Colts DE Robert Mathis Suspended for Violating PED Policy

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
#Colts star pass-rusher Robert Mathis is suspended for the first 4 games of 2014 for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing substance

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
NFL suspended Colts' pass rusher Robert Mathis four games for violating policy on performance enhancing substances.

Big blow to Indy.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I do recall thinking it was strange that he turned into an absolute beast at age 32 and seemingly out of nowhere.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There's this though:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 28s
Backstory of Mathis’ positive test includes him taking a fertility drug to help his wife become pregnant. And she now is. Statement coming

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
His official statement:

It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double check before I took the medication at the end of last season. The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the Commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union. The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":24824ptp said:
I do recall thinking it was strange that he turned into an absolute beast at age 32 and seemingly out of nowhere.

His performance was enhanced alright.

Tumblr m28huzxFq61r3zat8

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ch240rm said:
There's this though:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 28s
Backstory of Mathis’ positive test includes him taking a fertility drug to help his wife become pregnant. And she now is. Statement coming

Definitely a more creative excuse than adderrall. I at least give him credit for that. :)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Dude is still an idiot for taking the prescription without getting consent from the league or clarifying that it was a banned substance.

Mathis' agent said the punishment is "unjust and unfair." Yeah, if you live under rock. How many players have been busted on something like this, claimed ignorance and actually had their suspension reversed? Something like zero?

It is the player's responsibility to know what they are putting in their body, whether it is a banned substance or not.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I say screw it. Big deal. That is essentially what happened to Moffitt, didn't report it. Players are allowed to take Adderall with a prescription, I don't know about Fish Boost though.

Dude did ball out for an old guy. Oh well.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
These guys know perfectly well that they should be reporting every script they get, period. Of course maybe there is more to the story.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think it is silly that PEDs are even suspension worthy. Do we really want to see a version of pro or college ball where the guys aren't using PEDs? The prevalent use of PEDs in sports is part of what makes these guys freaky entertaining athletes who running faster, hitting harder and jumping higher than ever before.

Credit to Mathis for the creative excuse, but that sounds exactly like something you would take to stop the production of estrogen after coming off of a steroid cycle (though again, it doesn't matter to me if he's using steroids).

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
The story sounds true until you hear that he has other kids and never had an issue with it before. That, and the fertility drug is commonly used by people that take steroids when they're through with their cycle to keep the juice from deteriorating too quickly.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The NFL issued a statement in response to Mathis's claims. Here's part:

“The drug for which Mr. Mathis tested positive is not approved by the FDA for fertility in males and is a performance-enhancing drug that has been prohibited for years. Importantly, Mr. Mathis did not consult with the policy’s Independent Administrator, a physician jointly approved by the NFL and NFL Players Association. Nor did he consult with his team doctor, the team’s training staff, the NFLPA, the league office or the hotline established under the policy to give confidential information to players. Each of these sources would have warned against using this substance. A cornerstone of the program is that a player is responsible for what is in his body. Consistent application of the policy’s procedures is critical to the integrity of the program.”

City Of Reign

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1jiygnv2 said:
I believe Mathis in this case..The guy was always a Beast and it was him that made Freeney get the stats..When the Colts switched to the 3-4 he was allowed to move all over the line,this is also why he had good numbers ..It wasn't "suddenly" he just put up numbers...He's been all-pro multiple years.. Always been a real good player..I've been watching him since he came into the NFL..I wish the Hawks had him...

not.jpg