Which NFL player would make the most on the open market?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I just saw this on another message board I frequent any of you guys see this today on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...worth-the-highest-salary?campaign=Twitter_atl

Andrew Luck...ANDREW #%#ING luck?

Are you serious????

Thanks for the morning joke nfl.com, it is very appreciated. Andrew Luck LMAO....what a joke.

OH YA...Im sure every Franchise wants to spend the most money on a guy who has 6TD to 8Int in the postseason with a 70 QB rating. Or whose regular season is a GODLY 81.5, JESUS.

I suppose Wilson and his meager 100+ regular season AND playoff QB rating just cant hold up though. And despite Luck throwing close to 400 more times he has less TDs. Dont be fooled Wilson is the better QB of the two.

How is Luck NOT the most overrated QB or even just player in the ENTIRE league. 23 TDs is the most he has thrown in a season and he has a season in which he threw 18 ints.....

11514 animated gifchat8etf

drdiags

Reaction score
It is an opinion that can be debated, thus allowing the NFL.com writers a chance to help generate discussion. If they had a poll of the 32 teams, then that would be closer to reality but that isn't going to happen. For all the major sportswriters and analyst of the NFL, Luck is the model of what they want as their dream player.

This topic has gone several rounds here but the national consensus has not changed among fans, NFL analysts and some insiders commenting off-the-record. Until Wilson is putting up 5000+ yds/season, folks are going to downgrade his accomplishments. And that isn't going to happen until Pete leaves. I am sure Wilson can do it (see ATL playoff game) but Pete just doesn't like that style.

And when Pete leaves, the next guy may not like Wilson's traits due to the new guy's background.

Sherminator

Reaction score
I think right now the most expensive FA would have to be Russel Wilson
Fresh off a SB win and his position means big payday

I agree though, Luck wouldn't even be in my top 3

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Star Trek Next Gen episode when the bitch with the weird nose and the Giordi dude kept phasing in and out, even though people just assumed they were dead? It was like they were talking, but whatever they said didn't really matter because they were dead to everyone else. Then at random times, they would re-appear without explanation in a desperate attempt to maintain their phased existence.

phase.jpg

I am getting the feeling that it is happening in this thread, right now.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is a fair response. I heard this talked about on the most recent ATL podcast. The idea being of course is if every player in the league was suddenly a Free Agent, which player would make the most money in a new contract.

QB's consistently are the highest paid position, so it's fair narrow it down to a QB. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are older so you can argue yourself away from giving them the top dollar.

Aaron Rodgers is probably your safest answer. Younger than Brady/Manning/Brees with the production to put him ahead of the younger QBs. Young enough to play out whatever contract you give him.

Andrew Luck is still prototypical for what many teams desire in a QB and more teams would be willing to give him a higher value contract if they were suddenly able to choose between him, Wilson, Newton, Kaep, and RGIII equally.

If you're excluding QB's i think you're probably going to say JJ Watt. Honorable mention to Calvin Johnson.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Basis4day":35le60zi said:
Aaron Rodgers is probably your safest answer. Younger than Brady/Manning/Brees with the production to put him ahead of the younger QBs. Young enough to play out whatever contract you give him.

Forgot about him, I think he would be the highest paid FA in the market today

Going by position would make this a fun thread

QB- Aaron Rogers, clearly
HB- Adrian Peterson, I know he turns 30 soon but c'mon, he is AP
WR- Megatron, nobody is touching his producton and he doesn't show any signs of slowing
TE- Jimmy Graham
OL- Evan Mathis, Mike Iupati
DL- JJ Watt has to be up there, I would say Aldon but his off the field BS ruins that chance
Secondary- Sherman, Haden, not ready to give this crown back to Revis yet
I also think Earl Thomas would demand a huge salary if he hit FA, he deserves it

ctrcat

Reaction score
Yet among his peers, fellow players, Luck is behind Wilson and Newton among young QBs and 30 overall.

Sherminator

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":hcyza03q said:
It is still happening! It is really weird, like the dead are trying to communicate.

I hope you realize your jokes just collapsed on themselves.

Anyways, quit trolling loaf, i'm trying to talk football!
:thirishdrinkers:

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sherminator":34vkftb7 said:
Basis4day":34vkftb7 said:

WR- Megatron, nobody is touching his producton and he doesn't show any signs of slowing
TE- Jimmy Graham
DL- JJ Watt has to be up there, I would say Aldon but his off the field BS ruins that chance
I also think Earl Thomas would demand a huge salary if he hit FA, he deserves it

You think two guards would be the highest paid O-Lineman?

Sherminator

Reaction score
Basis4day":1n3q5iqq said:
Sherminator":1n3q5iqq said:
Basis4day":1n3q5iqq said:

TE- Jimmy Graham

You think two guards would be the highest paid O-Lineman?

Ah I butchered that, I meant to split it between tackle and guard and forgot about the first lol
I think they would be the top paid G
I think Joe Thomas would be the top overall paid offensive lineman

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I didnt post in in the OP but I think it would HAVE to be Rodgers if it was any player...he is the ONLY QB in NFL history to have over a 100+ qb rating for his career for a sustained ammount of time and when he has been injured you see just how bad the packers actual are. He has only 1 year out of 6 starting where he wasnt over 100 qb rating and that was his first year as a starter where he posted a 93.8 rating. It took Brady 8 years to be over 100 and Manning 7

To just throw Luck out there as a consensus answer is just disrespectful to alot of other players. If judged solely by play on the field Luck BARELY scratches the top 15 in qb stats. His career QB rating is barely above 80, that is TERRIBLE. For his Career he is only +4.5 QB rating ahead of Christian Ponder...CHRISTIAN PONDER!!!!!!! Granted he had a better year his 2nd year but the point still stands. Neither Luck or Newton have even had a year with over 90 QB rating. Wilson, RG3, and Kaep all have and Wilson and Kaep have played in the superbowl.

In fact many on here dont want to admit it but apart from playing against us, Kaepernick has actually been pretty damn good. I looked it up earlier in the year but I think it was something like out of his 16 ints for his career(regular+ postseason) 7 of those have come against the Seahawks. Apart from playing us he has 35TD/9int.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":jrrv0w0f said:
loafoftatupu":jrrv0w0f said:
It is still happening! It is really weird, like the dead are trying to communicate.

Sherminator":jrrv0w0f said:

Phasing.. on Seahawks.net. Incredible.
I totally wanted to tap the chick with the weird nose.

Just sayin...
Slut

(and I mean it as a compliment :mrgreen: )

Exittium

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1xfek6qq said:
I didnt post in in the OP but I think it would HAVE to be Rodgers if it was any player...he is the ONLY QB in NFL history to have over a 100+ qb rating for his career for a sustained ammount of time and when he has been injured you see just how bad the packers actual are. He has only 1 year out of 6 starting where he wasnt over 100 qb rating and that was his first year as a starter where he posted a 93.8 rating. It took Brady 8 years to be over 100 and Manning 7

To just throw Luck out there as a consensus answer is just disrespectful to alot of other players. If judged solely by play on the field Luck BARELY scratches the top 15 in qb stats. His career QB rating is barely above 80, that is TERRIBLE. Granted he had a better year his 2nd year but the point still stands. Neither Luck or Newton have even had a year with over 90 QB rating. Wilson, RG3, and Kaep all have and Wilson and Kaep have played in the superbowl.

Correction: Wilson WON a SB.. luck hasn't done crap. He's won 1 playoff to Wilson's 3. Lucks total of 22wins 10 loses to Wilson's 24 Wins and 8 Loses, Then theres Lucks TD's and TD % and Interceptions 46/3.8/27 to Wilson's 52/6.5/19 . IMO Luck is average at the most. Oh yeah and Luck's Laughable, 57% Completion percentage to Wilson's 63.6% .. not bad with a ragtag Oline.

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Exittium":2tq326v4 said:
WilsonMVP":2tq326v4 said:

To just throw Luck out there as a consensus answer is just disrespectful to alot of other players. If judged solely by play on the field Luck BARELY scratches the top 15 in qb stats. His career QB rating is barely above 80, that is TERRIBLE. Granted he had a better year his 2nd year but the point still stands. Neither Luck or Newton have even had a year with over 90 QB rating. Wilson, RG3, and Kaep all have and Wilson and Kaep have played in the superbowl.

Correction: Wilson WON a SB.. luck hasn't done crap. He's won 1 playoff to Wilson's 3. Lucks total of 22wins 10 loses to Wilson's 24 Wins and 8 Loses, Then theres Lucks TD's and TD % and Interceptions 46/3.8/27 to Wilson's 52/6.5/19 . IMO Luck is average at the most. Oh yeah and Luck's Laughable, 57% Completion percentage to Wilson's 63.6% .. not bad with a ragtag Oline.

Agree...Wilson has actually won 4 playoff games btw...@Washington, Saints, 49ers, Broncos. And I wont hold the ATL loss against him considering he won the game with 30 seconds left. The thing that stands out most for me is that Wilson has more TDs in 800 or so attempts than Luck does in 1200 or so. Luck basically has a whole season on Wilson in terms of how many throws Wilson makes in a year yet still doesnt have as many TDs.