Report: 49ers bracing for 6-8 game suspension for A. Smith

Laloosh

Reaction score
"Via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the 49ers currently are bracing for Goodell to suspend Smith for six-to-eight games."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... don-smith/

I might have to read through some of the comments for this one to see if I can pick out Marvin's responses ;)

[edit] I should add that I think he gets fewer than 4 games (due to "time served").

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
No way. After the Rice thing even I will write Goodell with a complaint. Smith had 3 gun charges, but they were all one incident and dude has 5 games off anyways

He just can't give a wife beater 2 games and a DUI/Gun guy more. He said he would consider the rehab and maybe those were just empty words. If it was a year later? Fine... but Rice just got his less than a month ago.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I really have no clue how long it will be and to be honest it kinda annoys me. I have no clue what Goodell looks at and what he doesn't. Weed gets you 4 games. A second Weed gets you a year. Killing dogs gets you indefinite. Bounties get you indefinite...

....but beating your girlfriend unconscious gets you 2 games.

I have no idea what the scale is. Where does gun charges and a DUI fall on that wacked scale?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":5w8472qu said:
I really have no clue how long it will be and to be honest it kinda annoys me. I have no clue what Goodell looks at and what he doesn't. Weed gets you 4 games. A second Weed gets you a year. Killing dogs gets you indefinite. Bounties get you indefinite...

I have no idea what the scale is. Where does gun charges and a DUI fall on that wacked scale?
If I lived in CA right now I would be guilty of the gun violations. After stepping back and looking at it, we are talking about 2 DUI instances and the gun thing happening at different times. It looked differently though because all 5 convictions were made at one time.

My issue with it is the consistency. I think the league and the NFLPA have some clear lines drawn on those charges. Then of course there is the meeting. Was this a 1 on 1? Did Aldon have someone there with him? Goodell met with Rice and he met with Aldon, maybe he takes something from that.

It doesn't seem likely that Smith would get 6-8 games. Plus the writers on this situation have been wrong over and over again.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":29mayb9t said:
Marvin49":29mayb9t said:

If I lived in CA right now I would be guilty of the gun violations. After stepping back and looking at it, we are talking about 2 DUI instances and the gun thing happening at different times. It looked differently though because all 5 convictions were made at one time.

My issue with it is the consistency. I think the league and the NFLPA have some clear lines drawn on those charges. Then of course there is the meeting. Was this a 1 on 1? Did Aldon have someone there with him? Goodell met with Rice and he met with Aldon, maybe he takes something from that.

It doesn't seem likely that Smith would get 6-8 games. Plus the writers on this situation have been wrong over and over again.

That's my point. The punishment seems to depend on what mood he's in that day.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2eplbf27 said:
Precedent: Tank Johnson. 8 games.

Goodall said he'd take rehab into account... So 3 games. Maybe still 8 so effectively 13 games.

I have no idea. I obviously don't want it to be a long suspension, but it really bugs me that there is no consistency.

HansGruber

Reaction score
For once I agree with Marvin. Goodell is wildly inconsistent. And the Rice thing was disgusting. 2 games for knocking a woman unconscious? Might as well release a statement saying the NFL supports domestic violence

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":28fo727z said:
It's possible he wants to meet with these guys to see how sorry they really seem to feel about the crap they pull. It's like watching cops, in a mere moment you can tell which guys are just sorry or pissed that they got caught compared to the ones that feel some actual remorse for their actions. ;)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2j2l1izl said:
Marvin49":2j2l1izl said:
It's possible he wants to meet with these guys to see how sorry they really seem to feel about the crap they pull. It's like watching cops, in a mere moment you can tell which guys are just sorry or pissed that they got caught compared to the ones that feel some actual remorse for their actions. ;)

That's kind of where I was going when I mentioned the meeting. The situations are entirely different and in the big picture Smith is just a pup in respect to his age and life experiences. This is all speculation of course, but Goodell could still just decide that Smith gets 1 game for all we know. If Roger met with Smith personally, putting Smith in a situation where had to engineer his own responses, they may not have been the kind of comments that show Smith actually learned from his experiences. It wasn't like he assaulted anyone, so the remorse factor could be very low.

When you look at Rice, he hurt someone he genuinely cares about, automatically triggering serious guilt and likely emotions. Not hard to see the difference if the commissioner sat down with both of them. It would have been easy to show regret for Rice, where Smith is still just essentially a young man that got caught making a mistake that others make with greater frequency. Not a big deal to a early 20s male, with A LOT of money and fame. Especially when the courts were so accommodating. Smith didn't do anything wrong in my personal opinion other than DUI, which has its own serious risks and has killed people. I could relate to not seeing it as a big deal in Smith's position (at that age)

In addition, Smith has proven he is about as sharp as an air mattress. I don't know about Rice, but in talking with Roger, Rice could have worked some tact.

Who knows? As I have already mentioned along with others, it is the inconsistency that surprises me. Maybe Goodell wasn't kidding when he said it wasn't about discipline, but what is best for the player. If he thinks Smith needed a little heavier punishment in the interest of education, the higher number could be his vision of help.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
For the Ray Rice thing. I wonder what was on the tape that Goddell saw. I mean the video we all saw was him already dragging her out unconscious, and we all assume he beat the living crap out of her. Maybe she was going crazy on him in the elevator, he shoved her and obviously being much stronger maybe she hit the back wall a bit hard and got KO'd that way. This being Ray Rice's first violation and that potentially being the reason she was unconscious (versus him doing an mma style takedown + GNP) maybe that's why he was only suspended for 2 games. I'm just speculating.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Suspending Rice for more games would be even more punishment to the woman he knocked out. I'm sure Goodell took into account what the woman wanted too. If she's like most women, she would rather have the money for their family than have it taken away.

Rice also owned what he did immediately and didn't have a list of previous assaults or any other off field issues.

There is also a maximum amount that a player can lose that is part of the CBA. Suspending Rice more games would have exceeded that maximum amount. That is also why the money Rice loses is based on last season's game checks.

Weed does not get a 4 game suspension for the first positive test. The 4 game suspension comes after repeated failed tests. Performance enhancing drugs get the immediate 4 game suspension.

Goodell isn't the one that determines the fine amount or suspensions, he is the one that announces the fines and suspensions that were recommended by a panel of former players and executives. Goodell has final say and does oversee all appeals.

Goodell gets all the blame because people are too lazy to research these things and just parrot what some ignorant hack spews as fact. Even the players think it is Goodell that does EVERYTHING that is supposedly bad.

Lay off the man, it's not him doling out all the punishments.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":28984m6l said:

He had four separate gun incidents, another incident when while on probation he assaulted a police officer , had two jail stints, was on house arrest, had his driver's license revoked, etc.

Aldon may get 8, but don't think Tank is the best comparison .

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":byx5jnew said:
Scottemojo":byx5jnew said:

He had four separate gun incidents, another incident when while on probation he assaulted a police officer , had two jail stints, was on house arrest, had his driver's license revoked, etc.

No comp is perfect.

But Tank is closest.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ed97mxqs said:
Popeyejones":ed97mxqs said:
Scottemojo":ed97mxqs said:

No comp is perfect.

But Tank is closest.

For sure no comp is perfect but Lynch's two separate incidents (hit and run and a DUI) with no felonies is closer to Aldon's three (reckless driving, DUI, and unlawful possession gun charge) with no felonies than Tank's multiple felonies and jail stintS, IMO. He could get 8 for sure because Goods is unpredictable, but saying the best comparison to Aldon possible is Tank is like saying the best comparison possible to Rice is Rae Carruth.

(And yeah, obviously just being rhetorical ;) )

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2shugohk said:
Scottemojo":2shugohk said:
Popeyejones":2shugohk said:
Scottemojo":2shugohk said:

No comp is perfect.

But Tank is closest.

For sure no comp is perfect but Lynch's two separate incidents (hit and run and a DUI) with no felonies is closer to Aldon's three (reckless driving, DUI, and unlawful possession gun charge) with no felonies than Tank's multiple felonies and jail stintS, IMO. He could get 8 for sure because Goods is unpredictable, but saying the best comparison to Aldon possible is Tank is like saying the best comparison possible to Rice is Rae Carruth.

(And yeah, obviously just being rhetorical ;) )

You need to go back to "comparison school" you failed in quite an epic way.
Alldumb benefited from some "9'er friendly" prosecutors. If you or I did the same things that Alldumb did, they would be felonies and we might still be in jail (see gun charges + TSA incident). You can argue that the California gun laws he broke are stupid, and they are, but the law is the law.

....and for the record I don't think Rog has the "man marbles" to force Alldumb to miss 6-8 games, I'd be surprised if it's 2 games.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ue3h16j7 said:
Scottemojo":ue3h16j7 said:

You think it's not fair to Tank?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35lutpdq said:
Scottemojo":35lutpdq said:

Aldon isn't going to get 8 games. That just isn't happening. Unless Rog starts at 8 and credits the rehab time as games missed. Making it 3.

If it broken down by charge, it SHOULD be considered 2 DUI and 1 gun even though 3 gun convictions took place. If Goodell sees that as separate instances of player conduct I suppose I can see 8 games, if he views it as 5 occurrences I think Rog is making a mistake.

Largent80

Reaction score
NFL suspensions are a joke. Smith is a joke, the perfect couple.

He does all that shit and only 6-8 games?...Really?