49ers punish Ted Robinson for domestic-violence comments

Jville

Reaction score
More insight into the 49er way.

Link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/09/10/49ers-suspend-announcer-ted-robinson-two-games-domestic-violence-comments/[/urltargetblank]

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Well that is one way to defend your guy, just bury him for a couple weeks. Dang.. that is pretty harsh.

Lol.. sensitivity training, like the old Terry Tate Reebok commercials.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2ev3qntk said:

Link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/09/10/49ers-suspend-announcer-ted-robinson-two-games-domestic-violence-comments/[/urltargetblank]

In favor of that one. I like Ted but that was out of line.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":3nljj8re said:
Jville":3nljj8re said:

Really? He didn't even bruise anyone.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2o17mhid said:
Marvin49":2o17mhid said:
Jville":2o17mhid said:

You have proof that McDonald did? I'd love to see it if you do.

Ted is a very good broadcaster, but those comments were way, way out if line. BTW, wasn't just the 49ers. He was also suspended by the PAC12 Network.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
All I saw on that blog was how the blog page listed the standings for the NFC West w SF in 1st place..... Official standings would say we are listed above them as the team with the most net points is first.

kearly

Reaction score
Marvin49":3om66t6q said:
Ted is a very good broadcaster, but those comments were way, way out if line. BTW, wasn't just the 49ers. He was also suspended by the PAC12 Network.

I don't think what the broadcaster said was bad at all. But right now, you have to word everything PERFECTLY or else the greater collective of mediocre minds will freak out on you, due to their own inability to detect the actual meaning of words or their predisposition for meaningless outrage. This, in turn, has turned us all into politicians, speaking in empty platitudes that often prance around the truth. Or if you dare speak the truth, prepare to get reamed. I hate our society right now.

Regarding Scotte, he's just ribbing Harbaugh for the 49ers jumping all over a broadcaster for basically nothing, while letting a guy who was arrested for violence play on (because the 49ers need McDonald, and they don't need some sportscaster, except as a sacrificial lamb).

Maybe the charges get dropped, but that doesn't mean violence didn't happen. It's reasonable to be a cynic.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fmaqizy said:
Scottemojo":1fmaqizy said:
Marvin49":1fmaqizy said:
Jville":1fmaqizy said:

Some suggest freedom of speech down there has also been suspended and punished.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":19o02oc0 said:
Marvin49":19o02oc0 said:

I don't think what he said was bad at all. But right now, you have to word everything PERFECTLY or else the greater collective of mediocre minds will freak out on you, due to their own inability to detect the actual meaning of words or their predisposition for meaningless outrage. This, in turn, has turned us all into politicians, speaking in empty platitudes that often prance around the truth. Or if you dare speak the truth, prepare to get reamed. I hate our society right now.

Regarding Scotte, he's just ribbing Harbaugh for the 49ers jumping all over a broadcaster for basically nothing, while letting a guy who was arrested for violence play on. Maybe the charges get dropped, but that doesn't mean violence didn't happen. It's reasonable to be a cynic.

Yeah...on second glance you may be right. What he said might have some merit and truth...but it was still insensitive and not very smart.

As for McDonald/Robinson, I understood. Also aware how much stuff is said just to get a rise out of me. :-D We don't know the facts on McDonald, but I'm pretty sure the 49ers do. They knew what Robinson did. Robinson isn't just "some guy" BTW. Radio Voice of 49ers is a big deal here. I assumed same was true in Seattle, but you guys could answer that better than I.

The longer this goes the more I think McDonald is innocent. That is based solely on the actions of the 49ers because if he did this....

WOW.

They will have a total PR nightmare on their hands. They've painted themselves into a corner now.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Probably shouldve just not mentioned it, being a team broadcaster, but he'll be fine.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2ponf1pb said:
Marvin49":2ponf1pb said:
Scottemojo":2ponf1pb said:
Marvin49":2ponf1pb said:

Freedom of Speech isn't freedom of consequences of speech. Freedom of speech applies to the governments ability to restrict speech, not what you say while acting as representative of a team on the teams flagship station.

People often confuse freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":27off7k7 said:
Well that is one way to defend your guy, just bury him for a couple weeks. Dang.. that is pretty harsh.

Lol.. sensitivity training, like the old Terry Tate Reebok commercials.
Terry Tate ruled. I wish we had a office linebacker where I worked! 8)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not even sure he is wrong.

I worked in shelters.

There were people that enabled their abusers and made excuses for them. And that behavior makes it hard for people to help these people that are legit trapped. Because there are women that are abused, subjected to horrific behavior and trapped with no way out. But scarce resources get squandered on women that enable their own abuse.

That is just the fact.

There are plenty of excuses that can be made, trust, love, stupidity - but they still willingly stay in a dangerous situation and so reap the consequences of that choice.

We hold other people that have bad situations or cannot control themselves accountable when they are overpowered by their demons, but with this subject everyone freaks out about "Blaming the Victim". Drug Addiction literally overwhelms people's ability to make decisions and they cannot control themselves - we still make them responsible for their behavior and accountable for the consequences of their actions.

But everyone rushes to defend someone who walks back into DV, making excuses for why she was victimized when she keeps putting herself in dangerous situations. Not saying his wife falls in that category, but I do not believe that with that visible of a stage she would have no recourse to get help.

If you keep a dangerous animal, you get bitten or worse. And if you excuse an abuser, you will be abused again. When it happens again if you did nothing to extricate you? Part of the responsibility for that now falls on you - because you continued to allow yourself to be in a position to be victimized.

I saw plenty of women that stayed in abusive situations when there were exits, and because of that their kids were victims too. They shouldn't get a free pass for that.

Rice's wife protected him after the fact and STILL protects him. I would rather people focus on helping the thousands of women in every city who deserve and NEED help to stop abuse of them and/or their children, rather than someone like Rice's wife who apparently enables it.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":4a31x07e said:
Jville":4a31x07e said:
Marvin49":4a31x07e said:
Scottemojo":4a31x07e said:

Freedom of Speech isn't freedom of consequences of speech. Freedom of speech applies to the governments ability to restrict speech, not what you say while acting as representative of a team on the teams flagship station.

It seems plain to me that Paraag Marathe and the 49ers have acted to govern what Ted Robinson can and can not say. That certainly restricts speech.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3aclxzu8 said:
The longer this goes the more I think McDonald is innocent. That is based solely on the actions of the 49ers because if he did this....

WOW.

They will have a total PR nightmare on their hands. They've painted themselves into a corner now.

Kind of like how the Ravens knew what Rice did from the start? Didn't that go on for several months as well? I'm interested to see how you downplay the parallels in the two cases.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":3ct5ncgc said:
Marvin49":3ct5ncgc said:
Jville":3ct5ncgc said:
Marvin49":3ct5ncgc said:

It seems plain to me that Paraag Marathe and the 49ers have acted to govern what Ted Robinson's can and can not say. That certainly restricts speech.

Wow.

You really missed the point.

Freedom of Speech is freedom to say what you want to say without being incarcerated by the government.

It is NOT the right to say whatever the hell you want to say and be completely free of the ramifications of what you say. If you are an employee of a company and you say something that reflects poorly on them they have the freedom to tell you to take a hike.

If you advocate for slavery, use the N word in every other sentence, and are a racist bigot in any comment you make, the government can't touch you. That doesn't mean that peeps cant take you off the radio and call you a bigot. That would be THEIR right of free speech to do so.

Again...people very often confuse freedom of speech and freedom from consequences.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OkieHawk":gjqr44dr said:
Marvin49":gjqr44dr said:

WOW.

Kind of like how the Ravens knew what Rice did from the start? Didn't that go on for several months as well? I'm interested to see how you downplay the parallels in the two cases.

Uh..its been a week and a half.

Parallels? Show me a video of him knocking her the hell out and I'm on board with any form of punishment you see fit.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":20ea9xt2 said:
OkieHawk":20ea9xt2 said:
Marvin49":20ea9xt2 said:

WOW.

Parallels? Show me a video of him knocking her the hell out and I'm on board with any form of punishment you see fit.

Wow, the initial report on Rice was when...oh yea, in March. And he got hit by the league when..that's right, in June and then the coup de grace this week. Keep spinning Marvin.

lsheldon

Reaction score
In other news, it turns out the 49ers hired Marvin to sit here all day and moderate what Seahawks fans say. That organization has an incredibly far reach.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OkieHawk":28e050lu said:
Marvin49":28e050lu said:
OkieHawk":28e050lu said:
Marvin49":28e050lu said:

WOW.

Wow, the initial report on Rice was when...oh yea, in March. And he got hit by the league when..that's right, in June and then the coup de grace this week. Keep spinning Marvin.

Who said anything about Rice? Ray McDonald was arrested a week and a half ago. There is no parallel.

Rice had his day with the DA and a complete police investigation. The Police haven't even given any evidence to the DA in the McDonald case so he hasn't even been charged. What little has been reported is nothing close to what happened in that elevator.

If Ray struck her, choked her, etc, I'm first in line to castrate the guy. So far tho, he hasn't even been charged with a crime. Its nothing but hyperbole at this point to make a comparison.