Andrew Luck not as good as RW with throws beyond 10 yards?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Heard that on TV the other day, I think it was NFLN, searched but couldn't find it mentioned online, but I did find this interesting Phil Simms article from November 2nd 2011

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... drew-luck/

There’s a lot to him. I think his best quality, by far, is he’s big and strong and he’s going to be able to move and run in the NFL. There’s no question. I mean, this guy is strong. The throwing? He manages a game. I see all that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HOW DARE YOU CRITICIZE THE NFL'S SAVIOR AND GOD OF INDIANAPOLIS, ANDREW "I MAKE NECK BEARDS LOOK GOOD" LUCK?!

Donk70

Reaction score
Call me a homer, or whatever else you want, but from what I've seen of Luck in the NFL so far, I'm not overly impressed. When he came out, I expected to see a kid playing like a seasoned vet and I have yet to see that. The colormen all gush over him, but I must not have the same trained eyes that they have. I don't get it.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cracked me up during the game when they flashed up on the screen "Andrew Luck's 50th touchdown pass!" As if it were some huge accomplishment. Everyone rejoice! :)

253hawk

Reaction score
Pfffft, Wilson hit 50 last year in week 13...and he's not even 6' tall.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Didn't read the article but on the title of the thread...

...makes perfect sense to me based on the types of offense they run.

The Colts WANT to run the ball the way the 49ers and Stanford do (Pep Hamilton coached under Harbaugh and Shaw at Stanford) but they just don't have the horses. That's why they traded for Richardson. They just can't. As a result Luck sees a lot more men in coverage than Wilson does.

A lot of Wilsons downfield passing is predicated on Play Action off a STRONG running game. Th result is he sees alot fewer defenders in coverage and often more space to throw to.

To be clear I'm not insulting Wilson here because the Colts are trying to do the exact same thing for Luck...they just haven't succeeded. This isn't an indictment of Wilson...its a compliment to play design and Marshawn Lynch.

mikeak

Reaction score
Marvin49":cfu41io8 said:
Didn't read the article but on the title of the thread...

...makes perfect sense to me based on the types of offense they run.

The Colts WANT to run the ball the way the 49ers and Stanford do (Pep Hamilton coached under Harbaugh and Shaw at Stanford) but they just don't have the horses. That's why they traded for Richardson. They just can't. As a result Luck sees a lot more men in coverage than Wilson does.

A lot of Wilsons downfield passing is predicated on Play Action off a STRONG running game. Th result is he sees alot fewer defenders in coverage and often more space to throw to.

To be clear I'm not insulting Wilson here because the Colts are trying to do the exact same thing for Luck...they just haven't succeeded. This isn't an indictment of Wilson...its a compliment to play design and Marshawn Lynch.

I have RW in the highest regard since I watched him at my Alma Mater for 3 years, followed him when playing at Wisconsin and was truly stoked when Seattle drafted him (knowing he would redeem the failure of Koren Robinson).

With that said - I agree 100% with you on this Marvin but it is not worth it. To most people here it will continously come down as a slight on RW when people say that Luck is good and could be great on the right team. This is one of those debates not worth getting into

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":1rl8qdo7 said:
To most people here it will continously come down as a slight on RW when people say that Luck is good and could be great on the right team. This is one of those debates not worth getting into
I think virtually all Luck haters on this board agree that he is good, and could be great. Greatness remains to be seen from him. It's the fact that for FIVE YEARS NOW, ESPN has presented him as the second coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and it has gotten very annoying.

Donk70

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1l5c964j said:
It's the fact that for FIVE YEARS NOW, ESPN has presented him as the second coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and it has gotten very annoying.
This

Ozzy

Reaction score
Marvin advanced stats just don't bear this out though when you look deeper into both situations and watch actual game tape. Wilson is just a more accurate downfield passer than Luck and you can't just chalk it up to a better running game or seeing less defenders. People who have taken much more time studying both situations always come back more impressed with what Wilson does.

I'm not a Luck hater and actually hope he does well. Wilson has just been better at this point. I hope both turn out to be all time greats for what its worth.

253hawk

Reaction score
Never been a fan of emotional, hot-head QB's.

helmet.gif

That helmet is supposed to protect you, buddy.

camdawg

Reaction score
mikeak":1ao6ziyt said:
Marvin49":1ao6ziyt said:
With that said - I agree 100% with you on this Marvin but it is not worth it. To most people here it will continously come down as a slight on RW when people say that Luck is good and could be great on the right team. This is one of those debates not worth getting into

I don't think most people have a problem with saying Andrew Luck is good-he is.

I'm guessing most of those people would also not have a problem with saying Andrew COULD be great.

The disagreement comes when people say Andrew Luck IS great, right now.....he's not, yet.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Listening to the radio this morning and heard two announcers say the two most under rated QB's in the league are Ryan (I agree with) and Luck.

They went on a diatribe about how Luck carries a completely talent-less team, has no running game and has to throw to glorified punt returners and Reggie Wayne is a has been. The Colts would be a two and 14 team without Luck, on and on.

I threw up in my mouth a little bit. The amount of exaggeration and over the top reviews this guys gets is sickening. The last game he threw a pick to lose the game and the announcers were all over the play saying the receiver fell down and he was blatantly mauled by the DB and it should have been PI. Sorry but the piling on has become sickening.

Truth is he is what he is. A guy that threw more Int's in two games last year (7) than any other QB threw all post season and maybe more than all of them combined.

He is a good QB, no doubt but why not wait until he proves something? His GM did get GM of the year his rookie year and the claim was that he did an amazing job surrounding Luck with talent. Now suddenly he is the worst GM in the league? Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

The funny thing is the conversation wasn't even about Luck or the Colts. It was about the MNF game and how good Ryan looked but they spent all af about one sentence talking about the game and then went into the under rated QB convo that led to 20 minutes of slobbering on Luck before I had to get out of my truck and go into work. Who knows how long they continued to worship him and remember this is after he just lost with a last minute Int and is currently 0-2. Imagine the media if Luck actually had RW's stats? I think I would be turned off to sports completely.

I can't speak for others but this stuff is why I root for Luck to fail. Having him relentlessly shoved down our throats as if we are suppose to close our eyes and ignore reality makes me hope he will continue on his path to trying to find greatness with very limited success.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The media outpaces themselves with every story. Theyre about 10 years further ahead of luck's career with all the knob slobbing. It constantly blows up in their faces when they say s*** without knowing anything, yet have to keep doing it because they need to force people to watch.

The andrew luck messiah crap was like nuking a dead horse before he even got drafted.

Anyway, on topic: someone did a chart of the most efficient downfield passers in the league this offseason, maybe deadspin. RW was #1.