chris98251

Reaction score
Spygate - Patriots

Bountygate - Saints

Irsay DUI

Jerry Jones sexual Harrasment

Ray Rice Fiasco and cover up

Browns owner and his scandal

I know there is more anyone remember them.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Are you implying that none of those things would have happened if anyone else was commissioner? I hope not.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1tiy41o4 said:
Remember the show Playmakers that was on ESPN? Goodell's managed to turn that into reality.

Oh the one the NFL leveraged to being pulled with the possibility of the TV contract going somewhere else only to re up it with them after they cancelled it.

Or Disney I should say since they own ESPN.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2bleo9r4 said:
Are you implying that none of those things would have happened if anyone else was commissioner? I hope not.

I am saying that a strong commissioner may have an incident but like with Al Davis they would make sure they were outside looking in with a rogue owner and or someone that brought shame or bad press to the League and tell him to get his act together behind closed doors.

Belichick would not be a coach.

The Bounty Gate coaches would not be allowed back etc.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SeatownJay":1v45dmes said:
Remember the show Playmakers that was on ESPN? Goodell's managed to turn that into reality.

In the first and only season of Playmakers, there's a giant DV scandal (except she hits him and then hits her head when he shoves her away from him - not exactly Rice going all Little Mac in an elevator) and also a major concussion issue. No wonder the NFL got this thing cancelled as quickly as possible.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2kk5vkvf said:
SeatownJay":2kk5vkvf said:

In the first and only season of Playmakers, there's a giant DV scandal (except she hits him and then hits her head when he shoves her away from him - not exactly Rice going all Little Mac in an elevator) and also a major concussion issue. No wonder the NFL got this thing cancelled as quickly as possible.
Don't forget the gay player, the night club shooting, and the drug use.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
A commissioner with an iron fist would not last long in the league. Goodell makes the owners and the league money. Unfortunate as it is, he isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
SeatownJay":36b4g2o0 said:
Smelly McUgly":36b4g2o0 said:
SeatownJay":36b4g2o0 said:

I forgot about the gay player and the nightclub shooting! I just figured that IRL the drug use is more about weed than cocaine, so I gave that comparison a pass.

Man, I miss Playmakers. Time to bust out my complete series DVDs!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I love a good Goodell bash, but lumping in Irsay getting a dui with the other stuff? come on now.

rideaducati

Reaction score
None of the previous commissioners had their players followed by people that put pictures and videos on to this internet thing within seconds of something happening.

If the court system does next to nothing and forgives Rice, the woman that was beaten forgives Rice, why the hell is the NFL expected to dole out punishment? The people that should be held accountable are the prosecutors and the judge for doing nothing after seeing that tape. They didn't and now idiots blame Goodell. That's just dumb.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm still pissed about the rules he put in place to prevent his beloved east coast teams from traveling west more than twice per year. (The subtext of this rule is Shack Word the west coast teams, they're the ones that are far away!")

hawk45

Reaction score
Pendulum has swung back now. Initial surprise at goodell miscalculating the pr impact of this had turned to watching the media as well as everyone with an axe to grind against goodell utterly ignoring the actual criminals in the nfl.

It's transparent and low rent. I can see the case for firing or not firing goodell, and i dislike a lot of what he's done (behest of owners or not) but it's shameful that goodell is the news cycle now.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3jdmfe64 said:
SeatownJay":3jdmfe64 said:
Smelly McUgly":3jdmfe64 said:
SeatownJay":3jdmfe64 said:

I forgot about the gay player and the nightclub shooting! I just figured that IRL the drug use is more about weed than cocaine, so I gave that comparison a pass.

Man, I miss Playmakers. Time to bust out my complete series DVDs!

Though (now) clearly out of context, I stand behind my quote in your sig, smell. But note that I kept my sig, referencing your lack of football knowledge, football related... and added it only after another one of your personal attacks on me? I don't make such remarks to or about you. I tend to avoid you and your posts, there is nothing I can learn from you, and I don't talk smack to, or about anyone, if there is zero chance I can also do so to their face. You're not going to meet up with me...so what's the point? With that...which one of us does the phrase "internet tough guy" really pertain to? Stick to your soap operas, smell. I will remove your quote from my sig because it's not a lot for me to be proud of. Fish, barrel and all that. Have a productive day.

Goodell: Bringing Robert Mueller into the mix is a joke, imo. All this "former FBI head...." stuff is great assurance to the avg American that a real investigation is underway. The operative word in that quote is former. Mueller is for sale and his client has very deep pockets. Certainly he hopes to be used repeatedly by this client and it's clear the reps for this client (Mara and Rooney) have an agenda. They are calling this "an independent investigation" ? LMAO.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1kfnkobm said:
A commissioner with an iron fist would not last long in the league. Goodell makes the owners and the league money. Unfortunate as it is, he isn't going anywhere for a long time.

You don't think Goodell rules with an iron fist? I disagree.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawk45":208j448k said:
but it's shameful that goodell is the news cycle now.
Ray Rice likes this.
FacebookThumbsUp_32x32.png

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Even with all these incidents....isn't the NFL still more well-behaved overall than everyone not in the NFL?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2lsjuoca said:
Even with all these incidents....isn't the NFL still more well-behaved overall than everyone not in the NFL?
All things considered, yes, IMO. One point that people don't really think about is that football is a violent sport that also attracts violent personalities compared to say...Baseball, soccer, and basketball. That has to have an impact and is pretty much guaranteed to be harder to control, I'd think?

hawk45

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2f05qu40 said:

Yes but proportion of NFL dirtbags to genpop douchebags isn't at issue because our kids don't watch johnny the gas station attendant on TV, idolize him, cheer for him, and we don't pay our money to watch him and support him in his professional endeavors.

This goes for entertainers period. It's discretionary spending dollars here. If I watch an entertainer or group of entertainers, for whom publicity is part of their job, and they do something that means every time I see them I feel sick to my stomach, it doesn't matter if most of the group are good, it'll turn me off.

Following a team involves LIKING a team. If the Ravens kept Rice on the team using the logic that hey, *most* of our guys are good guys, and our team is proportionally more upstanding than most of the population, would that work out?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There are 53 players on 32 NFL teams and countless coaches and administrative staff. Of course there are going to be bad apples.

Blaming the league office every time someone messes up is like blaming PC/JS every time one of our players screws up off the field. You're also discounting the 24 hour news cycle, which magnifies every wrong thing a player, coach or owner does.

None of us apply the "Under Paul Allen's Watch" standard to our team, so applying that standard to the NFL seems a bit hypocritical.