Scary thought

hawknation2014

Reaction score
What if the 49ers had offered Pete Carroll full control with the ability to hire his own GM in 2010?

If given the choice between coaching the Seahawks with full control and coaching the 49ers with full control, I have no doubt whom Carroll would have chosen at that time. After all, Carroll is from the Bay Area and grew up a big Niners fan in Marin County. Coaching the defense under Bill Walsh was one of the formative experiences of Carroll's career.

The Niners already had five Pro Bowlers during the 2009 season, but finished just 8-8 under Mike Singletary. They could have easily fired Singletary at that point, if they were smart, and offered Carroll the full control he always sought. Of course, we know the imperious York family never would have allowed Carroll to have full control . . . but it's a scary thought nonetheless.

The 49ers' base talent combined with John Schneider's scouting and Pete Carroll's legendary coaching and talent evaluation. Maybe combine the greatest LB corps in NFL history with the greatest secondary in NFL history . . . It's not hard to imagine the Niners would already have two Super Bowls under Carroll with more on the horizon. And where would we be?

Thank God Paul Allen made the decisions he did. :th2thumbs:

kearly

Reaction score
And if we had Jim Harbaugh, I'd bet we'd love him and think Pete in SF was the worst cheater ever.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":38clyr7v said:
And if we had Jim Harbaugh, I'd bet we'd love him and think Pete in SF was the worst cheater ever.

We also wouldn't have a Super Bowl, not even close.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":q43o371m said:
Niners fans don't even love him

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":18x667ht said:

Bingo.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2014":z9upc8zo said:

This, I would be embarrassed as hell to have my coach act the way Jimmy does and without probowl talent surrounding him I doubt he has any level of success and we weren't exactly loaded with probowl talent at that time. Thank you Timmay.

Now Kaep I could see falling in love with. The guy is fun to watch but it would be a love hate relationship for me while hoping he matures and grows into his potential.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't know we enjoyed Pinella here and he had moments of irrational behavior we thought was funny.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Pinella lost it sometimes but you always felt like there was a bit of method to his madness (at least I did.) Harbaugh throws little temper tantrums every time ANYTHING goes wrong.

I can honestly say I would be embarrassed as hell if he was my coach and acted like that.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Nah, I haven't been able to stand Harbaugh since he was QBing the Colts. I really would dislike that guy while putting up with him as long as he was winning.

It would really hurt to see Carroll go back to SF and win at least two titles by this time in that alternate universe the OP proposed, however. Ugh.

irocdave

Reaction score
All valid points. I hated Carrol when he was coaching USC was like WTF when he left with obvious sanctions forthcoming. We now see the other NFL fan bases have the same view I used to. Now that Petes here it's clear he s a great coach and has a clear plan and it works. If you are Pete, who would you trust more, Paul Allen or York?

As far as Sweet Lou, he was awesome. He would go ballistic but it was for effect. He did it to get an edge, either with his players or with the umpires. Jimmy boy does it because he cant control himself. Big difference.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":2w0sf6xd said:

Negative, but I might be biased. My mother is a USC Alumni. I loved PC in college and thought that team got royally hosed by the NCAA (which, besides haters, I believe is the general consensus)

Ruminator

Reaction score
Remember Tom Flores, the all-time worst coach hire for Seahawks in the mid-90s? In addition to hating the fact Seahawks were trying to recycle a coach who was already spent and hating the way he wore that off-putting blue sweater knowing black and silver oozes through his veins, I hated his lack of emotion on the sidelines for those three long years. Flores is the opposite of both Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh. How can any player be fired up for such a stoic coach? The day we fired him was one of the happiest days of my life.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Tom Landry was the most Stoic Coach I can remember on the sidelines, but out of the cameras eye I heard he was a kick your ass and let God sort things out and find all the pieces.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ptcnlhr said:
kearly":2ptcnlhr said:

Bingo.

I disagree at least in part. I know a lot of Niner fans who are growing tired of Harbaugh. His strange antics get old after a while. I also don't think we would have a Super Bowl. Harbaugh is a great coach but wouldn't work well with someone like JS.

4freakin9

Reaction score
austinslater25":34go4mz3 said:
Marvin49":34go4mz3 said:
kearly":34go4mz3 said:

Bingo.

I disagree at least in part. I know a lot of Niner fans who are growing tired of Harbaugh. His strange antics get old after a while. I also don't think we would have a Super Bowl. Harbaugh is a great coach but wouldn't work well with someone like JS.

Any 49ers fan who is tired of Harbaugh has only been a niners fan since Harbaugh showed up and they started winning games. The real fans who had to go through the ineptness of Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary could really care less about how he acts as long as he isn't doing anything morally wrong. People love to hate Harbaugh because of his "childness", but if/when he gets a title he will need to be in the discussion for best coach ever as much as it kills some people. The dude gets results in the win category wherever he has been.

Latest posts