Walter Thurmond on SiriusNFL

AgentDib

Reaction score
Looks like Thurmond received a "similar" one year offer to stay in Seattle but felt like he needed a change of scenery.

Rough Interview transcript:

Q: Welcome, what was behind signing with New York?

A: There's a great group of guys in seattle, of course this is a business and you have to make business decisions. I really believed in the coaching staff of the Giants and where they are headed. In this league nothing is guaranteed, but the New York Giants have a history of winning and I think they have a good plan. Sees himself as a nickel cornerback but will compete for a spot on the outside. They are going to get his best and he is all about winning and competing.

Q: Without giving stuff away, what is the difference vs. how it is in Seattle?

A: I think the defense is pretty similar minus the different personal. With the mindset that we had in Seattle it was a really physical, aggressive mindset and that is where we are headed in New York. Defense wins championships as we saw in the Super Bowl, and they are trying to bring that to New York.

Q: How has your offseason been?

- It's been a lot of relaxing. Finishing the year in the month of February is a bit different since OTAs start, so I spent a while recovering. Now i'm getting ready for OTA and trying to

Q: Any trepidation about moving to New York area?

A: I'm looking forward to the opportunity to move, during the Super Bowl and then I went back about a week and a half later. It's a great place and I am looking forward to living there.

Q: What were your priorities in the FA search?

A: Really the opportunity to compete for a starting job, and the vibe with the coaching staff. The direction in which they are going - they are not all about losing and they definitely want to win. You can see that in the guys they brought in during the offseason, they really want to revamp that defense up.

Q: Tell me if you can what Seattle's interest was? What was Seattle's level of interest?

A: It was a similar situation with a one year deal, I just felt personally that I needed a change of scenery. I've been in the Northwest for 10 years and I am looking forward to moving on with the next chapter in my life.

Q: How do you bottle up the type of experience you have in Seattle and bring it to the New York Giants? Do you try to bring that competition in and get everybody excited?

A: Most definitely, part of my DNA is being a competitor. The goal is to win and I"m going to comepte to the best of my abilities. I'm going to bring that to New York and my Work Ethic as well, it really comes down to feeding off one another after somebody makes a play, then everybody else wants to make the next play. It was the competition within ourselves that made us great.

Q: Did you sit down with Coughlin?

A: It was great, he's a real cool guy. It really caught me by surprise but he had great energy and it is really all about winning and trying to change that culture that they had.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
If he was offered a similar contract, he took the Giants offer with the chance to start.

washmont

Reaction score
I guess he forgot about those high state income taxes in his math

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm sure he loves the notoriety that a player gets in NY too. Thurmond is a character, and his suits and style will go well in New York.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
ivotuk":2w6lunku said:
I'm sure he loves the notoriety that a player gets in NY too. Thurmond is a character, and his suits and style will go well in New York.
very true