Arizona Rising In NFC West

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=111993 ... api_public

Cardinals DE Calais Campbell discusses why his team can be the best in the NFC West and why CB Patrick Peterson is better than Richard Sherman. This is an interesting interview/conversation but the best part starts on the 2:36 mark, I don't know who this dude is but he needs stop using CRACK!! "NFC Central?" really!?? ESPN needs to start screening these people for substance abuse lmao!!

OP
OP
GLOCKHAWK

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
And to answer the question Mr. Campbell of Richard Sherman v.s. Patrick Peterson please watch this sir.
[youtube]1tyaJpDoEms[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
Campbell is a stud, and he's just sticking up for his team and teammates. It's one thing for Brandon Flowers to say he's the best corner in the league, it's another thing for Calais Campbell to say his teammate Peterson is. Nothing to see here.

Moving on to the title of the OP, the idea of Arizona winning the NFC West makes me chuckle. They were very nearly 0-4 against SF and Seattle last season, and in two of their losses they got creamed. The best and most pivotal players on their team are ALL over 30, save Campbell. Maybe you could put Ellington in there too, but I think he's a very good 3rd down back rather than Jamaal Charles lite.

You don't often see a good team with old players surpassing a great team with young players. Nevermind surpassing two of them.

The heart and soul of the Cards defense were linebackers Dansby and Washington. Neither will play a snap for Arizona in 2014.

No doubt, last year's Arizona team was playoff caliber, they ranked 10th in DVOA and their 10-6 record was actually slightly unlucky (FO had them down for 10.4 estimated wins). BUT, you look at how that team racked up those stats and it was all with defense. Their offense and specials teams both scored in the negatives. And their defense is going to suffer a blow due to the loss of their key LBs.

They have an awesome coaching staff and a solid GM. I think they will be competitive in the long haul once the new regime hits on some young talents. They will make some playoff berths once the NFL expands to a 14 team playoffs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":24ht2y7d said:
Campbell is a stud, and he's just sticking up for his team and teammates. It's one thing for Brandon Flowers to say he's the best corner in the league, it's another thing for Calais Campbell to say his teammate Peterson is. Nothing to see here.

Moving on to the title of the OP, the idea of Arizona winning the NFC West makes me chuckle. They were very nearly 0-4 against SF and Seattle last season, and in two of their losses they got creamed. The best and most pivotal players on their team are ALL over 30, save Campbell. Maybe you could put Ellington in there too, but I think he's a very good 3rd down back rather than Jamaal Charles lite.

You don't often see a good team with old players surpassing a great team with young players. Nevermind surpassing two of them.

The heart and soul of the Cards defense were linebackers Dansby and Washington. Neither will play a snap for Arizona in 2014.

No doubt, last year's Arizona team was playoff caliber, they ranked 10th in DVOA and their 10-6 record was actually slightly unlucky (FO had them down for 10.4 estimated wins). BUT, you look at how that team racked up those stats and it was all with defense. Their offense and specials teams both scored in the negatives. And their defense is going to suffer a blow due to the loss of their key LBs.

They have an awesome coaching staff and a solid GM. I think they will be competitive in the long haul once the new regime hits on some young talents. They will make some playoff berths once the NFL expands to a 14 team playoffs.

Agreed.

Personally, I think Peterson is one of the most overrated CBs in the league.

Speaking just from watching Crabtree...Crab OWNS Peterson. Not even a challenge.

Sherman has thus far dominated Crab.

Maybe it's just a style thing, but whenever I watch Niner Cards games, Peterson is invisible.

OP
OP
GLOCKHAWK

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
I think the original OP intent was lost. This was mostly about the fact that ESPN has some serious issues lmao! The second post showed how Peterson was "exposed"...nothing more. I also agree that Calais Campbell is a stud.

OrFan

Reaction score
The turds have always been "almost" there. They are a team that can cause problems year in and year out.

Like ESPN they have enough serious flaws to keep them from ever being a serious contender for the top spot, though.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":2x2gpnpg said:
Agreed.

Personally, I think Peterson is one of the most overrated CBs in the league.

Speaking just from watching Crabtree...Crab OWNS Peterson. Not even a challenge.

Sherman has thus far dominated Crab.

Maybe it's just a style thing, but whenever I watch Niner Cards games, Peterson is invisible.

Yeah, it is something about the Matchup and how the Cards secondary plays as a team, but Crabtree just abuses PP like a blow-up doll. He beats PP with his size and also with moves where KaeperSpaz can lead him.

I think that the Sherman thing with Crabtree is more about the pass he is getting from KaeperSpaz. Sherman is always with him, but the right pass can be caught regardless of the coverage. Crabs caught one in 2012 in Seattle that had the trajectory to do it. Crabs can't really use his height on Sherman, but he can certainly bring in a backside pass if thrown properly.

Ehh.. the Cards have some work to do, sure.. they beat the Hawks in the Clink, but that was just a really weird game. I wouldn't count on a Cards team missing both Dansby and Washington having that same outcome. That impact cannot be understated because it will affect their strength and will likely show in other games that aren't SF/SEA.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":2h3rfxbz said:
The best and most pivotal players on their team are ALL over 30, save Campbell. Maybe you could put Ellington in there too, but I think he's a very good 3rd down back rather than Jamaal Charles lite.

No love for Michael Floyd? High yards per reception (tenth among eligible WRs). PFF graded him as catching all nine of his deep ball targets (20 yards or more).

I think the dude is a very good player that is quickly headed toward elite...which is good for Arizona since Larry Fitzgerald is on the downside of his career.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":kjd2ontm said:
Aye. Not in that "good" invisible way when a QB just avoids throwing toward a great CB so nothing ever happens, either. Peterson's just riding Sherman's coattails, and as usual, there's a lot of donkey-nodding by people that don't know anything. Not that I have a problem with someone trying to ride an elite player's coattails, but that player better back it up and be the real deal. Peterson is not elite. Just like Kaepernick, he's "got all the tools", but that's irrelevant until you're utilizing them fully.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
BOLOGNA!!! I think the Cards are will finish last in the division this year. No Washington/Dansby= fall from grace.

suppaball

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":12fw903j said:
BOLOGNA!!! I think the Cards are will finish last in the division this year. No Washington/Dansby= fall from grace.
This right here.

kearly

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3f28su4j said:
kearly":3f28su4j said:
The best and most pivotal players on their team are ALL over 30, save Campbell. Maybe you could put Ellington in there too, but I think he's a very good 3rd down back rather than Jamaal Charles lite.

No love for Michael Floyd? High yards per reception (tenth among eligible WRs). PFF graded him as catching all nine of his deep ball targets (20 yards or more).

I think the dude is a very good player that is quickly headed toward elite...which is good for Arizona since Larry Fitzgerald is on the downside of his career.

Floyd? Meh. He's good between the twenties, but inside the twenties not so much. He has 7 TDs in 32 games. Would you say Brian Hartline is a pivotal player? Because their stat lines and are almost identical. Floyd's high YPC is a product of Arian's long established tendency to utilize a vertical passing offense.

Don't get me wrong, he's talented enough. Maybe he grows into a better player. But I'm talking about proven stars, not "maybe" stars.

endzorn

Reaction score
I hope Peterson's contract is the largest for a CB in NFL history by a wide, wide margin. Handcuff that team with an undeserved contract.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kearly":1jru4gcv said:
Smelly McUgly":1jru4gcv said:
kearly":1jru4gcv said:

Floyd? Meh. He's good between the twenties, but inside the twenties not so much. He has 7 TDs in 32 games. Would you say Brian Hartline is a pivotal player? Because their stat lines and are almost identical. Floyd's high YPC is a product of Arian's long established tendency to utilize a vertical passing offense.

Don't get me wrong, he's talented enough. Maybe he grows into a better player. But I'm talking about proven stars, not "maybe" stars.

Fair enough, but I would certainly not compare Floyd to Hartline since Floyd is coming up on his third year, which is typically a break-out year for WRs, and Hartline is going into his sixth year.

ringless

Reaction score
I really think we are going to be a slightly better team than last year. I still however expect to finish third in the division with 9-10 wins. Our offense should be improved, especially along the o-line, and I would even go as far to say our passing game will be better not just because of the line, but because Floyd is improving and that should help free up Fitzgerald who I don't expect much of or if any drop off from this year. While we lost two players that played at insane levels on our defense I do expect that to cost us a game or two, and any playoff games we might play or had a chance to play in if they stayed with us. In any other division we would hands down make the playoffs this year.

I would have to say there is no team I respect as much as the Seahawks. I'm more entertained by defense than offense and you guys have a defense to be proud of locked up for years to come

chris98251

Reaction score
ringless":pwtuno1w said:
I really think we are going to be a slightly better team than last year. I still however expect to finish third in the division with 9-10 wins. Our offense should be improved, especially along the o-line, and I would even go as far to say our passing game will be better not just because of the line, but because Floyd is improving and that should help free up Fitzgerald who I don't expect much of or if any drop off from this year. While we lost two players that played at insane levels on our defense I do expect that to cost us a game or two, and any playoff games we might play or had a chance to play in if they stayed with us. In any other division we would hands down make the playoffs this year.

I would have to say there is no team I respect as much as the Seahawks. I'm more entertained by defense than offense and you guys have a defense to be proud of locked up for years to come

You see us stepping backwards because of one receiver and the loss of two ageing vets, everything we lost we replaced with equal or better in my opinion, we have got high pressure experience under our belt as well.

As far as a tandem of receivers go, I think the Broncos had the best or arguably the best corp in the league as a team, this is backed up by the productivity they had, also Manning and Palmer, which QB would you rather have running the offense?

ringless

Reaction score
chris98251":3cl7p12a said:
ringless":3cl7p12a said:

You see us stepping backwards because of one receiver and the loss of two ageing vets, everything we lost we replaced with equal or better in my opinion, we have got high pressure experience under our belt as well.

As far as a tandem of receivers go, I think the Broncos had the best or arguably the best corp in the league as a team, this is backed up by the productivity they had, also Manning and Palmer, which QB would you rather have running the offense?

I don't see the Seahawks stepping back at all. I expect An overall stronger cardinal team that still finishes third in the division. Of course I would rather have Manning. With Manning we most likely win it all last year with our defense, and most defintely would secure a spot this year with manning. Palmer scares me anytime he drops back because his throws are unpredicatble

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Holy cow, a Cardinals fan! Welcome to the forum, and please, be active. No, seriously; we need a Cards fan around here to not only join in on our hatred of all things Whiner-related but because there's nobody to discuss Cardinals stuff with.

Don't be a stranger...And don't pull anymore BS miracle wins off over a team that intercepted your QB four times but still managed to lose. :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think the loss of Washington and Dansby hurts the Cards as much vs Seattle as it does vs other teams, especially if their replacements are decent at stopping the run. Our offense studiously avoids passing to the middle short area they patrol anyway, and I don't think it takes a lot of special talent to for a linebacker to run up the a and b gaps like the Cards do when they blitz Wilson repeatedly.

The Rams, on the other hand, run crossers like it's going out of style. So do the Broncos. The Niners will use Vernon across that middle area a lot vs the Cards. So right there I see 5 games where the loss of Dansby and Washington really hurts the Cards. Buchanan can make up for some of that by being an enforcer in the middle, but he can't carry that much, and besides, rookie.