49ers fan dies after collapsing at Levi's Stadium

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
The fan who died Sunday was sitting in the sun-baked part of the stadium, near the top of the lower bowl behind the visitor's sideline, where temperatures reached 80 degrees and sent many fans to the shady concourses. The heat also prompted an unusually high number of calls for emergency services, team officials said. But it wasn't immediately clear if the heat contributed to the man's collapse.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfoot ... m-collapse

This is very sad news. Rest in peace

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If it wasn't heat stroke, then I feel sorry for him and his family. If it was and he simply wasn't staying even remotely hydrated on a sunny day, then...Err, well, I'll be nice but most people can probably guess what I'm thinking.

I'm assuming for the nonce that it wasn't heat stroke, which makes this an unfortunate tragedy.

Unrelated to this man's death but mentioned in that article, however - a lot of people were seeking shade when it was 80 degrees out? Seriously?!

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zxlaeqy said:
If it wasn't heat stroke, then I feel sorry for him and his family. If it was and he simply wasn't staying even remotely hydrated on a sunny day, then...Err, well, I'll be nice but most people can probably guess what I'm thinking.

I'm assuming for the nonce that it wasn't heat stroke, which makes this an unfortunate tragedy.

Unrelated to this man's death but mentioned in that article, however - a lot of people were seeking shade when it was 80 degrees out? Seriously?!

People from Cali don't understand anything outside of 70 degrees and clear skies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I saw it happen from a distance.

78-80 degrees (yes, really)...but he was overweight, in the sun and drinking. I think he got ultra dehydrated.

It was on the other side of the stadium, saw the tweets as it was happening and saw the paramedics on the other side.

Very sad.

On the temperature thing...gotta remember that peeps are used to Candlestick where it was always about 20 degrees cooler than anywhere else in the bay. Still tho...a lot of complaints about the sun that's been cracking me up all morning.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
I would like to say I am impressed with the classiness of everyone who has posted in this thread. I expected at least one person to make some form of comment about if they watched a game like that as a fan that they would have heart issues too. Cheers to you all! :thirishdrinkers:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":1bx6pef6 said:
I would like to say I am impressed with the classiness of everyone who has posted in this thread. I expected at least one person to make some form of comment about if they watched a game like that as a fan that they would have heart issues too. Cheers to you all! :thirishdrinkers:
Your own fans beat us to it, post # 1992: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... e/page133/

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1cia6pn8 said:
Sourdough #49":1cia6pn8 said:
Your own fans beat us to it, post # 1992: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... e/page133/

And yet I am not shocked in the slightest. I get my news from the zone and that's it. The forums over there can give anyone cancer.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1xu14x34 said:
78-80 degrees (yes, really)...but he was overweight, in the sun and drinking. I think he got ultra dehydrated.

Damn, that's like me all summer long :(

Real sad to hear that. Nobody having a good time in the sun thinks that will be a possible outcome. My prayers are with his family.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sad to hear this..The fan thing is small when this happens..I noticed in those stadium pics a lot of non shade areas and also all those red seats can't help but maybe absorb more heat?

lsheldon

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":1iylyfum said:
RolandDeschain":1iylyfum said:

People from Cali don't understand anything outside of 70 degrees and clear skies.

I lived in Chico for 14 years, and 80 is a nice April day. Temps May to end of October run 100-115 consistently. Damn glad I'm back in Washington now.

EDIT: One thing the announcers mentioned during the game broadcast on NFL Network was that the end of the stadium closest to the water (open end?) had a nice breeze coming in and temps there were about 10 degrees cooler than the other end. Not sure where this guy was sitting in relation to that, but it could have contributed.

Condolences to his family.

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1jkjs5er said:
Sad to hear this..The fan thing is small when this happens..I noticed in those stadium pics a lot of non shade areas and also all those red seats can't help but maybe absorb more heat?

Most of the shade is on the home sideline, but its not any less shaded than most NFL stadiums without some sort of roof.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hate to hear about things like this. It's just a game and everyone deserves to be able to go home after attending such an event. I am the farthest thing from a 49'ers fan but this is a real life situation, my condolences to the man and his family and friends.

Smellyman

Reaction score
sad.

conditions may have had nothing to do with it. He most likely was cardiac trauma happening at any time. Just happened to be at a football game.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Atleast he got to see the new stadium...could have been a bucket list bullet point.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":3hqngrbj said:
Atleast he got to see the new stadium...could have been a bucket list bullet point.

Since there were so many heat related complaints perhaps they should change next week's game to a nighttime event?

acer1240

Reaction score
This sucks ass to hear. At the end of the day we are all the same, no matter which team we follow. Thanks for keeping this thread classy my friends.

Cad

Reaction score
It's going to be a huge change of climate for the Niners and their fans.

San Francisco can often get chilly, especially with the fog.I lived there for 10 years, and it's not unusual to need a light sweater or coat in June. But drive down to Santa Clara/San Jose, and they don't get the fog. It's like 70-90 and blue sky all year round.

Candlestick had a reputation for being chilly with crazy winds. They don't have any of that in Santa Clara.