CB Brandon Flowers choses Chargers over 49ers ... smart move

Jville

Reaction score
Smart move choosing to play in the AFC West rather than the highly competitive NFC West.

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/brandon-flowers-agrees-to-one-year-contract-with-chargers/[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/report-brandon-flowers-met-with-49ers-on-friday/[/urltargetblank]

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Throwdown":xwsgiep7 said:
Love the "traitor" comments, like the Chiefs didn't cut him

Further proof that people love to comment even when they have no idea what they are talking about.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Throwdown":3h3jyy7z said:
Love the "traitor" comments, like the Chiefs didn't cut him

Nice .... comic relief! :th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
After seeing the contract the ninnies gave their prized QB, I doubt we see the ninnies sign many good free agents.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is weird.

If he was signing a one year deal with a team in order to get a big contract, it seems to me that it would be wiser to join a better team so that he can take advantage of the natural bias people get where they think players are better than they are because they are on a more visible/winning team.

Also, considering the strength of the 49ers line that really helps the secondary. Not sure you can rely on San Diego to bring the same quality of a front seven to push the opposing QB into mistakes.

As for whether a competitive NFC West would be a reason to run to another division? Not sure that makes sense considering the QBs are not the primary weapon of most the teams in the NFC West like they are in other divisions, and the NFC West is generally strong because of the stellar defenses.

Maybe NFL GMs are smarter than that (but we know this is not true), coming off a strong team after a good run the playoffs seems like it would get you more visibility. It seems this is what you would want going into free agency. Not saying the Chargers are bad, but they won't be in the spotlight like the 49ers and if the 49ers secondary improves Flowers would be in a good position to take credit for a lot of that.

Weird choice. I wouldn't want him on the 49ers but I cannot see why HE would not have wanted to join them. Was it all his choice?

Sherminator

Reaction score
The reason he didn't sign with the 49ers is because the 49ers never offered him anything.
We don't want him lol, doesn't fit our defense at all

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sherminator":2n8x8yu3 said:
The reason he didn't sign with the 49ers is because the 49ers never offered him anything.
We don't want him lol, doesn't fit our defense at all

Just curious, how do you know they never offered him anything? And why did they take the time to host him on a visit last Friday if they never planned to offer a contract?

"Fox Sports 1's Mike Garafolo is reporting the 49ers hosted Flowers this past Friday, but Flowers instead signed with the San Diego Chargers. The team has an open roster spot following Eric Wright's retirement last week. Jim Harbaugh has said the team will fill the roster spot in a "timely fashion"."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/24/5 ... n-chargers

Mike Garafolo
‏@MikeGarafolo
Before signing with the Chargers, Brandon Flowers visited the 49ers on Friday. SF obviously looking for more help at CB where they can.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't know that if I was Flowers that I would choose SD over SF. Everyone knows the Niners need immediate help there, so it makes total sense to bring him in. Pretty solid player and I figured a great match for SF. A lot of questions remain in the SF back end.

Maybe Flowers liked the idea of having a rapport with the AFCW receivers. He would be playing against many of the same guys.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":33ye2oz9 said:
I don't know that if I was Flowers that I would choose SD over SF. Everyone knows the Niners need immediate help there, so it makes total sense to bring him in. Pretty solid player and I figured a great match for SF. A lot of questions remain in the SF back end.

Maybe Flowers liked the idea of having a rapport with the AFCW receivers. He would be playing against many of the same guys.
Maybe he doesn't want to play for a coach that's a total d-bag???? 8)

TAB420

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":jp008z34 said:
loafoftatupu":jp008z34 said:

Maybe he doesn't want to play for a coach that's a total d-bag???? 8)

Ding Ding Ding......We have a winner.