Philly Eagles fans worst home crowd in North American sports

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I know, you all think this is probably an article about how inclined towards violence they are, but nope. Rofl. An Eagles fan linked this to me, I can't help but laugh:

Bleeding Green Nation":22cbmpqr said:
The Eagles are the worst home team in North America themselves, as they are the only team who actually owns a better overall road record than home, in any sport.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014 ... worst-fans

Frankly, it's kind of a dubious connection, but hey; why not make fun of another team when the opportunity presents itself? :lol:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think the Hawks have throttled the Eagles in Philly at least 3 times.

I went to a game in 1998, at the Vet with another Hawks fan that moved there. It was brutal. We went in a group of 6 and we never separated. Especially when going to the can.

At 31-0 we got the hell out of there because they were pissed. It was like any sign of serious celebration became a trigger.

They arrested people there even before the game started and they had THEIR OWN HOLDING CELLS and could legally process dudes. One Hawks fan got totally beaned by a water bottle and when he went after the guy who threw it the cops only took the Hawks fan.

I have fully enjoyed not going back although I know they have a different stadium. But I seem to remember an ass kicking there in 2005 and a 2007 game that the Hawks pulled off in Philly.

RedAlice

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1l4b66xt said:
I think the Hawks have throttled the Eagles in Philly at least 3 times.

I went to a game in 1998, at the Vet with another Hawks fan that moved there. It was brutal. We went in a group of 6 and we never separated. Especially when going to the can.

At 31-0 we got the hell out of there because they were pissed. It was like any sign of serious celebration became a trigger.

They arrested people there even before the game started and they had THEIR OWN HOLDING CELLS and could legally process dudes. One Hawks fan got totally beaned by a water bottle and when he went after the guy who threw it the cops only took the Hawks fan.

I have fully enjoyed not going back although I know they have a different stadium. But I seem to remember an ass kicking there in 2005 and a 2007 game that the Hawks pulled off in Philly.

They may have a different stadium, but they are very proud of the fact that they have their own jail underneath it. When I went to the game there last year, this was announced as a good thing by the fans on the train to get there. They were like, we have our own jail beneath the stadium.

I found them to be pretty good fans overall - great tailgaiting, great team spirit, good fans at yelling and singing that Eagles fly song even when it was snowing on them and freezing. Overall, they are the best hometown fans I've seen - though my sample is still limited to Chargers and Rams right now. :D

I should clarify: I was at the Eagles / Lions snow game in December. Not a Rams game there. So, I have no opinion on being an opposing fan there.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Their new stadium (Lincoln Financial Field, opened 2003) has never had a jail in it. Funny how some Philly fans like to brag that their old one did, and some are ashamed of it. I'd be ashamed of it considering the overall fan base reputation, personally; but that's just me.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Well, many fans don't know this then. As the group by us on the train loved saying that they have a jail underneath their stadium - it was like, you are from San Diego, bet you don't have this kind of thing. I thought it was an odd thing to be proud of, but hey, I found a lot of things odd in Philly.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, most fans don't follow much. A Philly friend of mine quickly corrected me a couple years ago when I made fun of him for needing a jail, and sure enough, the Wikipedia page confirms what he told me.

What else did you find odd in Philly? (I'm always on the lookout to troll my Philly friend with things.)

RedAlice

Reaction score
I loved their fans at the game, so I probably have zero for you to troll with. Great tailgaiting.

I learned to play some game where you throw a knife into a tree stump around some nails - everyone is kinda drunk and frozen so is hilarious. Plus, all you need is a knife, some nails and a tree stump. Well, and I guess a lot of drinks. Btw - I suck at this game.

They sing the fly eagles fly song a lot.

As to Philly itself, everyone yells. A lot. The whole place is constantly about to yell at someone. Or, they are all yelling at the same time at someone else and it all just blends into a lot of yelling. I enjoyed the city very much - but there was a lot of loud yelling everywhere.

CHawk

Reaction score
Roladand ask him why they wear or would even buy that foam cheese steak hat, I live an 1 1/2 hours north of Philly, love cheese steaks but I would never wear that. Maybe just as bad as the gold nugget.

On a side note I was at a Eagles vs Ravens preseason game (only because my daughter was in the half time show). Ravens fans that sat by me had no class cursing and throwing stuff., they were thrown out before half.

Best Eagles fan moment - Ray Rhodes last year as coach of the Eagles, Hawks played them the first game of the season for a total beat down. I'm in line getting a beer only comment was "At least you have the right shirt on."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Radish":1cw78pm1 said:
What do you expect from a fan base that booed Santa Claus?

:roll:
Yep, you boo Santa Claus then there is something wrong! 8)

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CHawk":2gyghm0h said:
Roland ask him why they wear or would even buy that foam cheese steak hat, I live an 1 1/2 hours north of Philly, love cheese steaks but I would never wear that. Maybe just as bad as the gold nugget.
I asked. He answered.

RolandDeschain":2gyghm0h said:
Random question. Why in the hell would any Philly fans wear those stupid foam cheese steak hats?
Philly Friend":2gyghm0h said:
Dunno, rofl. Haven't seen 'em much, thank God. I'm gonna buy you a coffee bean foam hat.