Kelvin Benjamin

DavidSeven

Reaction score
6 catches, 92 yards, including an insane TD grab. All while getting passes from the carcass of Derek Anderson.

I think he's going to be legit. Never understood why so many were down on him pre-draft. Yeah, he was raw, but he proved time and again in college to be a beast in the redzone. He's looking like an NFLer right now.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Jimbo Fisher said if he stayed he would have been a top 3 pick. In a redraft from May, right now, I think he would be. My pick for OROY in the offseason.

drrew

Reaction score
I was down on him pre draft, and I was wrong.

Didn't think the football talent would ever catch up to the immense physical talent.

This is one of several hundred (thousand? million?) reasons why I work at the UW instead of as an NFL GM.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was agAinst him too, thought he was to immature to be a first round pick and had him in the 2nd or 3rd. Cam and Riverboat Ron pRobably have a lot to do with him being successful early.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Comming from a power like FSU I find this hard to believe but he has said that he never learned how to prepare. He had never viewed film of an opponant. He is going to get a lot better with NFL coaching.

ctrcat

Reaction score
ivotuk":203rcm46 said:
I was agAinst him too, thought he was to immature to be a first round pick and had him in the 2nd or 3rd. Cam and Riverboat Ron pRobably have a lot to do with him being successful early.

I think the credit belongs to Ricky Proehl, his WR coach.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
His drops always looked like coachable issues to me, mostly concentration type stuff that looked like it would improve with repetitions. Nothing really to do with a physical limitation or a fundamental flaw in how he caught. I thought that was nitpicky issue that people were focusing on too much -- losing the forest for the trees. He had too many other big picture positives that were flashing all over the place to ignore, and those things are translating very well to the pro game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":14vjb9xx said:
6 catches, 92 yards, including an insane TD grab. All while getting passes from the carcass of Derek Anderson.

Never understood why so many were down on him pre-draft. .

I confess to being one of those people. Didn't want us to draft him because his hands were questionable. I liked the hell outta Richardson @ Colorado, but if Benjamin isn't going to be dropping balls, I guess he was the smarter pick. Especially considering we don't have one of him already. Time will tell, but looks like I mighta' missed on the kid.

googoodan

Reaction score
ctrcat":1rmurfls said:
ivotuk":1rmurfls said:

I think the credit belongs to Ricky Proehl, his WR coach.

He and Cam bonded almost immediately; they were inseparable during training camp. I'm not sure how much Riverboat or OC Mike Shula had to do with it. Ricky Proehl definitely will get the best out of him.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I have Cooks in one of my leagues and Benjamin in the other. I used Cooks today but had Benjamin on my bench. That won't happen again.

Soppie

Reaction score
I only saw him play once and that was in the National Championship last year. After that game I was so hoping he would fall to the Seahawks. Stupid Panthers. I did draft him on my fantasy teams though!

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ibvhjkt said:

I think he's going to be legit. Never understood why so many were down on him pre-draft. Yeah, he was raw, but he proved time and again in college to be a beast in the redzone. He's looking like an NFLer right now.

I was WAY down on Benjamin in the draft.

And then I saw him in the preseason. That changed my mind very quickly.

I think Benjamin is basically the WR equivalent of Knowshon Moreno. He's good, but not elite. But he'll still put up monster production thanks to a situation where failure is almost impossible.

I actually drafted Benjamin last week in my fantasy draft. One of the better 12th round picks I've ever made.

kearly

Reaction score
An aside, my somewhat low opinion of Cooks remains the same, but I think he's going to be very good in fantasy this year. Brees was looking for Cooks all game long the way that Andy Dalton looks for AJ Green. Cooks is going to get a lot of targets, and a lot of production.

He's exactly the player I thought he'd be, the only part I was wrong about was the targets he'd be getting. Brees has a history of spreading the ball, but in this game he had more than a few forced reads to Cooks. He forced the ball to Cooks so much you'd think he owned the guy in fantasy.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":3kvv47uq said:
An aside, my somewhat low opinion of Cooks remains the same, but I think he's going to be very good in fantasy this year. Brees was looking for Cooks all game long the way that Andy Dalton looks for AJ Green. Cooks is going to get a lot of targets, and a lot of production.

He's exactly the player I thought he'd be, the only part I was wrong about was the targets he'd be getting. Brees has a history of spreading the ball, but in this game he had more than a few forced reads to Cooks. He forced the ball to Cooks so much you'd think he owned the guy in fantasy.

Eight targets, seven catches for 77 yards and a TD, plus one run for 18 yards.

That's a solid debut for Cooks or any rookie WR. It's about what I expected from him, rare explosiveness and cutting ability combined with solid hands.

Benjamin has surprised me with how effective he has been. I thought he would be run out of the league like so many slow head cases before him. Instead, Benjamin has risen to the occasion.