Harbaugh gives Levi's crowd lukewarm review

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":294zb1ue said:
:lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... witter_atn

Jim Harbaugh":294zb1ue said:
"I noticed, at times, it was good and loud, yeah," Harbaugh told reporters, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "And at times, it could be improved."

With all those penalties and poor performances, I'm not surprised.

The only thing surprising by that article was the writer putting in print the fact that Levi Stadium could possibly rival the CLINK in noise levels. Ummmmmmm NO

Marvin49

Reaction score
I was there.

...it was LOUD at the beginning of the game, but it did wane later on.

Much louder than Candlestick, but that's not a high bar to clear. Louder than the CLink? I've never been there so I can't say for sure, but I would highly doubt it.

Just watching it on TV its almost like the game is being played in a Beehive. There is just a constant buzz that's different than anywhere else. Dunno if its the acoustics that I'm hearing and just the way the mics pick up the sound or if that's what it actually sounds like.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kidhawk":zxh7w7w1 said:
RolandDeschain":zxh7w7w1 said:

Jim Harbaugh":zxh7w7w1 said:
"I noticed, at times, it was good and loud, yeah," Harbaugh told reporters, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "And at times, it could be improved."

The only thing surprising by that article was the writer putting in print the fact that Levi Stadium could possibly rival the CLINK in noise levels. Ummmmmmm NO

to be fair, he followed that up with "for all we know" which doesn't insinuate it was as loud as the CLINK.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2yr3gva4 said:
kidhawk":2yr3gva4 said:
RolandDeschain":2yr3gva4 said:

Jim Harbaugh":2yr3gva4 said:

to be fair, he followed that up with "for all we know" which doesn't insinuate it was as loud as the CLINK.

Didn't mean to insinuate that he said it WAS as loud, only that he said that it may be one day (he also added that the Niners needed to actually give them something to get loud about and this game wasn't it). I just don't believe that Levi Stadium will rival CLINK. Maybe I could be proven wrong one day, but I really doubt it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not that surprising given how much penalties took over the game and how much the team gave it away in the second half.

Heck, last year the 12th Man was booing their own team at the Clink against the Bucs, and that's regularly the most supportive fan base in the NFL.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Marvin49":lgl8w4ci said:
I was there.

Much louder than Candlestick, but that's not a high bar to clear. Louder than the CLink? I've never been there so I can't say for sure, but I would highly doubt it.

Just watching it on TV its almost like the game is being played in a Beehive. There is just a constant buzz that's different than anywhere else. Dunno if its the acoustics that I'm hearing and just the way the mics pick up the sound or if that's what it actually sounds like.

C'mon Marvin. I respect your football acumen, your loyalty to your team and truly enjoy your posts, but please. You've never been to the Clink so you can't say for sure? I've never been to the moon, but know there's less oxygen. It is known my friend, no need to highly doubt it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rjdriver":e9m8dju1 said:
Marvin49":e9m8dju1 said:
I was there.

C'mon Marvin. I respect your football acumen, your loyalty to your team and truly enjoy your posts, but please. You've never been to the Clink so you can't say for sure? I've never been to the moon, but know there's less oxygen. It is known my friend, no need to highly doubt it.

Welcome to .net where when you agree with the prevailing opinion you get criticized for not agreeing heartily enough.

LOL. :D

hawknation2014

Reaction score
LOL that Marvin doesn't know if CenturyLink is louder than Santa Clara.

:th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":11ntbg3q said:
LOL that Marvin doesn't know if CenturyLink is louder than Santa Clara.

:th2thumbs:

What part of "highly doubt it" was unclear?

Come on now. Don't be silly.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":17jecggq said:
I was there.

You haven't? Get up here for a game one of these years! And bring earplugs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":7tzxvby5 said:
Marvin49":7tzxvby5 said:
I was there.

You haven't? Get up here for a game one of these years! And bring earplugs.

I might. Tough with an 8 year old and a 4 year old tho.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
They were talking about this on the radio in the Bay Area. They said that new stadiums = more expensive tickets, more expensive food, more expensive everything.

You aren't going to see the same crowds that you saw at Candlestick, especially for the first few games. All the rich business guys are going to be paying the money for these games. Very similar to the crowd at a Superbowl.

The radio guys even said "the people there only cared about the food. You'd never see that at Century Link: people getting up in the middle of the 3rd quarter to go grab a bite to eat. You get to your seat and yell!"

They said it was extremely quiet in the crowd, even when the Niners were doing good.

it's probably going to take a while until the "real fans" can afford to get tickets to the game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkFan72":rmlyy7ug said:
They were talking about this on the radio in the Bay Area. They said that new stadiums = more expensive tickets, more expensive food, more expensive everything.

You aren't going to see the same crowds that you saw at Candlestick, especially for the first few games. All the rich business guys are going to be paying the money for these games. Very similar to the crowd at a Superbowl.

The radio guys even said "the people there only cared about the food. You'd never see that at Century Link: people getting up in the middle of the 3rd quarter to go grab a bite to eat. You get to your seat and yell!"

They said it was extremely quiet in the crowd, even when the Niners were doing good.

it's probably going to take a while until the "real fans" can afford to get tickets to the game.

I'm not going to discount this entirely...

...but what I've noticed here locally with the guys on the radio is that there is a HUGE SF bias about almost all of their commentary. I don't mean "we are 49er homer" bias, I mean "we are SF, what the hell is Santa Clara" bias. The local sportstalk stations (KNBR and 95.7 The Game) are both IN SF.

Damon Bruce, whom I usually enjoy quite a bit, said something annoying as hell the other day.

He said essentially that they weren't fooling anyone and that you can't charge "SF Prices" and not be in SF. It doesn't work.

I HATE that attitude. Always have. SOOOOOOO much arrogance by the people in SF about every other place in the Bay Area. Guess what Damon, San Jose (which is in Santa Clara County and directly next door to Santa Clara City) is LARGER than SF in both size and population. It also is the heart of Silicon Valley which has some of the highest disposable income per household in the country. I can't stand the city. I live 45 min away and I never go there.

Why did the Niners move to SC? Not because its the boonies and it was cheap. It's because THE MONEY IS THERE. That's why the A's wanted to move there and the Giants won't let them (Giants own territorial rights). That's why the Sharks ARE there.

Comments I read about how it'll be the "corporate" crowd? Bogus. over 50% of the season ticket base was ALREADY from the south bay.

Will there be less noise? Possibly...but also a lot less stabbings and shootings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kinda the same article reposted, but still funny.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -improved/

What did the 49'ers think was going to happen building a stadium where it takes your season ticket holders that were used to taking a cab downtown in 20 minutes to now driving two hours?

I guarantee you what's going to happen is 50% of their season ticket holders are going to pick 3-4 games to go to, and broker the rest.........which will result in what you saw opening night, a lame crowd full of the other team's fans.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fsjlvov said:

What did the 49'ers think was going to happen building a stadium where it takes your season ticket holders that were used to taking a cab downtown in 20 minutes to now driving two hours?

I guarantee you what's going to happen is 50% of their season ticket holders are going to pick 3-4 games to go to, and broker the rest.........which will result in what you saw opening night, a lame crowd full of the other team's fans.

Faulty thinking on the bolded.

You are making the assumption that most 49er fans are from SF. They aren't.

More than 50% of the Season Ticket Holders at Candlestick were from the South Bay compared to somewhere in the teens in SF. While moving AWAY from the city, the team actually moved CLOSER to its season ticket base. People get this sense for some reason that the 49ers moved out of SF and into the boonies or something. They didn't. They moved into an area with a BIGGER population, a BETTER infrastructure, and most importantly MORE MONEY. The stadium is less than 5 miles from HQs for Google, Yahoo, Apple, Cisco, and many others. BTW...Candlestick and Levis are 45 min apart...not 2 hours. While peeps make jokes about the size of Santa Clara, what they miss is that the cities immediate neighbor is San Jose...the Largest City in the Bay Area by population, the 3rd largest city in California, and the 10th largest city in the entire nation.

The average disposable income per household in the Bay Area is some of the highest in the country. Now...will there be a lot less belligerent drunks, stabbings, and shootings? Yes...that crown may have been priced out of the building...and to be honest with 2 small boys I was much more concerned with the safety of my kids at a game than a potential homefield noise advantage.

It will get better though. Just takes time to become the new Season tix crowd.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ecj9g8n said:
Sgt. Largent":1ecj9g8n said:

Faulty thinking on the bolded.

You are making the assumption that most 49er fans are from SF. They aren't.

More than 50% of the Season Ticket Holders at Candlestick were from the South Bay compared to somewhere in the teens in SF. While moving AWAY from the city, the team actually moved CLOSER to its season ticket base. People get this sense for some reason that the 49ers moved out of SF and into the boonies or something. They didn't. They moved into an area with a BIGGER population, a BETTER infrastructure, and most importantly MORE MONEY. The stadium is less than 5 miles from HQs for Google, Yahoo, Apple, Cisco, and many others. BTW...Candlestick and Levis are 45 min apart...not 2 hours. While peeps make jokes about the size of Santa Clara, what they miss is that the cities immediate neighbor is San Jose...the Largest City in the Bay Area by population, the 3rd largest city in California, and the 10th largest city in the entire nation.

The average disposable income per household in the Bay Area is some of the highest in the country. Now...will there be a lot less belligerent drunks, stabbings, and shootings? Yes...that crown may have been priced out of the building...and to be honest with 2 small boys I was much more concerned with the safety of my kids at a game than a potential homefield noise advantage.

It will get better though. Just takes time to become the new Season tix crowd.

You just spent two paragraphs telling me I'm wrong and it's the same ticket base, and that the team's actually playing closer to those people...............then you ended with "takes time to become the NEW season tix crowd."

Well which is it, the same crowd who's supposedly closer now, or new ticket holders? I do think it's the same people, because that's how season tickets work, hard for new people to get tickets, especially with popular teams like the Niners.

So if it's the same people who are now supposedly closer and happier, why does the atmosphere suck?