Your 2014 Pretenders

rastahawk

Reaction score
I am having a hard time trying to talk myself out of Niners being a pretender for 2014. With the off season they had and stalling offense in the pre-season they might be a tad overrated. I will not be surprised if they go 8-8 or 7-9. Not trying to be a hater just think that this has the makings of their worst team in the Harbaugh era.

There's always 1 or 2 every year (nevermind teams that are already bad). Last year the Texans and Falcons had monumental collapses. One minute you're primed for you SB run, the next you're a dumpster fire.

On the AFC side I see the Chargers possibly going under too. They backed into the playoffs last year and sneaked a win against Cincy but this year they play the NFC West plus Broncos and Chiefs twice each. Also the Pats, Ravens and Fins.

Who are your pretenders for this year?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Chiefs and whiners.

I think the chiefs will be closer to their 2012 record than their 2013 record. Too many losses on their O-line. Plus Alex Smith.

Older players that have played more games than any other team over the past three years is gonna catch up to the niners this year. Every team has older players, but the niners best players are old. Plus, Colin Kaepernick.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Panthers. No receiving corps, Newton's already banged up, and last year was a bit of a fluke IMO. 8-8 tops.

Taehwk

Reaction score
I agree with Panthers.

Saints win the south but I think Tampa shows a lot of improvement this year and will challenge.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Taehwk":32y265hg said:
I agree with Panthers.

Saints win the south but I think Tampa shows a lot of improvement this year and will challenge.
I like Atlanta better then Tampa Bay the former has an elite quarterback. Kansas City? Not even the local media believes they're any better then 7-9 please pick another.:)

chris98251

Reaction score
AFC
East
Dolphins : Pretender
Jets : Challenger
Patriots : Favorite
Bills : Pretender
North
Ravens : Challenger
Steelers : Pretender
Browns : Pretender
Bengals : Favorite
South
Colts : Favorite
Jaguars : Pretender
Texans : Pretender
Titans : Challenger
West
Chargers : Pretender
Raiders : Challenger
Chiefs : Pretender
Broncos : Favorite
NFC
East
Eagles : Favorite
Redskins : Pretender
Cowboys : Pretender
Giants : Challenger
North
Bears : Pretender
Vikings : Pretender
Packers : Challenger
Lions : Favorite
South
Buccaneers : Challenger
Panthers : Pretender
Saints : Favorite
Falcons : Pretender
West
Rams : Pretender
Seahawks : Favorite
49ers : Challenger
Cardinals : Pretender

This isn't saying everyone will be bad, just who will win a division and who will push them at the end to come closest to unseating them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
panthers and niners. Santa Clara has too many issues going against that team, teams are going to figure out "captain one read"..... suspensions, injuries, age, Harbaugh's personality, Kraepperchoke's personality/attitude are all negatives, and craptastic field may add to even more injuries as it will be a year long issue.

The panthers have no receivers and Kam will be fighting injuries all year long.

kigenzun

Reaction score
The Stealers will always be pretenders in my book...
:thfight7:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Panthers are definitely in for a down year. They were already weak at WR, and now they lose Steve Smith, LaFell and Ginn. The rookie Benjamin will be a good player, but not sure I want a rookie being the leader of my receiver corps. Cam already banged up too, not a good sign.

Chiefs will clearly come down to earth. They played one of the easiest schedules last year. I think 8-8 at best. I like the Chargers to have a better record than them.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Niners and not because of the obvious rivalry. I actually like it when they are neck and neck with us. I just think they take a regression this year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Chiefs and Carolina although I'm less certain about KC because they have a quality head coach. San Diego could slip too.
I'd say the Stealers and Cowpatties because of the endless media hype they receive, but they were nothing but pretenders last year as well so.............

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure I can objectively call a team that made it to the NFCCG the last 3 years, lost the Superbowl on a last second defensive play as well as a nail-biter this past season in the NFC CG as a pretender. More like wishful thinking.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I personally don't think the Niners are dropping far from their previous venture with the playoffs and such. They are a little older and have a few key issues, but like the Hawks they are built to withstand a certain amount of adversity.

This assumes that Harbafreak continues to emphasize on a power run game and tough defense. If he gets cute, if he tries to turn the team into something it isn't, all bets are off. The Niners have won since that philosophy has been implemented. It doesn't allow for teams to get too far ahead and keeps the team in games. If they lose that edge, the Niners could easily drop a few games that first appeared to be wins.

Panthers? Oh hell yeah... they aren't going anywhere.

Kansas City. The 2011 SF wannabe, the difference being that this season their QB won't be able to add anything to his game and the simplicity of his limitations will make life easier for opposing defenses.

hawker84

Reaction score
drdiags":3gp9zwox said:
Not sure I can objectively call a team that made it to the NFCCG the last 3 years, lost the Superbowl on a last second defensive play as well as a nail-biter this past season in the NFC CG as a pretender. More like wishful thinking.

Agree. Anyone thinking they won't be in the thick of it come post season is not being entirely realistic.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Many forgot the primary reason the Panthers were good-a defense that produced 60 sacks, the second most since the 85 Bears. Everyone from that unit is back, with Lotulelei and Short improved from their rookie years, plus rookie Kony Ealy. Time will tell with the injuries and new additions on O, but that D will keep the Panthers in most games.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3vk8z2sw said:
I personally don't think the Niners are dropping far from their previous venture with the playoffs and such. They are a little older and have a few key issues, but like the Hawks they are built to withstand a certain amount of adversity.

This assumes that Harbafreak continues to emphasize on a power run game and tough defense. If he gets cute, if he tries to turn the team into something it isn't, all bets are off. The Niners have won since that philosophy has been implemented. It doesn't allow for teams to get too far ahead and keeps the team in games. If they lose that edge, the Niners could easily drop a few games that first appeared to be wins.

Panthers? Oh hell yeah... they aren't going anywhere.

Kansas City. The 2011 SF wannabe, the difference being that this season their QB won't be able to add anything to his game and the simplicity of his limitations will make life easier for opposing defenses.

How exactly are they built to withstand these few key issues?

I know Niner fans want you to think that Tank and Dial are the next coming of Cowboy and Smith but the truth is they are currently third sting and the playing time they got was against mostly other third string guys. Their back ups looked gawd awful this preseason and I don't buy the its only preseason bull, they looked like shit and were trounced relentlessly.

That O-line has looked putrid and the replacements are not the only problem. Their best guard Iupati, has looked as bad or worse than Kilgore or Looney. They don't have any other guys ready to step in and be any better so how are they going to fix that O-line?

Kaep has also been a hot mess and I think mostly because of the pressure he has been seeing from his O-line play. Will it improve? Probably but all that depth we have been hearing about is falling on it's face and how much improvement are we talking about because from what I have seen it needs to improve significantly, not just gel a little, Kaep is not good when under pressure and those weapons will sit on a shelf if he sees constant pressure.

I just don't buy that they are near as deep as they want everyone to believe. Pillabusta on the webzone has been arguing all off season with anyone who would listen that this is the deepest and most talented team Harbaugh has fielded and the most talented team in the league pound for pound. I love his reasoning to. According to him this last draft is proof of why the Niners are the most talented team in the NFL will stay deep for years to come. Yup, the class that hadn't even seen an OTA when he started saying it is proof. It's really kind of comical.

Here's the reality. Any other team with as many issues as the Niners have had recently, between FO, coaching staff, contract issues, off field issues, losing key players, hold outs and now injuries, the entire NFL would be writing them off but because the NFL hype train loves to travel through San Fran, the NFL community has had all the depth BS shoved down our throats even though there has been no real reason to believe it.

Remember how poor they have been at subbing players in? That is because the drop off from starter to the next guys is to big to ignore. That is a problem you have when you lack depth, not the other way around.

Harbaugh was smart to try and get his extension this offseason but Ballke and Jed were smarter to see if he can hold this ship together when the seas get rough and getting rough they are.