Defense is a Vestige of the Past

RedAlice

Reaction score
Someone said that, in words. LIke all serious.

"The old adage is that “defense wins championships.” As discussed last week, that cliché seems more and more like a vestige of the past with each passing season, as the NFL becomes more and more focused on offense ahead of defense."

http://cover32.com/falcons/2014/04/29/p ... n-the-nfl/

Jets are the 4th best D.
Denver is the 6th.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":31ys7m8f said:
NFC West
1. Seattle
3. San Francisco
5. St. Louis
8. Arizona

I sense a pattern here.

Arizona should be 7???? LOL
:thirishdrinkers:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":kt5g1v1l said:
MizzouHawkGal":kt5g1v1l said:
NFC West
1. Seattle
3. San Francisco
5. St. Louis
8. Arizona

I sense a pattern here.

Arizona should be 7???? LOL
:thirishdrinkers:
That would have been awesome but every team in the division top 8 or better is quite badass already. Poor AFC West.... :mrgreen:

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1bs1emtu said:
That would have been awesome but every team in the division top 8 or better is quite badass already. Poor AFC West.... :mrgreen:

Exactly. The entire NFC West is going to cut through the AFC West like a hot knife through a stick of butter. I'll even root for the Cards and Rams when they play (SF--nope, cannot do it).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Defense is dead?

Lets see....

NFC Playoff Teams

Seattle: # 1 D
Carolina: #2 D
SF: #3 D
NO: #4 D

NFC Championship features #1 and #3 Defenses in NFL.

SB Winner had best D in NFL against best O in the NFL...and it was a boat race.

Defense still wins championships.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice bait and switch on the article. I don't mind though, great way to get people's attention :D

"some of the best offenses in NFL history weren’t able to lead their team to a Super Bowl victory.

Dan Fouts and Air Coryell never lifted the Lombardi Trophy.

The 1999 Minnesota Vikings came up short,

as did the record-setting offense of Tom Brady and the New England Patriots in 2007. A

nd just last season, Peyton Manning’s high-powered attack in Denver was bested by Seattle’s swarming defense in the Super Bowl.

So while the league may be trending toward offense, defense is still important. Stopping people is still a part of any championship formula"

Pretty cool poll on which inter-conference match people want to see most, 53% Seattle vs Denver.

Friend of mine is a San Diego fan and bemoans the fact that they have to play Seattle in the preseason and the regular season. :twisted:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ivotuk":mrr1nji0 said:
Nice bait and switch on the article. I don't mind though, great way to get people's attention :D
Bait & switch? It's from the opening paragraph of the article, and sums up the (absurdly stupid) point of the article accurately.

:229031_shrug:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Many of the teams in the past were known for having strong offenses, but come the playoffs and the Super Bowl it was their defense that stepped up and made it easy.

Remember the 90s Cowboys? The Dyna Niners? They both had exceptional defenses that played well in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Even the Giants haven't won one without having their defense step up. Those are teams that have an era behind them, not just a single season. Old school Pittsburgh is part of that conversation.

Packers in 96 with Reggie White, 85 Bears, 2002 Tampa, 2005 Steelers, 2000 Ravens. All won with defense as their focus.

I suppose the key is that with a good defense, the offense has a much better chance of putting up more points than the other guys. That is not about to change anytime.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2nc56wwc said:
Many of the teams in the past were known for having strong offenses, but come the playoffs and the Super Bowl it was their defense that stepped up and made it easy.

Remember the 90s Cowboys? The Dyna Niners? They both had exceptional defenses that played well in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Even the Giants haven't won one without having their defense step up. Those are teams that have an era behind them, not just a single season. Old school Pittsburgh is part of that conversation.

Packers in 96 with Reggie White, 85 Bears, 2002 Tampa, 2005 Steelers, 2000 Ravens. All won with defense as their focus except the Packers.

I suppose the key is that with a good defense, the offense has a much better chance of putting up more points than the other guys. That is not about to change anytime.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Also, Peyton's only ring came when elite safety Bob Sanders was out for most of the year but returned for the playoffs, and they faced a pretty weak Rex Grossman-led Bears offense to boot. Just food for thought.

JZ#1

Reaction score
The only reason Denver's defense is ranked high is because the entire AFC sucks monkey balls.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
They were the league’s best defense a year ago, surrendering less than 300 yards of total offense per game
They're quoting raw total yardage stats. These guys don't know bupkis.

OrFan

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2653dx51 said:
They were the league’s best defense a year ago, surrendering less than 300 yards of total offense per game
They're quoting raw total yardage stats. These guys don't know bupkis.

C'mon. Everyone knows yards are a great stat. Over and over I see teams that win 400 yards to 319 yards. :sarcasm_off:

Points scored vs points allowed is the only, and I do mean only stat that matters.

OP
OP
RedAlice

RedAlice

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":9xnxan5s said:
MizzouHawkGal":9xnxan5s said:

Exactly. The entire NFC West is going to cut through the AFC West like a hot knife through a stick of butter. I'll even root for the Cards and Rams when they play (SF--nope, cannot do it).

I'd love to see:

NFC W: 16 W
AFC W: 16L

chris98251

Reaction score
They could implement the mercy rule you have in Pee Wee leagues for the AFC West.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":1o6e9ifo said:
They could implement the mercy rule you have in Pee Wee leagues for the AFC West.
Screw that, Papa Pete loves to get our backups playing time in real games.