June 1 could result in mini-surge in free agency

Jville

Reaction score
After 20 years under the current free-agency system, more and more teams are figuring out the value of waiting until after June 1 to pursue certain free agents.

For players whose contracts were terminated (like receiver Santonio Holmes), the compensatory-pick formula won’t be an issue after June 1 because it never was an issue. The compensatory draft picks are determined only by gains and losses via veteran free agency.

I'm assuming we should see some movement on Jermichael Finley's destination for 2014.

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/01/june-1-could-result-in-mini-surge-in-free-agency/[/urltargetblank]

As Alex Marvez points out, "the NFL formula used to determine the extra selections annually granted for free-agent losses also takes into account the number of free agents a team signs before a June 1 deadline. To secure compensatory choices and potentially improve the round in which they are granted, some franchises are intentionally waiting until after June 1 to bolster their squads with veteran acquisitions."

Link more Seahawk oriented >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/6/1/5769564/june-1st-an-important-day-in-nfl-offseason[/urltargetblank]
Schneider has said that the team is not yet done in extending their own guys, but several of the top remaning free agents still on the market have shown interest in Seattle.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, if you're going to opt out of the first week FA frenzy, which the Seahawks tend to do, it makes sense to wait for this milestone, especially if all you're looking for are role players and rotational guys, which is mostly what the Seahawks need, anyway. I'm not all that sure they need all that much of those types, either. We did a pretty good job in the draft, IMHO, at picking guys for spot duty and grooming for a couple of seasons down the line.

But, as usual, we'll see. Schneider does a good job of being unpredictable, in his predictable way of doing things.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
BlueTalon":26ch2doc said:
I wish the Hawks would have kept Red and Clem to the end of their contracts. Our comp picks would be sooooo much better.

How do you figure that?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Daniel Teo Nesheim is unsigned? Guy must have struggled. Looking at his stats his only good season was at Tampa in 2012. Maybe injuries?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
LOL ....... it's been really really slow. Backups, special teams, and filling out roster spots. Certainly not a surge as I understand the term.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I see the Saints waited until June 2an to sign center Jonathan Goodwin. That deprives the 49ers of consideration for a compensatory pick in 2015 for the departure of Goodwin.

:D

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jville":pvcnkvre said:
I see the Saints waited until June 2an to sign center Jonathan Goodwin. That deprives the 49ers of consideration for a compensatory pick in 2015 for the departure of Goodwin.

:D
Okay... we'll consider that the "s" of the surge... "s", but only for the START of the surge. :D

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I didn't know that about compensatory picks and June 1, thats awesome

Hawks will obviously get the max 4 picks next year, hope one is a 3rd! (which it should be for Golden Tate)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":349ev45s said:
BlueTalon":349ev45s said:

How do you figure that?
Yeah, I don't get that comment either

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1ysxn1ym said:
Ziggyy108":1ysxn1ym said:
BlueTalon":1ysxn1ym said:

How do you figure that?
Yeah, I don't get that comment either
It would also mean that we most likely don't extend Earl, Sherm and/or ADB this year.

Not a very well thought out comment.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
So ..... I guess once Kevin Williams gets into town on Monday or Tuesday and signs his contract, we will have seen a delayed mini-surge.

At least we didn't miss out. :229031_shrug:

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Jville":1r114vog said:
So ..... I guess once Kevin Williams gets into town on Monday or Tuesday and signs his contract, we will have seen a delayed mini-surge.

At least we didn't miss out. :229031_shrug:

lol

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
140616williams600.jpg

It's official now ..... we have our post June 1 mini surge :spaz: We didn't get left out.

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-bolster-defensive-line-depth-by-adding-six-time-Pro-Bowler-Kevin-Williams/69473168-07d8-49e6-9f6a-1f079cc652c6[/urltargetblank]