Potential to be a Bum

Brahn

Reaction score
How many years does it take the typical NFL player to go from the guy who has "So Much Potential" to a guy who is just a bum? We hear it every off season. Guy was cut and picked up by a team who believes he has "So Much potential" or a player is talked about in the media for multiple seasons as a person with so much upside and potential but never produces.

Does it depend on if you have a strong work ethic, but just does not produce?
Does it depend on if the player is on a rookie contract?
Does it depend on the position?
Does it depend on the player having a series of streaky highlight reel plays?
Does it depend on the media just picking someone and forcing it down the throats of the consumers?
Does it depend on if Bigfoot is real?
Does it depend on anything?

Then you have those who have been in the league for a bit. Do they still have potential or are they basically where they will roughly remain?

Does Cam Newton still have potential or has he reached where he will be? What about Matt Ryan?Russell Okung?

Anyways was thinking about this myself and decided to check the pulse(on the neck, sorry no digital checks).

chris98251

Reaction score
I think those that are satisfied just getting to the NFL are the ones that fade, they go thru the motions and train, they practice but the hunger to push sometimes dissapears. The guys that keep it are the ones that reach a higher platue.

OP
OP
B

Brahn

Reaction score
chris98251":1mpzc1tc said:
I think those that are satisfied just getting to the NFL are the ones that fade, they go thru the motions and train, they practice but the hunger to push sometimes dissapears. The guys that keep it are the ones that reach a higher platue.

I completely agree. I am talking more so about the media's side of it. Basically how long will they milk one cow before mooooooving on to the next one. Does the media and real FO see potential on different lengths. I know they do, but what do you feel is the gap?

chris98251

Reaction score
Brahn":p0nmc7xh said:
chris98251":p0nmc7xh said:

I completely agree. I am talking more so about the media's side of it. Basically how long will they milk one cow before mooooooving on to the next one. Does the media and real FO see potential on different lengths. I know they do, but what do you feel is the gap?

Ahhh ok, well look at it this way, some guys get it and some don't, the player in question will fade from attention if he gets it, guys like Pac Man Jones and even Ryan Leaf who find new ways to garner headlines. Leaf has been out of the league for years now but still gets his time on the headline grid as a bust due to not getting it. Jones was once again linked to a situation.

The media has these guys in their police blog searches I can imagine since they seem to get into some kind of trouble routinely.

mikeak

Reaction score
I saw the title and clicked on this thread thinking that some NFL player is starting a new entourage and we could apply to be a bum and live from his earnings.

Very dissapointed right now

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":1870cpt9 said:
Yep, you just described Curry and Sanchez.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Actually this is full of wisdom from those that do get it. Some people reach that plateau when they reach the draft and are picked. That is all they had in their mind is making it to there. Some reach for the best position they can achieve, which is what bucky is doing in denvur. Some have expectations that will never be met, so they try to push others to make them look better. Then there are those that buy into a system of what the coach/boss/supervisor want, and they succeed to the surprise of others that played them down. Those are the ones you want on your team. They understood that it is not just the bare necessities that make you good, it is just a stop on the way to greatness or betterment that you have traveled. I do like philosophy although I never took the course in college.....we just discussed it a lot over beers....years ago. :)

Latest posts