Michael Sam docuseries in the works

A London Hawk

Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ies-704189?

"Oprah Winfrey's OWN has ordered a docuseries centered on Michael Sam, the gay football player who was just drafted by the NFL's St. Louis Rams.

The series will follow the University of Missouri alum as he prepares to earn a spot on the Rams."

Opinions from the Rams fans we have around here?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
"An openly gay football player should not be treated any differently. We should focus on his work on the field not his sexual orientation."

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
-The Glove-":26kqk67s said:
"An openly gay football player should not be treated any differently. We should focus on his work on the field not his sexual orientation."

This.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I'm against anything that interferes with the team.

Per Nick Wagoner, Rams were not aware of this documentary when they drafted him and access to Rams Park will be extremely limited. Hopefully that is true.

nategreat

Reaction score
volsunghawk":34i11z02 said:
From a human interest story viewpoint, it's a great idea. From a football standpoint, it's a terrible idea. Bad move if football is really your focus, Sam.

He'll probably get more money for being starred in the documentary series than his rookie contract. Or at least double his money. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Very tired of this story. It's all they are talking about on Sirius NFL radio. You would think that Jesus Christ came back and suited up for the Lambs.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way the Rams will be able to cut this guy. The media is pushing him as the gay version of Jackie Robinson and you don't dare cut Jackie Robinson. They'll be stuck with an undersized unathletic DE on their roster who will be a constant distraction.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tin foil hat on: I think Roger asked Fisher to draft Sam. Fisher has always been Roger's handboy, every year when the NFL wants a stupid rule explained to the media it is Fisher they trot out, no matter how much his team was an offender of that new rule the previous year. And Fisher ALWAYS toes the company line when he explains those rules.

So Roger asks the Rams to use a late compensatory on Sam, PR problem over. Fisher then goes on to make sure reporters know Sam is not above being cut. Fisher has no plans of having this PR nightmare follow him all year.

Does Sam know his chances of making that team are slim and none? Hell yeah, just like he knew the PR implications of lip smacking his BF on national TV. At the combine, Sam looked very uncomfortable with all the attention, but in the meantime, he has grown quite comfortable with the attention. He has made the big leap from pre-empting the media on his story to being the guy who runs with the story. He has some good advisors, no doubt.

This is about money and exposure (which could mean future money). He stands to make a lot more from TV than he does with the Rams, who I think have no intention of keeping him. Oprah is going to make bank off of this, and the Rams should be very nervous. The slightest mis step by a single player or coach who isn't politically correct enough COULD result in a story that makes the league look like a bunch of homophobic asshats.

That favor that Fisher did for Roger could turn out very bad. I really doubt it gets a completely positive spin form Oprah and co.

OP
OP
A London Hawk

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Something like the Gilette Pressure Points series might have made sense, it would have at least been less intrusive (I'd imagine) than what's being planned now.

I might be wrong, but I can't see this helping Sam in the locker room.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Michael Sam is all about one thing: his 15 minutes.

Now he's cashing in, naturally because he knows he isn't an NFL player.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TXHawk":7ou5ivtq said:
I don't think there's any way the Rams will be able to cut this guy. The media is pushing him as the gay version of Jackie Robinson and you don't dare cut Jackie Robinson. They'll be stuck with an undersized unathletic DE on their roster who will be a constant distraction.
From a Hawk standpoint, I would love it, he'd be wasting a roster spot.

From a football fan standpoint, I'd be so annoyed. It'll be breaking news when he gets his first tackle. Breaking news when he gets his first sack. Breaking news when he knocks down a pass for the first time. It'll be an absolute circus, and if you think it's bad now/before the draft with how much coverage he got, just wait if he makes the team...

These networks have talked about Michael Sam more in the past few months than they have the Hawks the past few years.