Football Fields

Largent80

Reaction score
After years of watching football, and after years of technology advancements and many discussions on playing surfaces and their reliability, I would like to propose that EVERY NFL stadium be fitted with Field Turf.

This takes a lot of hand wringing, injury concerns, and makes each stadium an equal to every other stadium. It also requires a lot less maintenance, water, and upkeep. Some of these grass fields get used by college teams and some during abysmal weather. It tears up the grass, and makes for a terrible surface to play on.

Look at what happened to RG3 and Chris Clemons in that 2012 playoff game in Washington. Chicago's field is a joke as well as GB. Install Field Turf and regardless of the weather, the field will not break down.

Marvin49

Reaction score
As I said in the other thread...

no.

Field Turf being safer is a myth. Its not used for safety. Its used for ease of maintenance.

Ever since that game at RFK 2 years ago peeps have been selling this myth that Field Turf is safer than grass. That's a bunch of BS. Field Turf is far, far better than early forms of artificial turf like Astroturf, but it isn't any better than grass. RFK was a clusterf*ck. What's happening right now at Levis...that's an outlier. Those are exceptions to the rule.

Football belongs on grass. Period. There are some places I see where Field Turf is necessary where there are domes or weather concerns, but otherwise football should be on grass.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's not a myth, Marvin. Higher ACL/MCL injury rates but lower like EVERYTHING else. Plus those studies do not account for poorer conditions later in the year like FedEx Field in December and January.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
If football belongs on grass then all the teams need to be in SoCal with the water being provided from Alaskan glaciers.

Even all playing fields. Some with shitty grass and are subject to the grounds crew suiting that grass to favor their team. Some of these grass teams are BUILT for grass and that is an unfair advantage as well.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":8gi0t0px said:
It's not a myth, Marvin. Higher ACL/MCL injury rates but lower like EVERYTHING else. Plus those studies do not account for poorer conditions later in the year like FedEx Field in December and January.

I don't buy it. Links?

Also, the firmness of the surface with concrete underneath created serious issues for players later in life..knees, hips, etc.

Dunno if its the same with Field Turf because its new enough that we haven't seen those players get old enough to see what happens.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":1uevld4v said:
If football belongs on grass then all the teams need to be in SoCal with the water being provided from Alaskan glaciers.

Even all playing fields. Some with shitty grass and are subject to the grounds crew suiting that grass to favor their team. Some of these grass teams are BUILT for grass and that is an unfair advantage as well.

Well yeah...sorry...in the other thread I cited that there are some places that you have to have Field Turf...domes, places with weather issues....

...but no reason places like SC, Oakland, LA (once they have a team), Miami or others should be forced to use Field Turf.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Look at the fields with grass. What condition are they in come December and playoff time?

You can't tell me that a field in Chicago on grass is better than a field turf gridiron in the same venue.

That team plays on that turf 8 times as opposed to the visiting team. It is an advantage whether you want to realize it or not.

It should NOT matter where the stadium is located. It is not equal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":242exblq said:
Look at the fields with grass. What condition are they in come December and playoff time?

You can't tell me that a field in Chicago on grass is better than a field turf gridiron in the same venue.

That team plays on that turf 8 times as opposed to the visiting team. It is an advantage whether you want to realize it or not.

It should NOT matter where the stadium is located. It is not equal.

Seriously?

You are going to argue that a home field should not be an advantage?

LOL. That strikes me kinda funny. :D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Largent80":vp0cnz3s said:
After years of watching football, and after years of technology advancements and many discussions on playing surfaces and their reliability, I would like to propose that EVERY NFL stadium be fitted with Field Turf.

This takes a lot of hand wringing, injury concerns, and makes each stadium an equal to every other stadium. It also requires a lot less maintenance, water, and upkeep. Some of these grass fields get used by college teams and some during abysmal weather. It tears up the grass, and makes for a terrible surface to play on.

Look at what happened to RG3 and Chris Clemons in that 2012 playoff game in Washington. Chicago's field is a joke as well as GB. Install Field Turf and regardless of the weather, the field will not break down.

Go play a few games of soccer or football on a fieldturf field, then come back and tell us about it. Anyone who has ever played sports on that crap knows how awful it really is, especially on your knees.

The NFL should require that every team in the league play on real grass, and enforce strict maintenance standards. If England can play soccer thoughout the winter on real grass 2-3 times a week, there is no reason that NFL teams can't play on real grass 10 times per season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1e6nqwlz said:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsdoc/Grass-vs-Turf-does-it-affect-injury-rate.html?c=r

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/821983

Also, wearing proper cleats for the surface you're playing on is important. Keep in mind that a lot of the data supporting grass as being less injury-prone than artificial surfaces includes other artificial forms besides Field Turf, and many stretch back 10-15 years to older, crappier versions of Field Turf, too. MODERN Field Turf with the proper cleats is great stuff.

First one just says there are no differences., The other required a login.

Also doesn't say anything about the effects of playing on that turf later in life. One of the biggest issues with Astroturf was seeing what playing on that stuff did to joints of players AFTER they retired.

Its too early to make that judgment now. I'll stick with grass.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1ugnkeyv said:
Largent80":1ugnkeyv said:

Go play a few games of soccer or football on a fieldturf field, then come back and tell us about it. Anyone who has ever played sports on that crap knows how awful it really is, especially on your knees.

The NFL should require that every team in the league play on real grass, and enforce strict maintenance standards. If England can play soccer thoughout the winter on real grass 2-3 times a week, there is no reason that NFL teams can't play on real grass 10 times per season.

If they just used it Sundays or game days for the NFL team your probably right, but most venues are used for multiple events and purposes, you know so owners can maximise their revenue stream for boxes and get a percentage of the gate for events other then the football team that plays there.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":w7n5pqkf said:
Largent80":w7n5pqkf said:

THANK YOU.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":mkvbb07s said:
RolandDeschain":mkvbb07s said:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sportsdoc/Grass-vs-Turf-does-it-affect-injury-rate.html?c=r

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/821983

Also, wearing proper cleats for the surface you're playing on is important. Keep in mind that a lot of the data supporting grass as being less injury-prone than artificial surfaces includes other artificial forms besides Field Turf, and many stretch back 10-15 years to older, crappier versions of Field Turf, too. MODERN Field Turf with the proper cleats is great stuff.

First one just says there are no differences., The other required a login.

Also doesn't say anything about the effects of playing on that turf later in life. One of the biggest issues with Astroturf was seeing what playing on that stuff did to joints of players AFTER they retired.

Its too early to make that judgment now. I'll stick with grass.

Astroturf WAS the worst kind of turf ever made, basically carpet on concrete that would burn you infect you since it was never cleaned as needed like carpet after all the blood, sweat, gatorade, puke, and anything else spilled upon it. Seams that would be tripped over or come up.

253hawk

Reaction score
I play soccer and flag football on both surfaces extensively and the only major difference is that you leave more skin behind on field turf (because I don't like playing in long sleeves/pants when it's hot.) To date my only real injury resulting directly from the playing surface was a pulled groin on near-frozen grass, but that's not an issue in the pros because all of the cold-climate grass fields are heated.

Field turf also feels a touch cooler to play on because it doesn't radiate all of the sweat-inducing humidity that grass does.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2lsxy2q2 said:

Horseshit. Grass is different on every field in every city. Playing the game on the same surface guarantees no advantages.

Since when does the NFL conduct a season in England?...Friggin soccer is not American football.

The Seahawks seem to do fine on Field Turf and most of the other teams in the NFL agree and have it in their stadiums.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":rtofepuo said:
Seahawks1983":rtofepuo said:

THANK YOU.

God, I hate old-people mentality. Field Turf has improved a lot in the last like five or six years and there probably isn't a single person on this whole freaking forum that has actually played high-level competitive sports on one of the modern Field Turf fields.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":481u3rw9 said:
Marvin49":481u3rw9 said:
Seahawks1983":481u3rw9 said:

THANK YOU.

God, I hate old-people mentality.

Hey...I'm old and THAT is not my mentality, it is simply close minded, and "stick to what works" mentality. Unfortunately that has been proven over history to be incorrect.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hbtethl said:
Marvin49":2hbtethl said:
Seahawks1983":2hbtethl said:

THANK YOU.

God, I hate old-people mentality. Field Turf has improved a lot in the last like five or six years and there probably isn't a single person on this whole freaking forum that has actually played high-level competitive sports on one of the modern Field Turf fields.

Yeah kind of like grammar Nazis :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":lldm9rtt said:
Hey...I'm old and THAT is not my mentality, it is simply close minded, and "stick to what works" mentality. Unfortunately that has been proven over history to be incorrect.
Largent, old-people mentality has NOTHING to do with age. :)