No more Red Skins

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Just like the last time this happened, it'll be tied up in appeals for years and Snyder gets to keep the patent

Jville

Reaction score
The United States Patent and Trademark Office answers to no one outside of their circle. They can throw rocks at will. They don't really need a rational .......only window dressing for public relations purposes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":3rrg7qng said:
The United States Patent and Trademark Office answers to no one outside of their circle. They can throw rocks at will. They don't really need a rational .......only window dressing for public relations purposes.
I actually think Snyder likes the attention, because when he finally changes the name....... the new name, logo, and uniform tweak will sell merchandise if they play it right.

Cartire

Reaction score
SeatownJay":32ry34ug said:
Just like the last time this happened, it'll be tied up in appeals for years and Snyder gets to keep the patent

Hardly the same. Last time didnt have nearly the backing and support this time does.

On top of that, the patent is gone. He can appeal, but he doesnt have the patent during the appeals. ITs gone. Anyone anywhere can start pushing out skins gear with only the naked threat of lawsuit. And with the state of the country right now, it a suit that snyder knows he wont win.

Theyll appeal. It will take years, and nothing will change. Then, when they are ready to make bank, like sports hernia states, theyll change the name and get to resell jerseys and gear to the same people who just bought some.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":37cm87ri said:
Jville":37cm87ri said:
I actually think Snyder likes the attention, because when he finally changes the name....... the new name, logo, and uniform tweak will sell merchandise if they play it right.

And this does give him an easy way to make that change.

"Sorry everyone, but the evil Feds and the NFL made me do it! With a heavy heart I ask you to please support the team by replacing every item of Skin merchandise with out new updated logo/name..."

A

Anonymous

They'll still be known as the Redskins. They aren't being told to change, only merchandising trademarks have been revoked.

Now Joe Shmo from X-tribe can make up an assload of 'Skins t-shirts and sell them outside the stadium and the team and/or the NFL can't stop him.

It is the equivalent of a Patent running out on a product design. Now the team cannot be the only one to profit off of the name the Native Americans can legally profit off the name too.

youngchew

Reaction score
The unimformed are making a big deal of this.

This has very little impact on the team at all.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3dv30uwo said:
They'll still be known as the Redskins. They aren't being told to change, only merchandising trademarks have been revoked.

Now Joe Shmo from X-tribe can make up an assload of 'Skins t-shirts and sell them outside the stadium and the team and/or the NFL can't stop him.

It is the equivalent of a Patent running out on a product design. Now the team cannot be the only one to profit off of the name the Native Americans can legally profit off the name too.

Joe Shmo already does that........ look at all the people selling stuff with a Seahawks logo and or theme.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Cartire":2sdlr9m8 said:
SeatownJay":2sdlr9m8 said:

Hardly the same. Last time didnt have nearly the backing and support this time does.

On top of that, the patent is gone. He can appeal, but he doesnt have the patent during the appeals. ITs gone. Anyone anywhere can start pushing out skins gear with only the naked threat of lawsuit. And with the state of the country right now, it a suit that snyder knows he wont win.

Theyll appeal. It will take years, and nothing will change. Then, when they are ready to make bank, like sports hernia states, theyll change the name and get to resell jerseys and gear to the same people who just bought some.

NBC did a piece on this tonight on the news. They stated that Washington intends to appeal, and during the appeal process they will enjoy full trademark protection as before. If they lose the appeal, then they lose protection, but as long as an appeal is in process the trademark is protected.

A

Anonymous

The interesting thing about this whole deal is the fact that the lawyers were successfully able to convince them that the "disparaging" has occurred.

My wife's only comment (a rare woman of few words) was a question; "If the Native Americans get some of the money from the name "Redskins", will they be disparaged anymore?"

Jville

Reaction score
lsheldon":2px4btok said:
Cartire":2px4btok said:
SeatownJay":2px4btok said:

NBC did a piece on this tonight on the news. They stated that Washington intends to appeal, and during the appeal process they will enjoy full trademark protection as before. If they lose the appeal, then they lose protection, but as long as an appeal is in process the trademark is protected.

In a land of continuing resolutions, sliding dockets and bottomless pockets, that could go on forever. In that world, everyone wins :229031_victory:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Why don't they just change the name to the Skins?... that's one of their nicknames anyways.

And to clarify, they didn't lose the trademark protection of their logo.

HawkWow

Reaction score
This could have been prevented had Dan just drafted more native Americans. At the least, they should trade Griffin to the Rams for Bradford.

They did once have Mark Rypien, but that was many moons ago, Kimosabe.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Isnt there an irony here that now more people can use this "disparaging" trademark? Surely the very opposite of what was intended?

Its like stopping a drug dealer selling meth by flooding the market with meth.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1pf0bppq said:
Isnt there an irony here that now more people can use this "disparaging" trademark? Surely the very opposite of what was intended?

Its like stopping a drug dealer selling meth by flooding the market with meth.

Totally agree, it's very ironic that they are trying to force the Redskins name out of the NFL... by letting anyone use the name haha.

I get what they're doing, though. Force Snyder or Goodell to act in the face of potential profit loss. If no one purchases Redskins merchandise from the NFL (because everything NFL trademarked is extremely overpriced at retail), they're going to seriously consider changing the name.

Relatively smart tactic, I would say.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
We could just make them the SkINHEADS. But to comply they would have to have hair no longer than 1 inch on gameday. :sarcasm_off:

The only one winning this one is gonna be a lawya me thinks.
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

The Radish

Reaction score
We have one remaining Redskin team here in Washington State. Funny part is its in Wellpinit and Indian Reservation and even they are fighting over which is "correct".

I'm old enough to not truly understand some of the implied insults about words. I've never thought of the term Redskins as being insulting. We call black people black and there is no problem and the Indians are a bit red in color. Just don't get it. But many of we senior citizens now a days wonder about the "word" problem now a days. What are you going to call those people from Alpha Centura when they get here? Careful, don't call them Al they might be insulted.

But you can call me white all you want and I promise I won't sue.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
The Radish":200n8b3h said:
We have one remaining Redskin team here in Washington State. Funny part is its in Wellpinit and Indian Reservation and even they are fighting over which is "correct".

I'm old enough to not truly understand some of the implied insults about words. I've never thought of the term Redskins as being insulting. We call black people black and there is no problem and the Indians are a bit red in color. Just don't get it. But many of we senior citizens now a days wonder about the "word" problem now a days. What are you going to call those people from Alpha Centura when they get here? Careful, don't call them Al they might be insulted.

But you can call me white all you want and I promise I won't sue.

Unfortunately in this PC world, if one is offended it's too much for some.

I don't agree necessarily but it is what it is. It does however seem, in these cases, that these things actually offend people NOT actually associated with the race in questioned more then those that are.

In re: to black and African American terms, it's funny when you hear people say African American when speaking of a black person not from America... Ignorance in all forms I guess.

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":rm067hzz said:
Unfortunately in this PC world, if one is offended it's too much for some.

I don't agree necessarily but it is what it is. It does however seem, in these cases, that these things actually offend people NOT actually associated with the race in questioned more then those that are.

In re: to black and African American terms, it's funny when you hear people say African American when speaking of a black person not from America... Ignorance in all forms I guess.

The same can be said of those who are complaining about the change and think it's no big deal. Do you think most of them are native American?

A lot of posters in this thread seem perfectly fine with this term. How many of you would feel comfortable calling a native American a "redskin" when addressing that person?