Classic Pocket Passers Versus Mobile Quarterbacks

Jville

Reaction score
It's a very good and interesting presentation. And yes I noted the authors allegiance.

Since we have plenty of data junkies and pretty pitcture enthusiasts, I thought this might be of interest.

And since the article covers quarterbacks from three teams, I thought this would be the appropriate forum.

And for those who come here to make war, .... grab those flame throwers and flame away ...... just please keep it here ... and out of the main forum.

Link >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2014/classic-pocket-passers-versus-mobile-quarterbacks[/urltargetblank]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":3glj0wx6 said:
It's a very good and interesting presentation. And yes I noted the authors allegiance.

But, since we have plenty of data junkies and pretty pitcture enthusiasts, I thought this might be of interest.

And since the article covers quarterbacks from three teams, I thought this would be the appropriate forum.

And for those who come here to make war, .... grab those flame throwers and flame away ...... just please keep it here ... and out of the main forum.

Link >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2014/classic-pocket-passers-versus-mobile-quarterbacks[/urltargetblank]
All I know is Seattle played a "pocket passer" in XLVIII and that guy's team lost by 35 points! :lol:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1666ea6l said:
Jville":1666ea6l said:

But, since we have plenty of data junkies and pretty pitcture enthusiasts, I thought this might be of interest.

All I know is Seattle played a "pocket passer" in XLVIII and that guy's team lost by 35 points! :lol:

LOL ...... That certainly condenses the difference.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I thought that was a really crappy article because the guy only looks at playoff games and doesn't take into account that Krapper and Wilson both faced great defenses while Peyton could just stand back there and throw.

Seriously got the feeling he went into the article trying to prove that dinosaurs like Peyton aren't washed up.

Will love to see the general consensus on mobile vs pocket after Denver plays the NFC West this season. Of course, who wants to bet that then the conversation won't be about pocket passers, it'll be about Peytons age and how he's declined and should he or shouldn't he retire?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3eh0s55h said:
I thought that was a really crappy article because the guy only looks at playoff games and doesn't take into account that Krapper and Wilson both faced great defenses while Peyton could just stand back there and throw.

Seriously got the feeling he went into the article trying to prove that dinosaurs like Peyton aren't washed up.

Will love to see the general consensus on mobile vs pocket after Denver plays the NFC West this season. Of course, who wants to bet that then the conversation won't be about pocket passers, it'll be about Peytons age and how he's declined and should he or shouldn't he retire?
yep, not sure if 5head survives the NFCW defenses.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":330fz0ds said:
Jville":330fz0ds said:

Well I guess you win the thread?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
After the Digits and the Hawks beat the Donks into another dimension they will be looking for a mobile QB in the 2015 draft.

The Cards and Rams might give them a little love too.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting. I found the scope of the article far to limited and incomplete to lead to any conclusions about pocket versus mobile quarterbacks.

For example: The author addresses "Out-of-Pocket Pass Attempts 2013 Playoffs" and breaks it out as to complete and incomplete. The author infers that reflects well on a pocket passer. However, the article neglects to provide balance and completeness via a presentation of In-Pocket-Pass Attempts 2013 Playoffs broken out as to complete and incomplete.

Then there is the presentation of sack locations and the omission of hurry, deflection, and interception locations. For a team that is all about the ball, those later events are often more important than sacks. And the author identifies other considerations omitted in his article.

The author's purpose was not to reach a conclusion on pocket versus mobile quarterbacks. The author's purpose was to present examples of "designed visualizations based on collected spatial data". He goes on to elaborate on the possibilities of expanding the scope of his treatment with larger data sets.

That's it. A presentation on "designed visualizations based on collected spatial data". I thought it an interesting exercise. But the bottom line is ..... is it useful? ..... does it convey meaning to fans?

rideaducati

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":28cvk65v said:
After the Digits and the Hawks beat the Donks into another dimension they will be looking for a mobile QB in the 2015 draft.

The niners won't beat the donkos. Their secondary doesn't match up well. Peyton will tear them apart.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
rideaducati":2gj0dqxy said:
The niners won't beat the donkos. Their secondary doesn't match up well. Peyton will tear them apart.

Part of what killed the Donkos was the QB pressure. SF can provide that aspect of defense. There is a dropoff in the secondary with SF, but Pey-Pey just doesn't like moving around. I do think Denver can do more on SF, especially if Bowman isn't there to make the sure tackle. It won't be enough. Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy seeing Denver take out SF, but I just can't see it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":x528jifu said:
rideaducati":x528jifu said:

Part of what killed the Donkos was the QB pressure. SF can provide that aspect of defense. There is a dropoff in the secondary with SF, but Pey-Pey just doesn't like moving around. I do think Denver can do more on SF, especially if Bowman isn't there to make the sure tackle. It won't be enough. Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy seeing Denver take out SF, but I just can't see it.

I think Bowman really is the key. The Broncos led the league in YAC last year and that is what we took away and we did it with pressure which Santa Clara and provide and stopping the play dead at the point of the catch. Without Bowman they may struggle to accomplish the latter.

I think this game could be a very good match up between these two but the big question on the other side is can Denver's defense shut down the Niners running game and contain Kaepernick? If they can then they will likely leave with a win. I just don't know if Denver can do that or how well they will match up physically.

Giedi

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3ixmfwix said:

Spot on Loafo! I totally agree! :th2thumbs: