Janay Rice Statement

volsunghawk

Reaction score
That's the words of someone who values her financial security more than her physical or mental security.

Or maybe she's just afraid that Ray losing his high-paying career is going to set him off.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not going to pretend to be able to get inside her head.

I had the TV on in the background yesterday afternoon, and I saw the video of her being beaten broadcast on national TV at least fifteen times. She has a point on that. It's fine for opinion and news orgs to condemn domestic violence and Rice's behavior, but showing a woman getting beaten on national broadcasts over, and over, and over again is completely unjustified. There's no point for it beyond ratings. So, not that there aren't huge problems with her statement, but all the media orgs that cry alligator tears while boosting their ratings with video of her beating are disgusting as well. She can decide what's more damaging to her. We might disagree, but as armchair QBs that's really not our call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":39oaukbn said:
That's the words of someone who values her financial security more than her physical or mental security.

Or maybe she's just afraid that Ray losing his high-paying career is going to set him off.

Bingo.

I think most of the NFL wives are intoxicated by the league lifestyle, notoriety and awesome perks that come with being married/together to a star.........and in Rice's case, a Super Bowl champion beloved by an entire region.

So I could see her saying this. It's sad really, what she should be saying is "I was wrong to even be with this man, I need to set an example for my daughter that domestic violence is not to be tolerated no matter the circumstance."

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It is the world we now live in. There are cameras everywhere and we need to be aware of that.

For a high profile NFL player making millions for a brief time, all they have to do is comply for that time and they are good to go. Rice didn't, and now the lollipop has been yanked from the mouth.

They have plenty of money already, but their lavish lifestyle just took a hit.

My wife works as a therapist. A lot of her work involves battered women, she tells me some of the stories and you can't believe what some of them put up with and the reasons each of them have.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3buh53wo said:

It's sad but you're spot on about the first part I think.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
volsunghawk":vq8k9qrv said:

Janay Rice and Ray Rice have been to together since High School, so I'm not sure the "its about the money" is part of the issue.

Sure, she probably deals with stuff other victims of domestic violence deal with, but considering she was with Rice when he had no money, I tend to think other things are at play here.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
People are complicated and complex. For her to have to re-live that moment in her life on a constant loop now and in the foreseeable future can't be easy. I don't really have an issue with her perspective, and I'm not sure what bashing her viewpoint accomplishes. I think the media, in general, is eager to morally grandstand. It sells, because the public loves having that morally superior feeling, too. She has a right to a feel certain way about how the media and the public have chosen to discuss this moment in her life. Personally speaking, I've felt this has gotten a bit out of hand in terms of discourse.

That being said, I concede that this probably would've all been avoided if public officials and the NFL had taken a harsher stand to begin with. The action then should've been harsh enough that the subsequent release of the full video wouldn't have made a difference. It is what it is, and people are paying the consequences now for poor administration. Doesn't mean there isn't collateral damage to those most directly involved.

To pretend to know what she's going through right now is pretty crass IMO.

hoxrox

Reaction score
If she truly feels she can help Ray Rice battle his demons, more power to them. They can do that with or without an NFL contract.

What they need to realize though is that domestic violence is a much bigger issue than them. It's not just "their life." This issue transcends football, and a clear message needs to be sent that it cannot be tolerated, and that pro athletes should not be given special treatment.

If an "embarrassing" video needs to be made public for that to happen, then so be it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1o9fd0i5 said:
volsunghawk":1o9fd0i5 said:

Janay Rice and Ray Rice have been to together since High School, so I'm not sure the "its about the money" is part of the issue.

Sure, she probably deals with stuff other victims of domestic violence deal with, but considering she was with Rice when he had no money, I tend to think other things are at play here.

Oh, I'm sure that multiple things are at play here. Relationships are complicated.

With that being said, though, money's a powerful motivator.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ds2agxp said:
People are complicated and complex. For her to have to re-live that moment in her life on a constant loop now and in the foreseeable future can't be easy. I don't really have an issue with her perspective, and I'm not sure what bashing her viewpoint accomplishes. I think the media, in general, is eager to morally grandstand. It sells, because the public loves having that morally superior feeling, too. She has a right to a feel certain way about how the media and the public have chosen to discuss this moment in her life. Personally speaking, I've felt this has gotten a bit out of hand in terms of discourse.

That being said, I concede that this probably would've all been avoided if public officials and the NFL had taken a harsher stand to begin with. The action then should've been harsh enough that the subsequent release of the full video wouldn't have made a difference. It is what it is, and people are paying the consequences now for poor administration. Doesn't mean there isn't collateral damage to those most directly involved.

There it is. This is the post I was starting to try to get to in mine above, and abandoned because I probably would have failed. Very well said, and absolutely agreed.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I heard some one on the radio point out that she may be trying to take care of her children financialy by wishing this away. Of course the danger there is in what happens when Ray snaps at the child?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":iqo33d0c said:

I agree with you, but for Janay to not act like a domestic violence victim, and instead act like a media victim is troubling to me.

Now maybe the Rice's are working on their marriage behind closed doors, and that'd be awesome. But for her to just attack the media like they're the one's to blame for all this? Sorry, if she wants to know who's to blame all she has to do is look across the dinner table at the guy who knocked her out.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the deal for me after talking to my wife about it.

She married the guy AFTER this happened.

She minimized this incident. Who is to say this has not happened before. For him to actually punch her shows something. What my therapist wife said is that 9 out of 10 times if it has gone that far, there is or has been a pattern. That doesn't mean it is the case here, but in her eyes (someone that works with battered women) this is the case.

She loves the guy for multiple reasons. Money seems obvious. Being in love together for a long time is a logical reason to marry but after getting knocked out? There is some other M.O. going on.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Domestic violence and sexual assault are crimes against society. The individual victim has their own choice about whether to seek help, whether to report it, whether to testify against the abuser, and even whether to stay with him. That is her choice. That does not mean we as a society should ignore the underlying crime. Young men need to be educated about how to properly conduct themselves like men. And young women should be educated about how to protect themselves and especially when to walk away from a dangerous and degrading relationship. How many of us know women who have gone from one abusive relationship to the next?

chris98251

Reaction score
Some women believe that it's their fault, some are scared, some think it's how it is suppose to be, some fear that the repercussions such as maybe Rice bought her mother a home or is providing for her or other family members and if she separates that gets taken away.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He beat her ass on camera in public. There never was a right to privacy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2npcr58f said:

Very well said.

It's just like the NFL saying they want to proTect players but then replaying big his over and over. And it's not just the NFL, the TV networks are in collusion for crying foul, acting self-righteous, then broadcasting the very same over and over for ratings boost.

We don't know any of the people involved personally so I'll pay attention to what players like Chris Canty and Justin Forssett have to say before I pay heed to any "morally outraged" talking head who "inadvertently" is boosting their ratings through their stance and reporting of this situation.

Chris Canty said the TV networks need to consider the victims feelings when they keep replaying the video over and over. One time in the course of reporting the incident is fine, but after that, it's exploitation of the victim's situation for personal gain.

Forsett said Ray Rice is his friend and he's not going to abandon him because he made a mistake. Pretty ballsy statement considering he's putting himself at risk of people passing judgement on him.

I think the thing that bothers me the most though, is how everyone is ready to hang Rice with out knowing if he has a history. That, and people are reacting so vehemently to this situation, yet murders associated with NFL players are closed over.

Where was the outrage with Ray Lewis? Marvin Harrison? Aaron Hernandez? What about the DUI that killed a pedestrian?

The KC LB that killed his girl friend them himself? What became of that? Is there someone with the NFL addressing those types of issues or is that yesterday news because we didn't have a video that we could watch over and over?

It makes one wonder, how would the response be if Rice has killed his GF? What reaction if it had been on video for everyone to wAtch? Would it matter if he shot her or beat her to death?

It's really troubling, but I really really hope that something good comes of this and it's not forgotten in the next news cycle.

As tough as it is, We need real solutions, not new regulations.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think we can all admit that TMZ is a blight upon the planet, and their leak of the video was less 'vigilante justice' and more the results of them being scum of the Earth.

As for Janay, it's her right to forgive her husband. If she doesn't really mean it, or he doesn't really mean it (because it's all about the money), we'll find out after Ray fails to find another team (or receives a vet minimum.) It seems cynical and presumptuous to assume she's more interested in money than the security of her marriage before that fact. (I understand the reasoning, but I feel like, in this case, there ought to be room made for actual forgiveness given their prior clean sheet.)