Rob Ryan 'ready to get weird' with Saints defense

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The new idea hinges on lining up the best 11 players, with size and position decreasing in importance.

As is often the case, necessity was the mother of invention. When the Saints suffered a slew of injuries at linebacker last season, Ryan was forced to deploy three or even four safeties at a time.

Adding more safeties in various packages also accomplishes the same goal as the 1-5-5 "Radar" defense that has been used on passing downs to confuse offenses now proficient at calling out protection schemes before the snap.

"The three-safety package comes in a lot more than it's ever done in football," Ryan explained. "We have five really talented safeties on the roster and we plan on playing them all because they are really good players."

In his 2010 book Take Your Eye Off the Ball, former Jets executive and current SiriusXM NFL Radio host Pat Kirwan predicted we would begin seeing "situational" safeties to counter the increasing number of personnel groups used on offense depending on down-and-distance situations.

Ryan has the personnel to pull off that specialization at safety, featuring more defenders capable of running with tight ends, running backs and slot receivers in coverage.

As a rookie, Kenny Vaccaro was essentially a linebacker-cornerback hybrid, joining Troy Polamalu as the only safeties to play more than 70 percent of snaps within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage, according to Pro Football Focus.

Ballhawking free-agent acquisition Jairus Byrd trails only Earl Thomas in discussion of the NFL's premier free safeties. The Saints acknowledged the importance of hard-hitting Rafael Bush, matching the Falcons' offer for the restricted free agent. Fifth-round pick Vinnie Sunseri and undrafted rookie Pierre Warren have also impressed in camp.

It's easy for Saints fans to identify with the excitement of NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who told Clark that Ryan's plan is "the most fascinating" scheme of the 2014 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _wesseling

Throwdown

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vlj7if3z said:
Who cares? Rob Ryan is played out, IMO. His defenses have become silly and overrated. Just look at what our offense did to them last season.

Well to be fair, thats because our QB is the best in the league.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think it is going to make the Saints into a very difficult week to week adjustment. For teams using a hurry up to confuse a D, shuttling tight ends and receivers on and off the field should prove difficult. And with most of the league not committed to the run, taking advantage of those safeties by running will prove difficult for most teams.

Plus, we know that Ryan has his team committed to taking receivers out of games with shall we say very targeted physical play, and this favors that philosophy.

MB12

Reaction score
If they win it all he will be heralded a genius, and lots of teams will try and copy it.

Sadly for him we stand in the way

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There is nothing more entertaining than seeing Ryan get all the focus from coverage during a game. The MNF game in the Clink was epic. Watching it on DVR when I got home, I could only laugh. The comment about the Master, oops... another first down for the Hawks. Gruden: "Rob Ryan knows how to dial up a blitz" ooops... a big completion to Baldwin. Then to see the look on his face as he is leaned over, waiting for his vaulted system to take effect, only to fail miserably as he brushes his locks out of the way is nothing short of priceless.

wizard1183

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":22x7i4a0 said:
Throwdown":22x7i4a0 said:
peachesenregalia":22x7i4a0 said:
Who cares? Rob Ryan is played out, IMO. His defenses have become silly and overrated. Just look at what our offense did to them last season.

Damn right. Still tho, that fat hairy bastard can throw whatever he wants at us, Russ 'n Percy will still toast their ass.
Wrong, you mean used to? You won your 1st SB in history and you think you're going to repeat this yr? You don't get passed div rd in playoffs. And even that will take luck. Seahawks take a backseat this yr. Eli and Payton will stomp you in the link this coming season. Bank on it.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
wizard1183":qc9hh9d7 said:
peachesenregalia":qc9hh9d7 said:
Throwdown":qc9hh9d7 said:
peachesenregalia":qc9hh9d7 said:

Damn right. Still tho, that fat hairy bastard can throw whatever he wants at us, Russ 'n Percy will still toast their ass.
Wrong, you mean used to? You won your 1st SB in history and you think you're going to repeat this yr? You don't get passed div rd in playoffs. And even that will take luck. Seahawks take a backseat this yr. Eli and Payton will stomp you in the link this coming season. Bank on it.

Neither one of those quarterbacks were even close to beating the Seahawks last season. On the Giants home field and a neutral Super Bowl field. I do not believe that you are operating at full mental capacity. Or, maybe you are?

BuffaloHawk

Reaction score
wizard1183":2nwlh2ds said:
peachesenregalia":2nwlh2ds said:
Throwdown":2nwlh2ds said:
peachesenregalia":2nwlh2ds said:

Eli and Peyton averaged 4 points against us last year . But let me guess, that's because of PED's right?

tacomahawk

Reaction score
wizard1183":2ngphxw8 said:
peachesenregalia":2ngphxw8 said:
Throwdown":2ngphxw8 said:
peachesenregalia":2ngphxw8 said:

Well the offseason must really be over, cause the crazy troll posts are back, chock full of delusion and speculation. What are the brothers Manning going to accomplish this year, that they couldn't last year? One was an epic failure at home, and the other bruised his enormous forehead in the biggest facepalm moment on a "neutral" field. Color me scared of what both of them will do at the Clink. I would love it if you would show up again after you are proven wrong, but you won't.

wizard1183

Reaction score
Damn right. Still tho, that fat hairy bastard can throw whatever he wants at us, Russ 'n Percy will still toast their ass.[/quote]
Wrong, you mean used to? You won your 1st SB in history and you think you're going to repeat this yr? You don't get passed div rd in playoffs. And even that will take luck. Seahawks take a backseat this yr. Eli and Payton will stomp you in the link this coming season. Bank on it.[/quote]

Well the offseason must really be over, cause the crazy troll posts are back, chock full of delusion and speculation. What are the brothers Manning going to accomplish this year, that they couldn't last year? One was an epic failure at home, and the other bruised his enormous forehead in the biggest facepalm moment on a "neutral" field. Color me scared of what both of them will do at the Clink. I would love it if you would show up again after you are proven wrong, but you won't.[/quote]
Oh don't worry, I will be here right or wrong. To show you this is not a sport. It's entertainment. Seahawks had their glory. Backseat now. Delusion is thinking you're the type of team to repeat when there's no more story there.

The mannings? Well let's see, history repeats itself right? Especially statistically. So, you beat giants 23 or 26-0 last yr in NY. They're coming to Clink and will stomp a mudhe in Seahawks. I GUARANTEE this. As for Payton, it's revenge for losing a SB and remember, he's the best reg season QB in history. That's why he'll get his win in Clink for losing the biggest game of a season. I'm not saying you're going to be an 8-8 team. But you're not winnng your division and def not dominating teams like last yr. it's not in the cards bro I don't think Wilson is that great yet to carry the team to a SB B2B. And Petey has work to do.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
wizard1183":3o7mdovq said:
peachesenregalia":3o7mdovq said:
Throwdown":3o7mdovq said:
peachesenregalia":3o7mdovq said:

:34853_doh: :177692:
Your post is dripping with wishful thinking troll!

Vegas, says your dead wrong..... Why don't you take all the money from your paper route and the cash you get from begging for quarters on offramps, and put it on the Donks, and Giants in Super Bowl futures bets and then bet against Seattle every game, and we will see how little cash you have left in the end.

Did you actually watch Super Bowl XLVIII?????

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
wizard1183":slb8z12x said:

Well the offseason must really be over, cause the crazy troll posts are back, chock full of delusion and speculation. What are the brothers Manning going to accomplish this year, that they couldn't last year? One was an epic failure at home, and the other bruised his enormous forehead in the biggest facepalm moment on a "neutral" field. Color me scared of what both of them will do at the Clink. I would love it if you would show up again after you are proven wrong, but you won't.
Oh don't worry, I will be here right or wrong. To show you this is not a sport. It's entertainment. Seahawks had their glory. Backseat now. Delusion is thinking you're the type of team to repeat when there's no more story there.

The mannings? Well let's see, history repeats itself right? Especially statistically. So, you beat giants 23 or 26-0 last yr in NY. They're coming to Clink and will stomp a mudhe in Seahawks. I GUARANTEE this. As for Payton, it's revenge for losing a SB and remember, he's the best reg season QB in history. That's why he'll get his win in Clink for losing the biggest game of a season. I'm not saying you're going to be an 8-8 team. But you're not winnng your division and def not dominating teams like last yr. it's not in the cards bro I don't think Wilson is that great yet to carry the team to a SB B2B. And Petey has work to do.
LMAO! Thanks for the comedy Donko!
Does Donkospurts have another "personality"?
My trolldar is going off bigtime!

wizard1183

Reaction score
Did you actually watch Super Bowl XLVIII?????[/quote][/quote]
Lol Vegas says I'm wrong? So what Vegas says goes? Please, I watched SB and even bet on the Seahawks. Since we're on Vegas, you must know a bit. I gamble. For Kicks. 2 yrs in a row Seattle has gone 11-5 ats. That's 2 yrs Vegas LOST money on Seattle backers. Now if you think Seattle will kill Vegas again? You're dead wrong. I went 60%+ on gambling last yr. you might beat Denver. But I looked at your schedule. Eli has that win. I'll tell you why. First off isn't It Oakland they play first wk back home? Easy win right? Should be... Then Eli comes to town and murders Seattle. I assure you, it'll be a stomping. Seattle will not even show up to CLINK. I will bet the farm ATS on NYG in the clink. I wish we could make bets over this. :179422:

BuffaloHawk

Reaction score
wizard1183":zjbzmyyd said:
[/quote]
Lol Vegas says I'm wrong? So what Vegas says goes? Please, I watched SB and even bet on the Seahawks. Since we're on Vegas, you must know a bit. I gamble. For Kicks. 2 yrs in a row Seattle has gone 11-5 ats. That's 2 yrs Vegas LOST money on Seattle backers. Now if you think Seattle will kill Vegas again? You're dead wrong. I went 60%+ on gambling last yr. you might beat Denver. But I looked at your schedule. Eli has that win. I'll tell you why. First off isn't It Oakland they play first wk back home? Easy win right? Should be... Then Eli comes to town and murders Seattle. I assure you, it'll be a stomping. Seattle will not even show up to CLINK. I will bet the farm ATS on NYG in the clink. I wish we could make bets over this. :179422:[/quote]

Didn't read.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
wizard1183":xhftjq9j said:
Lol Vegas says I'm wrong? So what Vegas says goes? Please, I watched SB and even bet on the Seahawks. Since we're on Vegas, you must know a bit. I gamble. For Kicks. 2 yrs in a row Seattle has gone 11-5 ats. That's 2 yrs Vegas LOST money on Seattle backers. Now if you think Seattle will kill Vegas again? You're dead wrong. I went 60%+ on gambling last yr. you might beat Denver. But I looked at your schedule. Eli has that win. I'll tell you why. First off isn't It Oakland they play first wk back home? Easy win right? Should be... Then Eli comes to town and murders Seattle. I assure you, it'll be a stomping. Seattle will not even show up to CLINK. I will bet the farm ATS on NYG in the clink. I wish we could make bets over this. :179422:
You are so full of crap your eyes are brown!
Get out of here Donkospurts before I make fun of your mom (cinnaramone) again!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":25iozu3c said:
Throwdown":25iozu3c said:
peachesenregalia":25iozu3c said:

Correct.

MB12

Reaction score
"There's a man who will spend one hour a week designing low hits and the rest of the week importing THC-infused HGH from across the Mexican border"

"In this offseason alone, Rob went to Hooters, Mardi Gras, a St. Patrick's Day parade, the airport, and a Greek festival. Now that is a full, rich life. That is a man with culture, god dammit. "

I love the why your team sucks thing!

Edits: I added more and the article link is only suitable for the Shack

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm calling it now, wizard is donkospurt. His rant about winning percentage at Vegas clinches it.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
OkieHawk":24mxrwgj said:
I'm calling it now, wizard is donkospurt. His rant about winning percentage at Vegas clinches it.

100% agreement. Spurt, you are as bad of a troll as you are a human being...but as a "hidden" troll you are even WORSE!

Latest posts