Shotgun early snap . .

Dismas

Reaction score
Saw again in this Monday night game . . Rivers moving up to make a line call, and the center snaps the ball.

Rivers was lucky and caught it, then got a PI gift, but here is my issue:

If the QB is moving forward when the ball is snapped, is that not illegal procedure?
I was under the impression that any forward motion by a player in the backfiel was a procedure penalty, but have seen this deal with the early snap go uncalled many times of late.

Anyone have any insight on this?

sutz

Reaction score
Good question. However, I think calling Illegal Procedure on an errant snap like that would be a huge advantage to the offense. In effect, the missed snap/fumble would be erased and the offense would get the ball back with a five yard penalty as a dead ball foul. Perhaps the QB in that situation is treated like the punter, who also might take a step into the snap to receive it. The guy back there has to have some allowance to 'correct' to the ball when it is snapped.

It'll be interesting if the guy above gets a response from Perreira (sp?).

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
sutz":23f4ztrb said:
Good question. However, I think calling Illegal Procedure on an errant snap like that would be a huge advantage to the offense. In effect, the missed snap/fumble would be erased and the offense would get the ball back with a five yard penalty as a dead ball foul. Perhaps the QB in that situation is treated like the punter, who also might take a step into the snap to receive it. The guy back there has to have some allowance to 'correct' to the ball when it is snapped.

It wouldn't be a dead ball foul, it's illegal motion, not a false start. They called this on Manning the opening play of the Superbowl, he was moving forward at the snap, we declined it and took the safety.

A

Anonymous

The key is if he was moving forward before, or after the snap.

Once the center begins the snapping motion, the backfield can begin to move forward.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":2y40s4li said:

Motion by the QB isn't necessarily dead ball. The same reason Denver had a penalty on the safety in the SB. Hawks declined the penalty. False start is dead, but I don't think procedure is.

I think. ;)