NFL will ban dunking over goal post

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FOX Sports: NFL ‏@NFLonFOX 4m
The NFL will reportedly penalize players for celebratory goal post dunks next season.

Paul Pabst ‏@PaulPabst 44m
NFL Head of Officials Dean Blandino told @dpshow that dunking the ball over the goal posts will be a penalty next season.

My question: why? Who is actually bothered by this? And this is what happens when you get a bunch of old white rich men in a room together and tell them to make up new rules every 12 months.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":196my4l7 said:
The NFL will reportedly penalize players for celebratory goal post dunks next season.

NFL Head of Officials Dean Blandino told @dpshow that dunking the ball over the goal posts will be a penalty next season.

My question: why? Who is actually bothered by this? And this is what happens when you get a bunch of old white rich men in a room together and tell them to make up new rules every 12 months.

Its probably because Jimmy Graham actually bent the goalpost down once which suspended play until the goalpost could be fixed.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marvin49":31r14o6d said:
DavidSeven":31r14o6d said:

Its probably because Jimmy Graham actually bent the goalpost down once which suspended play until the goalpost could be fixed.

By that logic, the NBA should have banned thunderous dunks the first time Shaq broke a backboard.

James in PA

Reaction score
What if they ATTEMPT to dunk it but it turns out to be more of a layup? (Listen up, Malcolm Smith).

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3k7j0k70 said:
Marvin49":3k7j0k70 said:
DavidSeven":3k7j0k70 said:

By that logic, the NBA should have banned thunderous dunks the first time Shaq broke a backboard.

Not saying its a good rule...just saying that's probably what facilitated the rule change.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So....Would an alley-oop with a non jam work? Kinda gotta bend around the stupidiity rules as they usually do. :p

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They're banning all uses of the ball as a "prop." Thus, no dunks, no finger rolls, no fade-away jumpers, etc...

zifnab32

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":r4ld4zuo said:
So....Would an alley-oop with a non jam work? Kinda gotta bend around the stupidiity rules as they usually do. :p

What about a nice 12 foot pullup after curling around a well executed screen?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":15z2p7sh said:
Marvin49":15z2p7sh said:
DavidSeven":15z2p7sh said:

Darryl Dawkins broke more than one many years before Shaq did. Chocolate Thunder babeeeeeee!

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Ban the hanging on the goal post, that's what caused the delay. Stupid ass No Fun League

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Are they trying to get people more interested in baseball and soccer?

Shit.

May as well convert all the fields into Electronic Football field, and watch a bunch of mannequins vibrate around for a few hours.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1sy5lnyq said:

Its because most of the white players cant jump high enough to dunk over the goal post..........lol

253hawk

Reaction score
Good. I've always hated it, especially with all of these former-basketball-player-OMG TE's that do it every. Single. Time.

Just be like Lynch and do a couple of firm handshakes, then get your ass back to work because the game's not over yet.

Marvin49

Reaction score
253hawk":11vxul17 said:
Good. I've always hated it, especially with all of these former-basketball-player-OMG TE's that do it every. Single. Time.

Just be like Lynch and do a couple of firm handshakes, then get your ass back to work because the game's not over yet.

LOL....Vernon actually clanked one and started doing the fadaway.

amill87

Reaction score
253hawk":cup39xbr said:

I've always thought it was kinda lame. Probably because Graham does it and I think he is a total douche.

Lynch's handshakes are so awesome. Probably one of the funniest celebrations in the league imo

mikeak

Reaction score
Graham bent the goal post TWICE including delaying a TNF game

So yeah that is why

Now in regards to the NFL - I fail to see how this truly changes the fun of the game. Kind of annoying if a game gets delayed by the delay.

Dunking is a part of the NBA and part of the game - this is different

Cartire

Reaction score
Could care less either way. Occurs when the clock isn't running. Pointless.

It's gone now. Woopdee doo. Won't even notice it's gone.