The end of the twelves

ringless

Reaction score
What if in 2016, no deal is negotiated with the Aggies and they revoke your rights to use the twelfth man. It is a possibility. The twelfth man jersey would have to be taken down. There would be no more marketing or advertising. Or use of the term.

I would love it and hate it. Love it because well you guys are a divison rival. Hate it because I still like your team, and what the fans are able to accomplish at home. It definitely could change things if next year is your last as the twelves

JustTheTip

Reaction score
The Aggies can do what ever they want, it will never change the fact that I am a twelve. I am guessing most other twelves feel the same way.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It might be the last year as the 12th Man. That would not make it the last year as the 12s.

And the fans will be just as loud regardless of what name they're called.

kidhawk

Reaction score
We are already getting away from the 12th man phrase. The team has been using phrases like "the twelves" or "twelves" recently. It may be how they plan to work around the whole issue.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The retired 12 jersey says "Fan" not "12th Man". It would not be taken down.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Exactly they don't own the number 12 especially as it is on a Seahawks jersey. I think they are pushing their luck as far as waiting to see if Paul wants to turn loose his attorneys and push back. I don't believe your going to see the clink become suddenly silent, the fans that have been rabid for yrs suddenly silenced by some judicial decree of BS.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't think it will make the slightest difference.

Its not like peeps would stop showing up and being loud.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ringless":3lqbeudw said:
What if in 2016, no deal is negotiated with the Aggies and they revoke your rights to use the twelfth man. It is a possibility. The twelfth man jersey would have to be taken down. There would be no more marketing or advertising. Or use of the term.

I would love it and hate it. Love it because well you guys are a divison rival. Hate it because I still like your team, and what the fans are able to accomplish at home. It definitely could change things if next year is your last as the twelves

B.S. 12th man jersey will not have to be taken down. That's a retired number...any team can retire any number they want. Whether Texas A & M allows the use of 12th man or not...it has nothing to do with the jersey. They can still keep that number retired if they want. Besides it says "Fan" at the back of the jersey not "12th man". I'd like to see Texas A & M try to stop them from producing and selling those jerseys. They wouldn't win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All this would mean is the team, league, sponsors and radio/tv stations could no longer use the term "12th man," nor sell merchandise with the term "12th man."

But it wouldn't stop all the other casual words and uses of the term like "the 12's", etc. It's already a thing, sorry but you can't put it back in the bottle.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seeing as how the 12th Man phrase was coined half a century before Texas A&M started using it in another part of the country altogether, I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to strip them of the trademark they shouldn't have been given in the first place. Prior art would screw Texas A&M over in a big way; it's in their best interest not to poke the hornet's nest.

Words cannot express my lack of worry over this.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I really, really hope A&M decides to play hard ball over this and Paul Allen treats them like his team treated the Broncs in our last meaningful face off.

-bsd

Kaiser

Reaction score
Just like before we brought the term into the national spotlight, nobody will give two sh!ts what the aggies do with it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Kaiser":3m5tu0e1 said:
Just like before we brought the term into the national spotlight, nobody will give two sh!ts what the aggies do with it.
I just wonder where the stink was in the 80s. I remember the whole 12th man thing as a kid. A lot of folks were saying it and it was mentioned in media coverage all the time.

Was A&M crying about it them? I certainly don't remember it. They are starting to sound like Steve Jobs. Using tech that someone else created then claiming an idea is all theirs.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1yn31b73 said:
Kaiser":1yn31b73 said:
I just wonder where the stink was in the 80s. I remember the whole 12th man thing as a kid. A lot of folks were saying it and it was mentioned in media coverage all the time.

Was A&M crying about it them? I certainly don't remember it. They are starting to sound like Steve Jobs. Using tech that someone else created then claiming an idea is all theirs.
They did not trademark it til after that. Seriously. 1990.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
You can't trademark a number. I know, I tried to trademark 69 and was 86ed.

A

Anonymous

There are a whole lot of females in the Seattle crowd.

They would probably prefer to be known as a 12 instead of a 12th man. At least most of them, anyway.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Texas A&M has been in the midst of an aggressive legal campaign to defend its 12th Man trademark. The university has lodged complaints and threatened action against a group that includes a double amputee and cancer survivor who co-founded the site 12thManThunder.com promoting efforts to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Arnold, oddly enough, said he had never heard of Texas A&M’s 12th Man tradition, which dates back to the 1920s, until a few years ago.

“I had been around football and coached for a long time, and we always talked about the 12th man being the fan,” he said. “I honestly didn’t know about the A&M story until seven or eight years after we started the company.

A. This is how irrelevant A&M has become to the 12th Man. I scorn the stupidity of people who say the Seahawks "stole" the 12th Man from A&M. The term has long ago grown generic through common use.

B. This is the kind of people who are leading the charge to keep the 12th Man Aggie.

C. Paul Allen knows more about intellectual property rights than the entire faculty of A&M. The best case scenario for A&M is an extension of the previous agreement. When they first went to battle with us about it, they wanted us to not use it at all. I believe we "settled" with them in a go-away-kid-you're-bothering-me sort of way, and if we'd have seriously defended our use of the term then, we'd have mopped the floor with A&M's trademarks.

Not only that, but there are other NFL teams who want to use "12th Man" in their marketing and fan support. Denver, Buffalo, and Washington, all have previously used it in one form or another. A&M could find themselves in over their heads if they push too hard.