PAT's moving back to the 20 for preseason

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 22396.html

It seems that the first step toward making the extra point a substantial part of the game is coming this preseason. For the first two preseason games, teams will line up to snap extra points from the 20-yard line, making them about 38 yards instead of 20, which has been the standard. A proposal for a new permanent rule to snap extra points from the 25-yard line was tabled. By experimenting in the preseason, the NFL can see how it goes and determine if that's something it wants to implement.

OP
OP
AbsolutNET

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
What're the odds that the only PAT missed this year after the rule is implemented will be week 17 after the Patriots score to come within 1 with a few seconds left?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2z76byic said:
What're the odds that the only PAT missed this year after the rule is implemented will be week 17 after the Patriots score to come within 1 with a few seconds left?
Would be sweet justice.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24i1y67w said:
AbsolutNET":24i1y67w said:
Would be sweet justice.

This would make me cackle in utter, evil, delight! Bwahahaha! I would love it if it happened to the Lions who I believe cut their kicker this year.

Wouldn't be perfect if we made it to another SuperB Owl because an opposing team missed an extra point in the NFCCG? :twisted:

Edit: I can hear the talking heads now,

"well Russell Wilson is still a game manager and if it weren't for that missed extra point, Pete's "Rah-Rah" style would never work in the NFL, and if it hadn't been for Michael Crabtree being injured and Aldon Smith being suspended, and Von Miller being out and Ryan Clady being injured. If not for all that, the NFL would be just as we predicted."

tom sawyer

Reaction score
So if the team tries for a 2PT conversion... you must go 20 yards?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3uw22lm6 said:
I'm down with it.
Same. I'd also be a proponent of letting them kick from like, the 36-yard line for a 53-yard attempt for two points instead of one. (Range can be adjusted accordingly to achieve the preferred level of difficulty.)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":1q90due2 said:
So if the team tries for a 2PT conversion... you must go 20 yards?

No. 2pt conversions are still handled from the 2-yard line.

In other words, the percentages for success for PATs and 2pt conversions would become a lot closer, and it would spur teams to try for the 2pt conversion more often.

I don't think it's about hating kickers, either. I think it makes the kicker position more valuable because the guys who can manage to consistently maintain a higher success rate will be more handsomely rewarded. Right now, kickers are more fungible due to the fact that PATs are a joke.

OP
OP
AbsolutNET

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
In the video, Bellichek says PAT's are currently a non-competitive play. It's impossible to block a kick so why even bother? Make it a competitive play by increasing the difficulty

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
If they really wanted to make extra point kicks exciting, they'd redo the rules to allow teams to overload one side and launch a blocker with another player, both of which are illegal now. You'd see far more blocked kicks, which is infinitely more exciting than "Hey, he missed it. Now they're only up by 13 points."

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
So teams are going to battle it out and because some kicker misses a long extra point we are going to give the game to the other team, this is absurd.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3ezo65n0 said:
So teams are going to battle it out and because some kicker misses a long extra point we are going to give the game to the other team, this is absurd.

Any more absurd than teams lining for a PAT currently and all players just milling around half-heartedly as the kicker puts it through the uprights? The only play that is less competitive is the victory formation kneeldown (now that Schiano is out of a HC gig).

If you're worried that your kicker isn't good enough to give you that consistent PAT from 37-42 yards or so, then go for 2.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":274cip2x said:
If they really wanted to make extra point kicks exciting, they'd redo the rules to allow teams to overload one side and launch a blocker with another player, both of which are illegal now. You'd see far more blocked kicks, which is infinitely more exciting than "Hey, he missed it. Now they're only up by 13 points."
True and Belichick alluded to that in his proposal.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":fe7dd84c said:
I tend to agree with this idea. This is going to introduce another level of fluke into a game that's already pretty fluky as it stands. I get the idea that the PAT as it stands is pretty automatic and in a way useless, but I'm not really interested in introducing even more volatility into football. If we're really that annoyed by the lack of excitement on the PAT kick, then just go with the other suggestion and abolish it straightaway and give teams the option of taking a free 7 for a TD or taking 6 and going for 2.