First Appearence By Each NFL Franchise on the cover of SI

Basis4day

Reaction score
PQ8JS2Z

http://imgur.com/gallery/0b3gw

Really cool to see them all in one place. I'm somewhat surprised it took until 2005 for the Hawks to make it. Thinking back though, the only person i'd expect would be the Boz around his debut.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Anyone who would argue that the East Coast bias against the Seahawks is a lie, look no further. Hell, Tampa Bay made the cover in their (our) inaugural year!

Unbelievable.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Wow we didn't make it until 2005? Ridiculous

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Basis4day":9ekxzkou said:
PQ8JS2Z

http://imgur.com/gallery/0b3gw

Really cool to see them all in one place. I'm somewhat surprised it took until 2005 for the Hawks to make it. Thinking back though, the only person i'd expect would be the Boz around his debut.

I remember the Boz being on one when I was a teen, but iirc he was still a Sooner predraft.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":3nqouuem said:
I remember the Boz being on one when I was a teen, but iirc he was still a Sooner predraft.

Yup. That's correct.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":p2f5l8d0 said:
Anyone who would argue that the East Coast bias against the Seahawks is a lie, look no further. Hell, Tampa Bay made the cover in their (our) inaugural year!

Unbelievable.
This ^^^

But if we win 2 or 3 more Owls in the next 10 or so years, that may finally change. Then again...........not only did Tampa Bay get on the cover their first year so did another east coast team, Miami ('66).

EDIT to add: Wow, I had forgotten OJ started off with number 36 his first season.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2fgm2ewb said:

Unbelievable.

East Coast bias?

Oakland: 1968
LA Rams: 1961
San Diego: 1963
San Francisco: 1954

Now, maybe you can make the argument that there was a more significant East Coast bias back in the 60s through perhaps the 80s, and West Coast teams had to do more to merit a cover. But to be blunt, from the late 80s through the early 2000s, what did the Seahawks do to deserve a cover, really? If you're not good, you don't get covered for the most part. Notice that the Steelers didn't get a cover until 1971, and they'd been around for about 40 years before that.

I'd argue that the bias toward the East Coast in the past doesn't exist now, but the effects of it still do. Teams that were embraced in the past became fan favorites and therefore received more coverage. And that status has remained while teams like the Seahawks have to get by more on merit because they don't have that link to the storied past. If Seattle can maintain their current level of excellence and grab a couple more Lombardis, they'll reach that level, too (it will help that we are keeping Sherm and Wilson long-term... those marketable faces help increase the team's visibility).

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Strictly speaking, the first Seahawk to ever grace the cover of SI was Keith Butler in 1982, but not in a good way:

1982SIcover.jpg