $1M. Cowboys are in pretty bad cap shape. Not a lot of flexibility.

James in PA

Reaction score
Allen isn't retiring. That was a lame negotiating tactic that didn't work. Dude is a great player but nobody is going to give a 31-year-old a mega huge contract.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
People said the same thing about Seymour last year and guess what he retired.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
ivotuk":3rnki58k said:
I used to have a mullet, and when my friend suggested I get it cut, I said "I'll mull it over." 8)

Awesome and awesome.

drdiags

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but probably makes sense to put it here:

Found this tweet from an hour ago

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson 1h
Seahawks I'm told might just offer Jared Allen $4 million for one year.

I believe the tweeter is a Minny sports reporter. Not sure how he would know, other than being a pal of Allen.

Chris Tomasson
Covering Minnesota Vikings and NFL for St. Paul Pioneer Press. Longtime NBA writer.
Twin Cities

King Dog

Reaction score
Makes sense though. No one has signed here other than a few of our own players, so I assume we're low balling everyone.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'd question 1 year 4 mil too if I were Allen.... somewhat insulting. Dude has some gas in the tank, and is seeing the deals these other guys are getting.

theascension

Reaction score
Is there even anything for a Redneck like Allen to do in Seattle? Can he spell Espresso?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bigcc":1iyxvth0 said:
I'd question 1 year 4 mil too if I were Allen.... somewhat insulting. Dude has some gas in the tank, and is seeing the deals these other guys are getting.
Whose fault is that? You have to be a very elite player at the top of your game to sit around in free agency as long as you want pondering options and still get top dollar. He's getting a little old to try and swing his weight around this way. I'm going to laugh if we sign him for a year at four million.

Latest posts