Stupid Clowney hype has started already

ivotuk

Reaction score
You would have thought that he took out the whole offensive line, sacked the QB and caught the RB for a loss, all in one play the way pundits are talking about Clowney. It's pathetic and obvious that they are looking for the next phenom to talk about.

The play, nobody blocked Clowney and he tackled a running back that will probably be washing dishes later this year.

The God Status confirmation play? Clowney goes around some poor bastard that's been thrown in at left tackle and sacks the QB. I think it was the same guy who forgot to block him the previous play.

I just don't understand the urgency of some writers and announcers to anoint this guy when he's done nothing yet. He's been projected to be a Superstar since his high school days and I guess most of these guys just want to be able to say they called it "years ago," I can't remember who it was on NFL live, Schlereth, Saturday or Eric Allen, but one of them said Jadaveon might outplay JJ Watt. Seriously?

I don't really care about the guy or how he does, but with the hype train at full speed for the past 2 years, I'm leaning towards more of "I hope he fails."

My prediction, he will be a mediocre player with a career mirroring that of Nick Fairley. Tons of talent, but a serious lack of work ethic or motivation. These are 2 players, imaho, that aren't football players, but athletes, taking advantage of what football can give them, as long as they don't have to work too hard for it.

It might have been Bill Polian, who they kept calling "6 time NFL Executive of the Year." Apparently they think people that actually know how dumb Polian is are too few to care about. Is it really any surprise that John Schneider has not won Executive or GM of the Year with this kind of stupidity being the norm?

Okay, rant over.

Edit: From Houston Texans site "Clowney's Monster Hit!" Yes...the hit where he led with the helmet....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/v ... a8d3b2a04a

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3992mr4o said:
I'm fine with it, because just maybe it'll take some of the media knob-slobbering over Luck.
I'd be okay with that. Houston is around 4-12...5-11 this year, they really should have picked Bortles.

chris98251

Reaction score
The new starting QB for the Texans, Christian Ponder or Mark Sanchez. Fitz is a smart guy, but not a QB that can carry a team. Then again those other two I mentions can't either but I think they try to snag one once cuts start to happen. They would be better off slob knockering over who we cut.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":pi6iagf7 said:
You would have thought that he took out the whole offensive line, sacked the QB and caught the RB for a loss, all in one play the way pundits are talking about Clowney. It's pathetic and obvious that they are looking for the next phenom to talk about.

The play, nobody blocked Clowney and he tackled a running back that will probably be washing dishes later this year.

The God Status confirmation play? Clowney goes around some poor bastard that's been thrown in at left tackle and sacks the QB. I think it was the same guy who forgot to block him the previous play.

While I'll agree the hype train has started and probably will keep going no matter what Clowney does, I think you're unfairly criticizing Clowney on these two plays. Kind of like you've made up your mind about him no matter what he does, the flip side of the media hype train.

First, nobody blocked Clowney because he got off the ball quickly enough that the pulling guard assigned to get the kick out block on Clowney didn't have time to get to him. This guard wasn't someone who won't be in the league, it was Atlanta's starting guard Justin Blalock. Blalock has started every game played in his pro career since entering the league in 2007, 110 games.

Second, on the sack, that was not some poor bastard thrown in at left tackle. It was not the same guy who "forgot" to block him on the tackle for loss. Prior to being injured for the season later in the game, Sam Baker was the starting left tackle for the Falcons and has started over 60 games in his career. How good Baker is can be argued, but the Falcons thought enough of him to put 1st round draft pick Jake Matthews on the right side and Clowney beat him so bad he made him look like just a guy who was thrown in there.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I thought those two plays were impressive. Nobody blocked Clowney because he was so quick, he blew right past the OL before he could get his hand out. The hit was nice too.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I predict the Clowney/ Watt combo will be a force to be reckoned with, Regardless of the Texans success or lack there of.
I wish the Hawks had him.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
ivotuk":3mjnu04t said:
I can't remember who it was on NFL live, Schlereth, Saturday or Eric Allen, but one of them said Jadaveon might outplay JJ Watt. Seriously?
What he said was he expects Clowney to have more sacks this year than Watt because Watt will be double teamed on almost every play.

lsheldon

Reaction score
If I recall, prior to the draft they kept showing clips of a play Clowney made in College that was very similar. Apparently making a play in the back field without being blocked is a super human feat.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
lsheldon":34hizpoa said:
If I recall, prior to the draft they kept showing clips of a play Clowney made in College that was very similar. Apparently making a play in the back field without being blocked is a super human feat.

But he wasn't blocked because of his incredible speed and quickness, not because the other guy just didn't bother to block him.

McG

Reaction score
The fact is, they keep talking about one player (or two if count Watt) every time you hear about the Texans. They are a joke on offense with Andre Johnson always being hurt, plus getting older every year and Foster is doing the same. They have NO QB and they are in a division that is just bad enough where they probably wont be in the top 10 of the draft, I'm guessing probably around 8th-15th. They were banking on being bad enough to get a top QB in this next years draft, but I don't see Winston falling that far unless he robs and old folks home. Maybe they can do it if they really flop, but if they play legit that defense will win them 6-8 games in their division.

Clowney is a lot of hype, but he's also an amazing athletic freak. He reminds me of a stronger, and maybe even faster Javon Kearse AKA "The Freak". Kearse ran a 4.58 40 and was a sack machine his first few years in the league, but as soon as his athleticism faded, so did his numbers. Clowney ran a 4.53 40 (when possibly hurt) but he just looks stronger on the field than Kearse. I think Clowney has a career on par (if not a little bit better) than Kearse. His first 5 years, he will be a stud. When age and injuries kick in, he will be an overpaid former star that everyone will think is still a star until his career is over.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My wife and daughter went to the last public practice @ Texans.
Mind you they are nothing more than casual observers.
The one thing that stood out to them aside from getting to see JJ was....
"Omg honey you should have seen this one guy" "he was huge, and so fast"
I asked who was it?
"I don't know, he looked like that predator thing"
Stupid girls.
Any way we looked at the pictures, she said him and pointed at J.C.
IF he stood out to my wife as being "huge and fast" that's saying something.

Least to me it is. :{)

Polk738

Reaction score
Better Clowney than Manziel, the worst part is Clowney has actually made plays to where all Manziel has done is shown the Redskins bench he's number 1..... :lol:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":3h7yuw5w said:
My wife and daughter went to the last public practice @ Texans.
Mind you they are nothing more than casual observers.
The one thing that stood out to them aside from getting to see JJ was....
"Omg honey you should have seen this one guy" "he was huge, and so fast"
I asked who was it?
"I don't know, he looked like that predator thing"
Stupid girls.
Any way we looked at the pictures, she said him and pointed at J.C.
IF he stood out to my wife as being "huge and fast" that's saying something.

Least to me it is. :{)
Your wife and daughters seem intelligent. Also if we had Watt and Clowney the NFL might just fold because of competitive imbalance.