Clinton McDonald a most important TB Buccaneer signing......

Jville

Reaction score
Clinton McDonald is one of the least talked-about but perhaps most important signings the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made this offseason.
4666357250 standard 7090
If we look at what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers used to do, back when Monte Kiffin was still the defensive coordinator, the answer is kind of obvious: Clinton McDonald will be the team's main nose tackle. Because that's what the Bucs used to do.
But the approach to the nose tackle position really hasn't changed. Lovie Smith and his fellow Tampa 2 acolytes still prefer disruptive, quick nose tackles. They still prefer pass rush ability over stoutness. And that means Clinton McDonald will almost certainly displace Akeem Spence as the team's primary nose tackle.
[urltargetblank]http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/6/15/5804872/clinton-mcdonald-will-displace-akeem-spence-as-nose-tackle[/urltargetblank]

drdiags

Reaction score
I'm happy for Big Mac, he has always been a under the radar player going back to his Bengals days. I didn't think he would be back here and he ended up getting a nice payday with the Bucs. To go from being cut, to Superbowl champ to well-paid FA, he had a great year last year.

Best of luck to him and the other ex-Seahawks. I am forever in their debt.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I really liked Clinton from the get go here. I remember when he first got here and told the story of being in the practice squad in Cincy. He would show up and greet the team in the middle of the night when they would arrive back from rosd games. He said some guys would laugh at him. I hope he gets the last laugh. A good situation couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think he's a huge loss for us, but fortunately we have some options to fill the gap.

The Bucs might be a competitor this year.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3lnhy7bj said:
They'll be running McCoy, McDonald, and Johnson out there on the D-Line. McCoy will likely be double-teamed and should open up lots of interior opportunities for McDonald. He's probably going to have a career year.

I'd like to see that outcome :th2thumbs: And, since Clinton had his break out year in Seattle, his evolving story would add to recruiting efforts and future player development in Seattle. The D-line rotation approach appears to be paying dividends for both Seattle and the league.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's overlooked because he didn't play up to his abilities in his first few years. Cincy and Seattle recognized his talent and kept giving him try outs but he just wasn't motivated enough.

Clinton said the last time he was cut by Seattle last fall that "I sat at home and really thought about where I was going, my responsibilities to my family and I rededicated myself."

THAT, is when he became a great player and helped us get to, and win the SuperB Owl.

We have fantastic replacements though, maybe not as physically gifted and light on their feet, but they are pretty close and there will be minimal drop off.

imaho, that the defensive line will improve after we replaced Bryant and Clemons with younger, more athletic players. Especially since we added KW to the DT rotation.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
ivotuk":2wpmppqm said:
He's overlooked because he didn't play up to his abilities in his first few years. Cincy and Seattle recognized his talent and kept giving him try outs but he just wasn't motivated enough.

Clinton said the last time he was cut by Seattle last fall that "I sat at home and really thought about where I was going, my responsibilities to my family and I rededicated myself."

THAT, is when he became a great player and helped us get to, and win the SuperB Owl.

We have fantastic replacements though, maybe not as physically gifted and light on their feet, but they are pretty close and there will be minimal drop off.

imaho, that the defensive line will improve after we replaced Bryant and Clemons with younger, more athletic players. Especially since we added KW to the DT rotation.

I hope the best for the guy but I believe we didn't resign him because of the high probability he will revert back to his previous ways now with his new contract. We have seen it far to often when a player has a breakout year in their contract year and that we actually released him and no one picked him up is a huge statement to what kind of player he was before he rededicated himself.

I think you also have to question how much his team mates were responsible for his production. He was never going to be a player teams game planned for, at least not in our system in his first year of actual production and we had many other guys like Bennett, Avril and Mebane that did as well as our secondary. Even if he stays motivated there is a good chance he will still regress.

I wish him the best, He is part of why we finally have a super bowl trophy but I will be surprised if he will actually be the big signing Tamps is hoping for. Hopefully he earns his full contract for them.

BASF

Reaction score
brimsalabim":13datkmq said:
They will be better on defense but worse at QB1.

QFT. Glennon did not play poorly for a rookie. He has the potential to be much better than McCown. After 13 games of starting, sitting on the bench probably won't help Glennon at all. Plus, Lovie may have alienated some players by simply giving McCown the job outright instead of stating that their is competition between the two.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I also wish Clinton the best. I do suspect he may be still be juggling the trade offs of playing weight. When he was released last year, it is my understanding he was at or just under 300 pounds. When he returned and broke out, he was a more agile 275 pounds. So ..... for continued success, I would think Clinton and Tampa Bay will need to define his role at his most competitive playing weight.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jville":3pngukly said:
I also wish Clinton the best. I do suspect he may be still be juggling the trade offs of playing weight. When he was released last year, it is my understanding he was at or just under 300 pounds. When he returned and broke out, he was a more agile 275 pounds. So ..... for continued success, I would think Clinton and Tampa Bay will need to define his role at his most competitive playing weight.
Lovie Smith likes his 3 techs on the smaller side. I don't think Tampa will do anything to make Clinton get weight back.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3nhqbb2k said:
Jville":3nhqbb2k said:
Lovie Smith likes his 3 techs on the smaller side. I don't think Tampa will do anything to make Clinton get weight back.

The article makes the connection of Clinton as their nose tackle. But if one presumes Lovie and the author are refering rotating Clinton in on rush situations at the nose tackle position, then they will use Clinton in a manner that is similar to what he had success with in Seattle.

I would think Lovie will fit Clinton in at his best weight.