John Abraham retires

ringless

Reaction score
We just lost another starter (our 5th). John Abraham has decided to retire. Has been suffering from memory loss for over a year and this weeks concussion was the last straw.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
It's really sad, that he will most likely have a low quality of life for the remainder of it.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
That's 6 players from our starting D last year if you include the honey badger. All of that talent on shelves. It's unfortunate, the season would have been so much more exciting.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ringless":3vp6zrmx said:
We just lost another starter (our 5th). John Abraham has decided to retire. Has been suffering from memory loss for over a year and this weeks concussion was the last straw.
Wow. I don't wish that on anyone. I think Welker should get a clue and do the same before it's too late.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I kind of laughed when the Cards picked him up because of his age, but he turned out to bring serious value when he played. Very underrated defender.

Great player that helped the Cards make a turn, unfortunately he was at the point where he couldn't sustain that kind of injury.

The Cards were riding on the experience of some quality vets, the Hawks have had the same thing happen to them in the past too. Tough break. I just hope he doesn't have permanent impact from it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":16g4065x said:
ringless":16g4065x said:
Wow. I don't wish that on anyone. I think Welker should get a clue and do the same before it's too late.

Welker is too busy popping performance enhancing drugs.

kearly

Reaction score
I wanted Abraham for the Hawks badly. He had a great career, and deserves HoF consideration (5th all time in sacks).

Huge blow to the Cards. But that brilliant DC seems to turn no-name players into studs. We'll see how they handle this.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
That completely sucks. I sincerely hope the memory loss doesn't develop into a bigger issue.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
A thought popped into my head: Ringless, do you find it curious at all that he retired from the game after playing week one, thereby guaranteeing his salary for the season?

I didn't watch too much of the game so I didn't see the hit that caused this new concussion. But the reports I saw indicate he's been having memory loss issues and it just seems to me that the timing is a bit suspect--survive the offseason, play one game, retire....profit!

(but again, I haven't seen the severity of the impact in last week's game so if it was an obvious concussion blow, please disregard).

Either way I do hope he ends up OK. Tough blow to your team's D for sure--sorry.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cards have one of the older rosters in the NFL. Not just this year but the last 3 years.

They remind me so much of the 2006-2009 Seahawks.

Their veteran talent can put together a myriad of solid efforts and they'll win 9+ games or just as well they'll go through devastating injuries and performance drop-offs and sputter to about 8 wins or worse.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":248n7i2w said:
I wanted Abraham for the Hawks badly. He had a great career, and deserves HoF consideration (5th all time in sacks).

Huge blow to the Cards. But that brilliant DC seems to turn no-name players into studs. We'll see how they handle this.

For some reason I was thinking it was Ray Horton, but he's with Tennesse now. Horton was really good there. Todd Bowles has done really well . Why is it that former defensive backs make such good DCs?

"Played defensive back in the NFL for eight seasons with the Washington Redskins (1986-90; 1992-93) and San Francisco 49ers (1991)."

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches ... 93a6294ec5

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3hxhdgrz said:
A thought popped into my head: Ringless, do you find it curious at all that he retired from the game after playing week one, thereby guaranteeing his salary for the season?

I didn't watch too much of the game so I didn't see the hit that caused this new concussion. But the reports I saw indicate he's been having memory loss issues and it just seems to me that the timing is a bit suspect--survive the offseason, play one game, retire....profit!

(but again, I haven't seen the severity of the impact in last week's game so if it was an obvious concussion blow, please disregard).

Either way I do hope he ends up OK. Tough blow to your team's D for sure--sorry.

That's actually a great question, he missed all of camp as well. I would hate to even consider it. It is selfish in so many ways... Taking up a roster spot, letting the team down, and killing your teams cap, and deception all in one. I think it is certainly a possibility considering he has been having the issue for over a year, I dont think this one game decided it. But who knows, Id hate to think that is the case but it is possibly. Especially with us who are already hurting in dead money....

Just this year, here is our dead money for players no longer with us...

Levi Brown 6,514,191... Disgusting
Adam Snyder 3,000,000
Daryn Colledge 2,750,000

Almost 12 million on offensive lineman players alone who are not on the team lol.

Another 1,500,000 in random players.

John Abraham now 3,925,000 we will lose

Dockett: 9,300,000

Washington 6,000,000
and just for fun next year Fitzgerald is set to count for 23,600,000 against the cap lol
As well as Patrick and Calais both at 15,000,000

At least we are now starting to do great cap management since Keim took over. Some of that is just ugly

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Abraham has decided to not retire, and will rejoin the team tomorrow... Wants to get to #5 all time on the sack list! This is huge for us because our pass rush was not the same without him the last 1.5 games.....

Wow this has me excited!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ringless":1tx7039j said:
Abraham has decided to not retire, and will rejoin the team tomorrow... Wants to get to #5 all time on the sack list! This is huge for us because our pass rush was not the same without him the last 1.5 games.....

Wow this has me excited!
Tell him to sack Keapernick 3-4 times ok? Though I wish he would retire if he is having effects of concussion damage ie. memory loss etc.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
ringless":30zvwnzy said:

Wow this has me excited!

And when he takes another blow to the head next week, is he going to retire again?

Usually in cases like this the best thing is to not continue.