New NFL Drug Policy Passed

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I saw Schefter mention that Josh Gordon's suspension has also been reduced to 10 games.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/510537615796613120[/tweet]

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/510570985452736512[/tweet]

Welker will be eligible as of this week

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/510570542236446722[/tweet]

NEUTRAL ARBITRATION: An Independent Arbitrator will hear appeals for positive test violations of both Substances of Abuse and Performance Enhancing Drug Policies. The NFL and NFLPA will jointly select, approve and pay for retention of 3-5 arbitrators.

· AMENDING MARIJUANA POLICIES: The threshold for a positive test for marijuana will increase to 35 ng/ml from the previous limit of 15 ng/ml. There will be additional steps for players who test positive for the substance before suspension.
· RETROACTIVITY: Discipline of players for certain violations in the 2014 League Year will have their discipline adjusted by certain aspects of the new policies.

· DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE: Players successfully rejected the league’s proposal to issue discipline upon arrest, prior to adjudication. A two-game suspension will be issued upon conviction or plea agreement for violations of law involving alcohol and driving.

· AMPHETAMINES: During the off-season, a first time positive test for amphetamines without a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) will now be evaluated under the Substances of Abuse Policy. During the season, a positive test without a TUE will continue to be a violation of the Performance Enhancing Drug Policy.

· HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE TESTING: Testing for hGH will occur in the 2014 season. Players have the right to challenge any aspect of the science of the hGH isoforms test. The collection of blood specimens is prohibited on game days.

· DISCIPLINE FOR BREACHES OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The NFL and NFLPA will have the right to retain independent investigators to review cases where player confidentiality as related to the drug policies has been breached. Employees of the NFL/NFLPA/Clubs, players, certified contract advisors (agents) and policy administrators found to be in violation will face fines up to $500,000 and/or termination or other discipline.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":2x1fdcbx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/510570985452736512[/tweet]

Welker will be eligible as of this week
Just in time for another concusion at c-link.

OrFan

Reaction score
They got it wrong, in my opinion. How can they not see that driving under the influence of alcohol is far more serious than smoking pot? Alcohol is the most violent drug there is. More people are killed involving someone who is drunk than all other drugs combined. They really need to wake up!

And yes, alcohol is a drug. Anyone who says it is not is not using their brain. It is a chemical that alters the brain's function - a drug.

ivotuk

Reaction score
OrFan":cfs2m1uj said:
They got it wrong, in my opinion. How can they not see that driving under the influence of alcohol is far more serious than smoking pot? Alcohol is the most violent drug there is. More people are killed involving someone who is drunk than all other drugs combined. They really need to wake up!

And yes, alcohol is a drug. Anyone who says it is not is not using their brain. It is a chemical that alters the brain's function - a drug.

True that.

Well the NFLPA got what they wanted. They held out that HGH testing as an Ace Card, and when Wes Welker got popped, they offered it up in order for the Broncos to get him back.

I wonder if that's Peyton Manning's influence?

hawker84

Reaction score
What a shocker and how convenient for the Broncos. Whatever we've beat welker with every team he's ever been on, week three will be no different. This league is a hot steaming mess right now.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Yes, this whole thing is just a ploy by the NFL to get Wes Welker back on the field to help Denver beat Seattle next week.

:roll:

Jville

Reaction score
OrFan":2ar2s4u6 said:

I think the NFL is attempting to stumble along as best it can in the environment it finds itself in from day to day.

Alcohol, marijuana and drug use is state sponsored and intertwined in western culture. The addictions are multifaceted and include financial addictions. State sponsorship and their benefactors are not going away.

Here, for your review, is a dependency link to a monthly allocation of liquor revenue to cities, counties, state general fund, mental health alcoholism & drug services account and city revenue sharing for the month of July 2014 as published by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.olcc.state.or.us/pdfs/MonthlyAllocationOfRevenue.pdf[/urltargetblank]

Reliable DUI revenues, on the other hand, are a huge mystery. Lots of hands dipping into that big undocumented revenue stream. Very limited disclosure wherever lawyers gather is common.

And of course, there are many other interest groups that realize financial benefit and are dependent on the addictions of others. It is imbedded in the fabric of American society.

In much of the world, state sponsored alcohol and drug dependency is an all to common policy. It doesn't surprise me that the NFL is struggling at coexisting with it.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3so8xn5s said:
Any word on Browner's suspension? Should be wiped out right?
No, because Browner's violation took place in 2013. Only violations that occurred in 2014 are subject to revision.

Melencause

Reaction score
OrFan":30dluf83 said:

So is sugar and fat then. =) I do agree with you though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeatownJay":28j97pp4 said:
RichNhansom":28j97pp4 said:
No, because Browner's violation took place in 2013. Only violations that occurred in 2014 are subject to revision.
Well, isn't that convenient! They need to call this the "Welker" or "Denver" rule.
Can't take Pey Pey's weapon away ya know!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ip8ziar said:
SeatownJay":3ip8ziar said:
RichNhansom":3ip8ziar said:
Well, isn't that convenient! They need to call this the "Welker" or "Denver" rule.
Like he going to survive our game anyway.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":18cm5z0x said:
Sports Hernia":18cm5z0x said:
SeatownJay":18cm5z0x said:
RichNhansom":18cm5z0x said:
Like he going to survive our game anyway.
Oh I agree, but that's besides the point. :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Does anyone know how this new policy would have affected us when we had our rash of PED violations? Pretty much every one I was aware of were positive tests taken during the off season. Am I wrong? If that is true then it seems our PED count would be much lower.

I also think this is kind of important when factoring in cheating vs just being young and dumb in the offseason out partying. It's one thing to be juicing during the season to gain an advantage but that shouldn't be compared to a June party where a player takes an aderall to keep partying.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
OrFan":3d59q5a5 said:

This, X1000