Hard Knocks Falcons

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I just started watching this season of Hard Knocks with the Falcons, and have been amused at how hard teams are trying to mimic what the Hawks are doing.

- Mike Smith has said "always compete" at least 20 times in the first two episodes
- New practice drills of upping the tempo
- competition drills like the Hawks do
- The hiring of Bryan Cox and Mike Tice to try and instill toughness and a nasty edge

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i7w27mq said:
I just started watching this season of Hard Knocks with the Falcons, and have been amused at how hard teams are trying to mimic what the Hawks are doing.

- Mike Smith has said "always compete" at least 20 times in the first two episodes
- New practice drills of upping the tempo
- competition drills like the Hawks do
- The hiring of Bryan Cox and Mike Tice to try and instill toughness and a nasty edge
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

rigelian

Reaction score
Not quite imitation. The last one seemed like an endless stream of diatribes. Doesn't seem like Pete' way.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rigelian":10h696u2 said:
Not quite imitation. The last one seemed like an endless stream of diatribes. Doesn't seem like Pete' way.

Definitely not imitation. Smith is very old school with the way he practices, but you can tell he and his staff have watched how the Hawks compete and practice and are trying to incorporate what Pete does.

But like Pete has said, his style and the way the Hawks do things cannot be copied because it's more than just drills.......it's a top down thing, a draft philosophy, etc. So mimic away rest of league, it's a futile effort.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If he is trying to mimic Carroll's philosophy, he has failed miserably. The vision espoused in the last episode was one of complete negativity.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1rcdwwf8 said:
If he is trying to mimic Carroll's philosophy, he has failed miserably. The vision espoused in the last episode was one of complete negativity.

I've only seen the first two, but yeah it's like night and day with how some coaches just preach the negative.

It's why players all over the league are pulling hamstrings to come play here if the money's even close to equal.

rigelian

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1yf9slyg said:

I have to admit that it was entertaining. Ultimately I don't think it will be very effective. I surprised that more players don't try to punch out their coaches in that environment.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Bryan Cox should have his own reality TV series. He is funny as hell. I find this season's episodes somewhat boring, but I watch it to see what BC will say.

The verbal lashing the special teams coach gave in the last episode was pretty epic as well. I thought some of the players were going to cry lol.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1rb1c3as said:
Bryan Cox should have his own reality TV series. He is funny as hell. I find this season's episodes somewhat boring, but I watch it to see what BC will say..

I also like Cox, he's a cigar smokin' throwback.

I think Hard Knocks is worn out, it's the same formula every year, regardless of the team. I still watch cause i'm such an NFL junkie, but it certainly is getting less and less exciting to watch every year.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
The last really compelling Hard Knocks IMO was the Dolphins in 2012, and a large part of that was due to Chad Johnson self-destructing in real time.

rigelian

Reaction score
Bryan Cox is great. However, I think the special teams coach's rant was better.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Bryan Cox never COULD keep his mouth shut! Man I used to hate that guy when he was a player with the Jets/Pats/Saints.

He's entertaining on Hard Knocks though.