Per ESPN, Browns WR Josh Gordon facing 1-year suspension

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BREAKING: Browns WR Josh Gordon could be facing season-long suspension after 2nd failed drug test. (via @OTLonESPN) » http://es.pn/1m7Ul6r

And this is why no other team traded their 1st round pick for him last year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
They really should revisit that policy... What a shame.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ussgfdy said:

Why? Why can't these players just not smoke weed and be happy they are making millions of dollars to play a game?

I'm sorry but if my job was like "Hey.. we're about to pay you 8 million bucks a year.. just uh.. don't smoke weed ok?" guess what.. I'm not smoking weed.

rlkats

Reaction score
Crazy. Thank God my Niners did not get him last year. Wow

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, it could be for pain management. If you were in excruciating pain all the time and didn't want to murder your liver with conventional pain killers, maybe it's a risk you might take. That's definitely something that should be studied within the league. Of course, a lot of these guys could just be young knuckleheads, too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":15xj0nmy said:
Laloosh":15xj0nmy said:

Why? Why can't these players just not smoke weed and be happy they are making millions of dollars to play a game?

I'm sorry but if my job was like "Hey.. we're about to pay you 8 million bucks a year.. just uh.. don't smoke weed ok?" guess what.. I'm not smoking weed.

I honestly couldn't agree more. It's not like you're going to get away with it. No one else has. So why do it ?

Sac

Reaction score
Hawks46":1tlhl9xf said:
Hasselbeck":1tlhl9xf said:
Laloosh":1tlhl9xf said:

I honestly couldn't agree more. It's not like you're going to get away with it. No one else has. So why do it ?

The funny thing is, they don't even have to quit. Just only smoke in the off season when the cba says they can't be tested.

Although, once it's legalized nationally they really should drop the penalty. It's stupid.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":2isjprwf said:
Hasselbeck":2isjprwf said:
Laloosh":2isjprwf said:

According to most players, about half the league gets away with it every year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3d0slfkn said:
Laloosh":3d0slfkn said:

Because I think the punishment far exceeds the crime.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":1xnmk7u4 said:
Hasselbeck":1xnmk7u4 said:
Laloosh":1xnmk7u4 said:

They know the rules ahead of time. My company has random drug testing. Guess what? I don't do drugs so I won't get fired. If I do, and I get fired, it's my own damn fault.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
In more bad receiver news for Cleveland, Nate Burleson broke his left arm in minicamp. The same arm he broke in the car accident last year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seanhawk":u5xvw56e said:
Laloosh":u5xvw56e said:
Hasselbeck":u5xvw56e said:
Laloosh":u5xvw56e said:

They know the rules ahead of time. My company has random drug testing. Guess what? I don't do drugs so I won't get fired. If I do, and I get fired, it's my own damn fault.

Good for you and your company. I happen to think that it's a ridiculous notion that they even need to test for Marijuana in athletics. I'm aware that they know the rules. I'm also aware that they're primarily kids.

If they were operating a race car at 200+ MPH I'd feel differently about it.

[edit] Meanwhile, guys like Aldon Smith are smashing cars into trees due to alcohol use and being allowed to practice the same week.

If you're going to test for pot, why not test for alcohol? How many people die every year related to alcohol versus marijuana?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Laloosh":dtva6rhj said:
Seanhawk":dtva6rhj said:
Laloosh":dtva6rhj said:
Hasselbeck":dtva6rhj said:
Laloosh said:

Good for you and your company. I happen to think that it's a ridiculous notion that they even need to test for Marijuana in athletics. I'm aware that they know the rules. I'm also aware that they're primarily kids.

[edit] Meanwhile, guys like Aldon Smith are smashing cars into trees due to alcohol use and being allowed to practice the same week.

If you're going to test for pot, why not test for alcohol? How many people die every year related to alcohol versus marijuana?

Check. Mate.

amill87

Reaction score
Laloosh":1wld7co3 said:

Because you can't test for alcohol unless the person recently drank it. Its silly to use that as a comparison. Really it's simple. The NFL says no pot and you get millions of dollars. It's that simple. Hate the rule all you want. That's what it is. You break it, you're suspended. Period.

Laloosh

Reaction score
amill87":2vkbfgsr said:
Laloosh":2vkbfgsr said:

Because you can't test for alcohol unless the person recently drank it. Its silly to use that as a comparison. Really it's simple. The NFL says no pot and you get millions of dollars. It's that simple. Hate the rule all you want. That's what it is. You break it, you're suspended. Period.

Yes, it's in the CBA so they should be smart enough to avoid getting caught at the very least. That doesn't mean it should be in the CBA.

If the CBA included a clause stating that they can't wear black socks, they'd have to abide by it but it would be equally as arbitrary. By your logic, the rules shouldn't be questioned because they're making a lot of money. Do you think someone should be banned from the league for wearing the wrong color socks? A rule stating that you cannot be under the influence while participating in any league event/game or in any league facility would make a ton of sense. A 24 or 25yr old kid's career being cut short for doing something that has zero impact on how they do their job seems unnecessary to me. "Hey kid, you can drink or do all of the Vicodin you want, just don't smoke pot or your career is over with."

As for alcohol being a bad example of something they should test for because it doesn't stay in their system; that's ridiculous. A random test is a random test. If I remember correctly, they only test players once per season for marijuana (unless they're in the substance abuse program). My guess is that you'd have a much higher positive test ratio if you were to "randomly" test players for alcohol on Saturday mornings. Do you disagree?

Do you think that the NFL would fall apart or that players would suddenly become couch potatoes or criminals if they simply stopped testing for it?

mikeak

Reaction score
I am in a position where I get random drug tests and will get fired if testing positive. With that said these players takes huge hits day in and out. One has to believe that smoking pot simply helps them walk upright... I do give them some benefit of a doubt for that simple reason