Vikings message board shuts down, disgusted by both team and

ivotuk

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 59347.html

Overreact much?

Sounds like AP has been convicted in the Press. People have already decided that he is a child abuser which is pretty screwed up.

I think that's going too far to say he is a "child abuser" knowing how badly many children have been treated by parents, stepdads and "boyfriends."

Adrian Petersen has done a lot for his community but ever since the Ray Rice thing, people are willing to slander, accuse and convict anyone for anything. "Off with his head!"

Let's wait until the evidence comes out.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
ivotuk":3m5hzxlv said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/vikings-message-board-shuts-down--disgusted-by-both-team-and-fans-141959347.html

Overreact much?

Sounds like AP has been convicted in the Press. People have already decided that he is a child abuser which is pretty screwed up.

I think that's going too far to say he is a "child abuser" knowing how badly many children have been treated by parents, stepdads and "boyfriends."

Adrian Petersen has done a lot for his community but ever since the Ray Rice thing, people are willing to slander, accuse and convict anyone for anything. "Off with his head!"

Well said. It is just shocking how people are letting Twitter Mob justice rule the day. People are practically branded as communists for even suggesting, "perhaps we should just let due process occur and go from there."

Regarding AD, I honestly don't even know if he will be convicted. It took the prosecutors two submissions to a grand jury to secure an indictment, as the first time they declined to indict. And I'm guessing if the jury includes a rural farmer or two with 8 kids who work on the farm, getting a conviction is not guaranteed.

People need to take a deep breath. It is like sports McCarthyism right now, and not enough people are noticing it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ivotuk":3lbn2piv said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/vikings-message-board-shuts-down--disgusted-by-both-team-and-fans-141959347.html

Overreact much?

The evidence is out. He admitted he did it. People just think he went too far. I can see why some people would think he went too far too. He punished a four year old child by hitting him with a stick hard enough to break skin.

When the NFL waits until the charge is pled down and the player is given a slap on the wrist by the government, no one gives a damn when nothing is done by the NFL...unless there is video or photo evidence. People now want Goodell to dole out MORE punishment than the government does for NFL players. It's kind of ridiculous.

rideaducati

Reaction score
huskylawyer":281w2469 said:
ivotuk":281w2469 said:

Overreact much?

Well said. It is just shocking how people are letting Twitter Mob justice rule the day. People are practically branded as communists for even suggesting, "perhaps we should just let due process occur and go from there."

Regarding AD, I honestly don't even know if he will be convicted. It took the prosecutors two submissions to a grand jury to secure an indictment, as the first time they declined to indict. And I'm guessing if the jury includes a rural farmer or two with 8 kids who work on the farm, getting a conviction is not guaranteed.

People need to take a deep breath. It is like sports McCarthyism right now, and not enough people are noticing it.

Due process ran it's course with Ray Rice and due process let him off with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, yet people expect Goodell to dole out MORE punishment than due process did. These people need to aim their hatred toward due process instead of the NFL.

I'm sure due process will punish many NFL players less than people will DEMAND Roger Goodell to do.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1xkx23bp said:
ivotuk":1xkx23bp said:

Overreact much?

People need to take a deep breath. It is like Sports McCarthyism right now, and not enough people are noticing it.

That's a great term, you should copyright that :th2thumbs:

I just don't like the mob rules. It's the Salem Witch trials all over again. I haven't seen anything in AP's past to suggest that he's a bad person. And he admitted he spanked his kid with a switch.

I don't know that the pictures have been proven to be a direct link to AP yet. But if he did break skin, then he went too far, but I've seen parents do that when they lose their own cool. And in cases like those, they need to seek treatment, not go to jail.

If Petersen were a repeat offender, then I might understand some of the outrage, but in this case, I'd prefer to wait until the case plays out.

And making the NFL to blame for all of this is silly. This kind of shit goes on everywhere and the failure is with our lawmakers and enforcement. There aren't enough resources to handle the problem or laws to address it.

The one question I keep coming back to it why wasn't there this outrage before? When the KC LB shot his girlfriend in front of their little girl? It's not like this is the first time this kind of stuff has happened in the NFL, it's just all of a sudden everyone is out for blood.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
rideaducati":3enysrxh said:
huskylawyer":3enysrxh said:
ivotuk":3enysrxh said:

Overreact much?

Due process ran it's course with Ray Rice and due process let him off with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, yet people expect Goodell to dole out MORE punishment than due process did. These people need to aim their hatred toward due process instead of the NFL.

I'm sure due process will punish many NFL players less than people will DEMAND Roger Goodell to do.

I get that corporate entities and such aren't held to the same standard as the court systems. But the issues faced with the court system and private company discipline are relatively similar. If you go to soft, people will get mad. If you go hard, people will get mad. But right now, NFL discipline and shaming is more PR driven than anything.

People need to calm down. Like the court system, we acknowledge that "some people will get off and there will be some bad decisions" as a trade off for a relatively fair process. But now, in the NFL, it is "hang 'em high" based on how mad the public voices their displeasure.

I haven't seen anything like it. And though completely different level of impact on our real world lives, it reminds me of Patriot Act 2.0 - the Sports Version. People are just letting fear and social media mob rule set the agenda and consequences, and it is really disturbing (and a fascinating insight into human nature and how populism and collective group think can be dangerous).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not comfortable with our willingness to bend to the Twitter-outrage machine. Maybe I'm being naive, but I do think the people who are actually making these punitive decisions (e.g. teams, league officials) are trying to be thoughtful about it. Let the evidence come in; be partners with the legal system and don't try to supplant it. That process is becoming more and more clouded by the Twitter Mob's demands for instant action. The media hypes up the Twitter consensus because they want those clicks and those viewers.

I felt the same way about the witch hunt for Goodell. That's already calmed down significantly, but not before the Twitter Mob strong-armed the involved parties into wasting resources on a useless "independent investigation" into who saw what on tape.

This tendency we have to assume the worst of people and work our way upwards is truly the worst.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
You guys are giving too much worth to the"Twitter mob" and other supposedly amorphous groups of powerful people.

The NFL and respective teams are about profit. If fans of a specific team or the league in general are aggravated at players because of personal conduct or perception thereof, it's not a magical "Twitter mob". It's the customers being upset about the product, which is why Ray Rice was ultimately cut by the Ravens.

The internet has merely accelerated access to this information. If this stuff happened in the 80s nobody would really care about it. The NFL enjoys great profit potential due to the ability to push its product through the internet; it has to deal with the other side of that as well.

There's a difference between the legal process and an employer. The NFL is a more interesting employer because it's expectations of conduct for their employees far exceed that of a normal person.

The Vikings have to figure out where they stand to lose more money as this develops in keeping their best player off the field or dealing with the ire of people who are upset at him.

I find Huskylawer's use of Communism and McCarthy to be intellectually lazy, particularly if there was an actual law degree attained.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Even if what Peterson did wasn't criminal, it's not as if he is claiming he didn't do it. He's admitted to doing it. This in and of itself is enough reason for companies to want to distance themselves of it and enough for the NFL to consider it under the personal conduct policy. What is legal or illegal isn't always something that coincides with what is right or wrong or what is going to be an issue with the public (which becomes a profitability issue). Public perception is very much a real thing in the business world. Right now Peterson is a black eye on the team and the league. On the other hand he has a long history of profitability with the league. This is why you are seeing what seems to be conflicting idea on what to do with him. Minnesota benches him, then reinstates him without any real change in facts. They want him to play but they want to also appease those who are upset. They are in a no win position with their fan base. The NFL will need to step in at some point and make the call for them. It's the only way the Vikings can save face with the vast majority of their base.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3g9d5unb said:
You guys are giving too much worth to the"Twitter mob" and other supposedly amorphous groups of powerful people.

The NFL and respective teams are about profit. If fans of a specific team or the league in general are aggravated at players because of personal conduct or perception thereof, it's not a magical "Twitter mob". It's the customers being upset about the product, which is why Ray Rice was ultimately cut by the Ravens.

The internet has merely accelerated access to this information. If this stuff happened in the 80s nobody would really care about it. The NFL enjoys great profit potential due to the ability to push its product through the internet; it has to deal with the other side of that as well.

There's a difference between the legal process and an employer. The NFL is a more interesting employer because it's expectations of conduct for their employees far exceed that of a normal person.

The Vikings have to figure out where they stand to lose more money as this develops in keeping their best player off the field or dealing with the ire of people who are upset at him.

I find Huskylawer's use of Communism and McCarthy to be intellectually lazy, particularly if there was an actual law degree attained.

The Twitter mob skews and influences our perception of what the "public" feels about any particular topic. You say the customers are upset. How many people that you know in real life are truly upset? Are there picketers outside Vikings stadium? Has Gallup conducted a poll? Twitter gives a forum to the public and fringe "journalists" to soap-box without doing any research or sourcing any facts. That doesn't mean their views are held as passionately by the true "public." In reality, you are the one giving more credence to this group because you assume its viewpoint is representative of the public at large. In instances where the Twitter sentiment does permeate to real life, the outrage is often fueled by a number of half-truths and poor assumptions that are hallmarks of Twitter journalism.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2l5y8lfh said:

Top 5 law school degree obtained (Michigan Law - GO BLUE!!), but I digress. 8)

I think you are smart enough to know that I'm not making a literal connection. The fact of the matter is that fear, righteous indignation and collective group think that occurs in a reactionary environment (spurred on by the ease of communication created by social networking, e.g., Twitter) has caused a "bandwagon" effect IMHO that causes people to not think rationally, and instead, reactionary.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":2xuufkuu said:

The evidence did come out, he admitted to a grand jury in texas that he hit his 4 yr old son with a switch up to 10 times...................and another case of "punishing" another of his kids so hard that it left a scar on his forehead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /15694615/

People SHOULD be disgusted, this is not acceptable behavior for any parent. I'm not a spanker or big on corporal punishment. IMO it's just being a frustrated parent and bullying your kids. But when you "punish" your kids so hard it leaves scars and marks like the kid was whipped?.......it's time to get the authorities involved, because this is not a fit parent.

btw, Peterson won't even tell people how many kids he's had by how many different women. Most think 7 or 8, and one died last year THAT HE NEVER EVEN MET. WTF!

It's time to stop the madness with this guy. He might be one of the greatest football players of all time, but he's a piece of crap human being.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xn1eo1t said:
ivotuk":1xn1eo1t said:

The evidence did come out, he admitted to a grand jury in texas that he hit his 4 yr old son with a switch up to 10 times...................and another case of "punishing" another of his kids so hard that it left a scar on his forehead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /15694615/

People SHOULD be disgusted, this is not acceptable behavior for any parent. I'm not a spanker or big on corporal punishment. IMO it's just being a frustrated parent and bullying your kids. But when you "punish" your kids so hard it leaves scars and marks like the kid was whipped?.......it's time to get the authorities involved, because this is not a fit parent.

btw, Peterson won't even tell people how many kids he's had by how many different women. Most think 7 or 8, and one died last year THAT HE NEVER EVEN MET. WTF!

It's time to stop the madness with this guy. He might be one of the greatest football players of all time, but he's a piece of crap human being.

*sigh*

What if he made a mistake? Does that wipe away all the charitable stuff he has done in the past? You know, things his All Day Foundation, Got Your 6, Starkey Hearing Foundation, THORN, Tim Tebow Foundation, all of which he has contributed to financially and with his time?

Jesus, he isn't the second coming of Pol Pot. He could have disciplined hard, and he made a mistake of going to hard on his kid. That doesn't equate to "piece of crap human being" in my book, but instead, someone who is human and made an idiotic and stupid mistake. It makes him a parent, and God knows I've made mistakes as a parent, but I learn from them and move on.

People need to get a grip. And the fact of the matter the first grand jury DECLINED TO INDICT. So it isn't so black and white. As I've said before, I would not be surprise if he is acquitted, because if the jury has a few rural Texan farmers with large families that believe in harsh discipline (which tends to happen when you have your kids working on dangerous situations on a family farm), I can see him walking (and Hardin is his lawyer, i.e., a great Southern lawyer). Taxans tend to be isolationist and have a "don't tell us Texans how to act you hippies." mindset. Hardin is going to play into that, like he did the Clemens trial..

Sure, in progressive, kumba-ya King County we are shocked and horrified. But I'm not so sure a place like rural Texas is going to have the same sensibilities as up here.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":qvi12ttc said:
I saw the pictures of his kid.

I'd be ashamed to be a fan in support of him.

I don't think anyone "supports" AD's acts. I think people are saying, "Let's take a deep breath, hold up and see how things shake out. We don't need to brand him a serial killer and throw away the key"

How that is a controversial viewpoint is beyond me, but again, I'm not one to overreact.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
huskylawyer":3aigjivh said:
Tech Worlds":3aigjivh said:

I don't think anyone "supports" AD's acts. I think people are saying, "Let's take a deep breath, hold up and see how things shake out. We don't need to brand him a serial killer and throw away the key"

How that is a controversial viewpoint is beyond me, but again, I'm not one to overreact.
What is there to shake out? We have seen the pictures of the abuse. What more can "shake out" to make any reasonable person want this child beater on the team?

Oh wait... He runs fast and scores touchdowns.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1wyny2pn said:
huskylawyer":1wyny2pn said:
Tech Worlds":1wyny2pn said:

What is there to shake out? We have seen the pictures of the abuse. What more can "shake out" to make any reasonable person want this child beater on the team?

Oh wait... He runs fast and scores touchdowns.

Like, seeing whether his "peers," i.e., those on the actual jury think he is guilty of a CRIME? Is that difficult to ask? You do realize that the prosecutor asked a grand jury to indict, and they initially said NO (they secured an indictment after Ray Rice outrage). The fact that 6-12 individuals on a grand jury declined to indict at first (when you can "indict a ham sandwich") is telling. So just because YOU are outraged does not mean that other people with different viewpoints are equally outraged. I thought Rodney King got his ass beat by some cops, and it was on video. The initial jury disagreed.

Hardin's defense is going to be, "yes, he disciplined the kid, but it was a mistake that does not rise to the level of criminal culpability." I can easily see a Texas jury buying that.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3aeoyha2 said:
bmorepunk":3aeoyha2 said:

The Twitter mob skews and influences our perception of what the "public" feels about any particular topic. You say the customers are upset. How many people that you know in real life are truly upset? Are there picketers outside Vikings stadium? Has Gallup conducted a poll? Twitter gives a forum to the public and fringe "journalists" to soap-box without doing any research or sourcing any facts. That doesn't mean their views are held as passionately by the true "public." In reality, you are the one giving more credence to this group because you assume its viewpoint is representative of the public at large. In instances where the Twitter sentiment does permeate to real life, the outrage is often fueled by a number of half-truths and poor assumptions that are hallmarks of Twitter journalism.

I didn't claim to know how many of their customers are upset. I did state that the Vikings are going to be walking the line between his value as a player and PR problems related to him. That is something that is a priority for them and will be until this gets squared away. They are working to figure out how this affects ticket sales and their other revenue streams.

I was at ground zero here in the Baltimore metro when the full Ray Rice video came out. I'm sure some people used Twitter in the matter, but it certainly wasn't the primary point of freakout. The national and local sports reporters and radio stations had propagated the information by 9 AM. There were a lot of people talking about selling their PSLs, coordinating throwing their Rice jerseys into a piles in the road in front of the stadium and the like. The Ravens successfully managed the Ray Rice message and somehow made a pretty obvious bad thing look not so bad (and had themselves convinced as well).

While Twitter is a ridiculous medium, the real focus of this is going to be national and local sports reporters in Minnesota.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
huskylawyer":269wxmw4 said:
bmorepunk":269wxmw4 said:

Top 5 law school degree obtained (Michigan Law - GO BLUE!!), but I digress. 8)

I think you are smart enough to know that I'm not making a literal connection. The fact of the matter is that fear, righteous indignation and collective group think that occurs in a reactionary environment (spurred on by the ease of communication created by social networking, e.g., Twitter) has caused a "bandwagon" effect IMHO that causes people to not think rationally, and instead, reactionary.

Populism lived vibrantly without Twitter. Given this age of slacktivism, the correlation of people doing whatever stupid thing they are doing on Twitter is probably not high to people who will actually do something to change the situation.

I think you guys give way to much credit to Twitter and the user base as a whole.