Report: AP has been indicted on negligent injury to a child

nsport

Reaction score

Basis4day

Reaction score
Reports are now saying it's related to punishing his kid with a switch.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Basis4day":3gbzbxl0 said:

If that is the case, then this sounds bad for AP. I'm pretty sure he will get that mandatory 6 game suspension minimum.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1xgrwgex said:

The question, if that report is true, is what the "punishment" was. Swats on the butt or upside the head or elsewhere?

This is not a good year for the NFL

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1gy3pubq said:

My dad would have gotten a lot of NFL suspensions back in the day.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":3uswg5r0 said:
Basis4day":3uswg5r0 said:

The question, if that report is true, is what the "punishment" was. Swats on the butt or upside the head or elsewhere?

Very common in my parents' generation. I think i was a child right before spanking went out of fashion.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2n2au7q1 said:
kidhawk":2n2au7q1 said:
Basis4day":2n2au7q1 said:

Very common in my parents' generation. I think i was a child right before spanking went out of fashion.

I don't have an issue with a parent spanking a child whatsoever, but if he took a switch upside his head, that would be different. Also, hearing now that it was a visiting child and that there were injuries involved. This makes it much more complex than just simply disciplining y our own child

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":123zvs6a said:
Basis4day":123zvs6a said:
kidhawk":123zvs6a said:
Basis4day":123zvs6a said:

I don't have an issue with a parent spanking a child whatsoever, but if he took a switch upside his head, that would be different. Also, hearing now that it was a visiting child and that there were injuries involved. This makes it much more complex than just simply disciplining y our own child

I agree. Better let this story play out a bit.

pmedic920

Reaction score
In my day as a kid, the neighbor down the road would woop that "A". When you got home and the folks found out, you'd get another.

"A's" were meant for 4 things, pooping, sitting, whooping, and twerking. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":3nj72hss said:
Basis4day":3nj72hss said:
kidhawk":3nj72hss said:
Basis4day":3nj72hss said:

Agreed.

I'm not a fan of hitting your kids at all (I have 2), but circumstances do matter. Won't pass judgment tho till I hear a lot more.

kearly

Reaction score
I got far worse from a loving father, and I'm young enough to be a millennial. Physical punishment typically is not child abuse.

If he physically disciplined someone else's child, to me that is between him and that kid's parents. It's not something the authorities or NFL should be concerned over, unless it produced significant injury of course.

I fear for the next generation if parents aren't allowed to discipline their kids. I suspect the massive uptick in 21st century narcissism is equal parts internet and a culture that frowns upon physical discipline. There was a great article in Time magazine lately about how most infants display sociopath traits (for explainable biological reasons), but grow out of it due to life experience and discipline. If society curbs discipline you'll have more Joffrey Baratheon personality types running around in the world.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
I will say that I find it extremely odd that it is labeled an indictment - this indicates some pretty serious accusations. I'm definitely not an expert in any way - but I think if it's ordinary parental discipline that may result in the need for an investigation it would first be done by Social Services - where a full assessment might take place. This "indictment" is just disturbing, making it sound a lot more serious than a parent with a lost temper.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":nsi10crh said:
I got far worse from a loving father, and I'm young enough to be a millennial. Physical punishment typically is not child abuse.

Grey area. My sister-in-law works for CPS and she says you can hit a child with an open hand and but not a clenched fist. I'd never hit my children, but that's my personal choice and not an indictment on those who do.

Hitting them with a switch. Grey area. Dunno where to go with that. I'd suspect it would depend on the specific instance.

Marvin49

Reaction score
nsport":2jjx50sr said:
I will say that I find it extremely odd that it is labeled an indictment - this indicates some pretty serious accusations. I'm definitely not an expert in any way - but I think if it's ordinary parental discipline that may result in the need for an investigation it would first be done by Social Services - where a full assessment might take place. This "indictment" is just disturbing, making it sound a lot more serious than a parent with a lost temper.

Apparently this is the result of an investigation that's been going on for awhile. Dunno what to make of that.

endzorn

Reaction score
If you can't beat your children then who are you supposed to beat? An adult? No way, too risky. They might know karate.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":33rkrutw said:
If he physically disciplined someone else's child, to me that is between him and that kid's parents. It's not something the authorities or NFL should be concerned over, unless it produced significant injury of course.

Still waiting on verifiable facts, but I'm hearing that it was a visiting child and the boy went back to his mother who saw the "injury" and took him to the doctor. The doctor (I'm assuming under legal obligation) notified Texas authorities and an investigation began. Now we have an indictment.

I'm sure more facts will be forthcoming, but that is what I've heard thus far.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
We're talking Texas, so if there's an indictment then I'm guessing it's serious. And I've no idea why so many of you are bragging about being beaten severely as children, but that's for another thread in a different forum, I suppose.