So the Panthers defense?

ctrcat

Reaction score
Didn't look scary tonight. But IMO it's just one game. Hardy is a difference maker in the run game more-so than his back-ups, and a proud Steelers team with 10 days rest simply wanted to make a statement after being embarrassed on national TV only a week ago and doing nothing offensively recently. And they did in a big way. Doesn't look good for the Panthers, but the muffed punt/TD summed up their night. Benjamin still looks like the OROY.

googoodan

Reaction score
SNF was definitely hard to watch last week. Thomas Davis looked off all game long. Our secondary is worse than we all thought. AJ Klein flashed brilliantly last year vs. the 49ers but looked awful at times against the Steelers. Greg Hardy's absence kills our run defense; his backups are pure pass rushers.

Our offensive line taking the night off didn't help our defense get any rest at all. Honestly the Steelers should have dropped a 50 burger on us.

CANHawk

Reaction score
But but but, I thought Luke whassisname was the greatest defensive player of all time... surely his greatness can overcome the absence of one little old Hardy!

That's what the media has led me to believe anyway.

ctrcat

Reaction score
googoodan":2n68k070 said:
SNF was definitely hard to watch last week. Thomas Davis looked off all game long. Our secondary is worse than we all thought. AJ Klein flashed brilliantly last year vs. the 49ers but looked awful at times against the Steelers. Greg Hardy's absence kills our run defense; his backups are pure pass rushers.

Our offensive line taking the night off didn't help our defense get any rest at all. Honestly the Steelers should have dropped a 50 burger on us.

A wee bit harsh saying they could have hung 50 given that a lazy/weak 42 yard pass interference on a ball that wouldn't have been caught set up the Steelers first score, an offsides penalty on a 4th and 4 made FG attempt set up a TD, and the muffed punt/TD came at a time that the Panthers had all the momentum. It's a week to week league and tomorrow should be interesting.

Something else to watch-Hardy has been out two games, and four more for a total of six would make the Hawks his first game back, should that be the way it plays out. Adding Frank Alexander at DE after this week should add some degree of help as well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ctrcat":30xqz149 said:
googoodan":30xqz149 said:

A wee bit harsh saying they could have hung 50 given that a lazy/weak 42 yard pass interference on a ball that wouldn't have been caught set up the Steelers first score, an offsides penalty on a 4th and 4 made FG attempt set up a TD, and the muffed punt/TD came at a time that the Panthers had all the momentum. It's a week to week league and tomorrow should be interesting.

Something else to watch-Hardy has been out two games, and four more for a total of six would make the Hawks his first game back, should that be the way it plays out. Adding Frank Alexander at DE after this week should add some degree of help as well.
Question CtrCat, you think it's only a 6 game suspension or more like AP? Letting the justice system play out THEN the NFL brings the hammer?

googoodan

Reaction score
CANHawk":1r7x99rf said:
But but but, I thought Luke whassisname was the greatest defensive player of all time... surely his greatness can overcome the absence of one little old Hardy!

If you talk to enough Panthers fans, many will tell you Luke is only the second best linebacker on the team. Thomas Davis was not his usual self on SNF. Those two feed off one another - when one is off, the other will look horrible. Luke looked out of place most of the game.
I don't think the Steelers outsmarted him; he just didn't have Thomas Davis feeding everything his way.

homerun1970

Reaction score
It may not be the NFL that brings the hammer, it may just be the judges gavel and career over do to incarcerated Greg.

ctrcat

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1kowsi0x said:
ctrcat":1kowsi0x said:
googoodan":1kowsi0x said:

Question CtrCat, you think it's only a 6 game suspension or more like AP? Letting the justice system play out THEN the NFL brings the hammer?

Just an educated guess on my part. 6 game suspension for a first time DV offender is the new policy. In this case, it's complicated and unprecedented considering what's happened. 1) Hardy's event happened before the new policy. 2) the crime is a misdemeanor and he's a first time offender. 3) obviously (to me) Jerry Richardson caved to public pressure after the Ray Rice video and made Hardy inactive, with pay in this case or the NFLPA would outcry the other side since Hardy is still pleading innocence and couldn't be suspended without due process (a jury trial in this case by North Carolina law despite a judge from the bench saying guilty)-and maybe he is guilty, but there appears to be the possibility of reasonable doubt.

Simply put-if he's guilty, he'll pay back the salary he's making currently for these six games. If he's innocent, he's still getting paid now, the NFL and Panthers save public relations face, Hardy gets over half the year to prove himself franchise DE worthy, and the Panthers don't lose 13.1 million and a franchise tagged DE for an entire season.

JMO.

CANHawk

Reaction score
googoodan":pv9coxfr said:
CANHawk":pv9coxfr said:

If you talk to enough Panthers fans, many will tell you Luke is only the second best linebacker on the team. Thomas Davis was not his usual self on SNF. Those two feed off one another - when one is off, the other will look horrible. Luke looked out of place most of the game.
I don't think the Steelers outsmarted him; he just didn't have Thomas Davis feeding everything his way.
I don't think Kuechly could carry Bobby Wagner's jock if he borrowed a wheelbarrow.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Thanks! Playing the best player in team history is a weird day for any franchise, which many franchises have not had to do-in this case a 20 year old franchise who has disappointed when expectations were greatest and shinned when they weren't.

frosted21

Reaction score
CANHawk":14agsjip said:
googoodan":14agsjip said:
CANHawk":14agsjip said:

I don't think Kuechly could carry Bobby Wagner's jock if he borrowed a wheelbarrow.

You are wrong, they are both amazing players, don't know why you have to discredit other great players to try to make your guys cases. You don't know what you're talking about.