New rule change proposals. For your gasping entertainment.

Cartire

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... proposals/

Rule change proposals:

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for extra points to the defensive team’s 25-yard line.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 players at its facility, and allow other clubs to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

I figured since this was a factual list of proposed changes, I could paste all of them since it's not copyright. I didn't paste any of the other stuff from the link.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rule change proposals:

1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for extra points to the defensive team’s 25-yard line.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

Harbaugh complaint.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

Harbaugh Complaint

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

Harbaugh Complaint becasue of LOB

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 players at its facility, and allow other clubs to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed.

I added where I though the complaints came from on a few of these and why the rules changed

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
It's getting insane. Kick off from the 40? They might as well not even kick it, just start from the 20. What a waste of one of the most exciting plays in football.

And pass interference within 1 yard of scrimmage? There goes press corners. QBs will just instantly fling it to a receiver being pressed.

A lot of these seem fairly biased against Seattle's defense,

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I'm confused by #11. How is that a proposed change? They already keep the clock running.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":2370a23v said:
I'm confused by #11. How is that a proposed change? They already keep the clock running.

I believe the clock stops to respot the ball and then begins after the refs whistle. This change would not stop it at all.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Cartire":uy4yq17d said:
HAWKAMANIA":uy4yq17d said:

I believe the clock stops to respot the ball and then begins after the refs whistle. This change would not stop it at all.
Oh, the respot. No respot stoppage time? Lame.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Throwdown":v22vf2u3 said:
PI within a yard of the LOS? Is that a Harbaugh rule?
Dumb rule proposal. Will not happen. Besides, isn't defensive holding already taking care of this issue?

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Scottemojo":124i8b0p said:
Throwdown":124i8b0p said:
PI within a yard of the LOS? Is that a Harbaugh rule?
Dumb rule proposal. Will not happen. Besides, isn't defensive holding already taking care of this issue?
Sort of what I was thinking. Definitely a Harbaugh proposal.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I like almost all of it. Numbers one and 12 are ridiculous. Might as well eliminate kickoffs; and can we call #12 "The Peyton Manning Deserves a Chance Rule"?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Screw Harbaugh. Wouldn't be surprised if he was behind kicking off from the 40 considering he's facing the prospect Percy's KO returns the next 5 or so years.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
#7 is okay, as long as they don't add a third challenge flag for it.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":3r4x6nj8 said:
#7 is okay, as long as they don't add a third challenge flag for it.

I still think it's ridiculous to limit the amount of challenges that were won. My proposal. Give the coaches two red flags. If they lose a challenge, they lose a flag. If they win, they get the flag back.

mikeak

Reaction score
I was thinking Denver got involved on the 12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

I really like by-law number 5

Most important change is clearly by-law change number 7. I can't tell you the number of sleepless nights I have had due to that 6pm cut-off. I am so happy they are moving it to 4pm........

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Pass interference within one yard of the line of scrimmage is a dumb rule since it is a spot foul.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I absolutely do not want #12 instituted; however, I can't help but wonder what would happen if it was. Would we see our DBs play off and be less aggressive, or would this cause them to literally start charging WRs the instant the ball is snapped? It'd be pretty funny if it wound up making receivers get their asses beaten even more by Seahawks DBs.